• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket: Summer 2018-19

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Funny first session, lost early wickets but scored at 4 rpo. The Sri Lankans’ bowl the occasional peach but there’s also a four ball every over so you just need to be patient. Harris and Khawaja should be kicking themselves.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Looks like a flat deck, and now the ball has stopped swinging the bowling looks very playable. Kurtis Pattison will not get a better chance than this.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Looks like a flat deck, and now the ball has stopped swinging the bowling looks very playable. Kurtis Pattison will not get a better chance than this.

Or if he's unlucky one of these two will throw away their wicket right before the second new ball is due.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Looks a very flat wicket now.

Burns gets a seat on the plane, though a spot in the first test is far from guaranteed. There are still four Shield games to go (with the Duke ball) and an Australia A tour of the UK.

I reckon there are plenty more twists and turns to come, and I'd suggest the only three certainties at this stage are Warner, Smith and Head.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Looks like we're going to make our highest team total this summer in one day. Would have taken that at 3-28. This is Sri Lanka's second string attack so we shouldn't get too far ahead of ourselves but our goal definitely should be to rack up a score that allows us to only bat once.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That's fair, and I think he's a great player who probably should have been chosen in the first place.

I do think that now you've picked the squad, there's a risk you look silly if you add him in at this late stage.

Isn't it shitty when someone goes back over your older posts to point out just how wide of the mark you might have been?

But, Barb, it's not really a shot at you. Your post reminded me of a comment by Boof Lehman when interviewed recently. He claimed that it is easy for people to suggest names of players they think should be included but never put forward the names of those already in the team who should be dropped. That comment was just so wide of the mark, and really was an embarrassment coming out of someone so intimately connected with the game. Among many others at the time, I was quite prepared to name the two Marshes and Finch as players who were not then playing up to scratch. Fortunately, the selectors were effectively forced to make the changes being called for by dent of continued failures by the players concerned, but those changes could have and should have been made earlier. I think that there is an argument to say that many selectors are too close to the team and have personal connections with players so that they are loathe to act impartially when change is needed. True or not, that is the clear impression I am left with.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
An absolute road of a pitch now and we'll be lucky to see a result I think. Still, well done to Burns, Head and Patterson for taking their chances. All three will be on the plane to England now I think.

I guess if there is anything good to have come out of the last 12 months, it's that we've finally been able to take a look at some blokes who can be putting their name forward in the batting order and when you add Smith and Warner back into the mix it all of a sudden looks a fair bit stronger. Richardson also looks to be good enough to play at the top level.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I think there’s enough pace in the wicket to keep us interested. Lyon also looks dangerous against the left-handers.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Starc and Khawaja picking up very timely wickets and runs respectively. Obviously it’s not the same as scoring them against India but as both are confidence players it will help them get their mojo back. Head now averaging over 50 to cap off a successful summer—if the top order had been performing he probably would have had even more runs.