• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket Summer 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Marsh makes a 100 here I will forgive him almost anything.

This is just classic Marsh, comes into the side much to everyone's frustration, makes runs under pressure and then usually follows it up with a streak of low scores and ends up getting dropped again. He's always looked very good technically to me, hopefully this time he can continue his form.

Steve Smith is just a class player, always rises to the occasion. The way his career is panning out he could well go down as the best batsman in the modern era. That said I thought England bowled really well today and deserved there four wickets. Test has been a great contest thus far.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Wow, huge win. Bancroft and Warner were outstanding. I don't think England necessarily played that badly for the first couple of days but massive psychological blow not being able to take a wicket in the second innings.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
looks like Warner may be out for the 2nd test. Maxwell to be his replacement. Another player is in doubt as well for Australia whilst Anderson has a sore shoulder for England.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
looks like Warner may be out for the 2nd test. Maxwell to be his replacement. Another player is in doubt as well for Australia whilst Anderson has a sore shoulder for England.
Maxwell to open? Obviously in good form coming off the 270 but might be better if Marsh opened with Bancroft and Maxwell went to 6. That said I expect the selectors will pick him as an opener because of aggression or something. Anderson will be a big blow for England, he would be a handful under lights with the pink ball.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Another Aussie player? Probably time for Marsh to come down with another ailment. Hopefully, it's not one of the bowlers. Is James Pattinson fit and playing Shield yet?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Pattison's having some sort of experimental spinal fusion surgery, which I'm sure will work out fine.

But I'm pretty sure he's out for the Summer.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
M Marsh and Stoinis have been mentioned as options too. All indications are that they would prefer a medium pace all-rounder.

Cartwright would be my first choice but Maxwell probably deserves to be next cab off the rank. Stoinis, Wildermuth or Head all in the queue ahead of M Marsh.

Regardless, I think losing Warner would be a huge blow to our hopes of a clean sweep.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Maxwell to open? Obviously in good form coming off the 270 but might be better if Marsh opened with Bancroft and Maxwell went to 6. That said I expect the selectors will pick him as an opener because of aggression or something. Anderson will be a big blow for England, he would be a handful under lights with the pink ball.

S Marsh to open and Maxwell to bat at 5. Surely!

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I haven't read anything about Warner being injured at all. Don't think there is any danger of him being ruled out, unless I'm missing something?

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I haven't read anything about Warner being injured at all. Don't think there is any danger of him being ruled out, unless I'm missing something?
Yeah you're right, I had a look and couldn't find anything. Although apparently Chad Sayers is being considered given his recent bowling record at Adelaide Oval.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Warner was in doubt for the first test with a neck injury. It may have flared up again in his lengthy second innings. He certainly wasn't timing the ball as we're used to seeing.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Warner was in doubt for the first test with a neck injury. It may have flared up again in his lengthy second innings. He certainly wasn't timing the ball as we're used to seeing.

Warner said he was giving the new opener time in the middle.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Colin de Grandhomme (!) has today scored the equal 9th-fastest Test century ever in terms of balls faced (71) which statistically makes him the equal of Roy Fredericks*. I've also heard it's the fastest-ever maiden century but can't find a list to confirm it.**

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/wi/content/records/210170.html

* At Perth in 1975 v an attack comprising Messers Lillie, Thomson, Gilmour, Walker & Mallett.

**EDIT: cricinfo have come up with the list & dG beats out Gilbert Jessop by five balls:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/21637223/de-grandhomme-hits-fastest-maiden-test-hundred

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
How good is Shaun Marsh!?

Credit where it is due, he had a bit of luck but certainly repaid the selectors faith and proved a hell of a lot of doubters wrong. Fantastic knock right when we needed it.

Our bowlers were brilliant again today. It wasn't too long ago that I was calling for Lyon to be dropped, now its safe to say he's comfortably the best spin bowler in Australia, if not the world.

England were guilty of throwing wickets away... I can't see them escaping this test with any sort of result unless weather intervenes. 5-0 is certainly a possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.