• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket Summer 2019-2020

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I agree with BR and Burns would be my choice, but he needs to make some runs to advance his case. Harris has scored fairly heavily already this season and I think will be given first crack at it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Sounds like the 14 player first test squad will be:

Warner
Burns
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Wade
Paine
Bancroft
Cummins
Starc
Hazlewood
Lyon
Pattinson
Neser

My guess is that Bancroft, Neser and Pattinson miss out on the XI.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Will Pucovski has stepped away from the game again. I have real doubts that he'll make the step up to test level now. There are clearly some lingering issues that are holding him back and until he's got them completely under control I don't think we'll see him in green. That's a shame for him and the cricketing public but the bloke's own welfare obviously comes first.

This recent spate of mental health issues among the elite players does ask the question about whether there are some serious shortcomings in player management, especially in Victoria.

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)

Warner
Burns
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Wade
Paine
Bancroft
Cummins
Starc
Hazlewood
Lyon
Pattinson
Neser

Like Burns but not sure how based on recent form he got in front of Khawaja? Our batting stocks are still concerning especially with Pucovski not available.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Warner
Burns
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Wade
Paine
Bancroft
Cummins
Starc
Hazlewood
Lyon
Pattinson
Neser

Apart from the obvious exceptions, that batting list screams "meh".

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I can’t really see how we’d be favourites without Smith in the side. At least one of Head/Burns/Wade needs to make proper runs this summer and lock down a spot. And by proper runs I mean a couple of hundreds rather than those 40-60s that were the best we could dish up against India last year. Even with potentially the second GOAT batsman, we’re not going to make it back to number one if the rest of the batting order is a merry-go-round.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
I can’t really see how we’d be favourites without Smith in the side. At least one of Head/Burns/Wade needs to make proper runs this summer and lock down a spot. And by proper runs I mean a couple of hundreds rather than those 40-60s that were the best we could dish up against India last year. Even with potentially the second GOAT batsman, we’re not going to make it back to number one if the rest of the batting order is a merry-go-round.

We'll be carried by the bowling attack no doubt. As long as Smudge scores some and A.N. Other gets some runs we'll be right.

Hopefully Neser will get at least 1 go this summer & I hope Starc doesn't get shafted either.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Some runs at the top of the order are going to be crucial. That new ball attack Pakistan have is raw but talented. Lose a few early in Brisbane and they'll be all over us. We can't have Smudge carrying the load because eventually he's going to have a run of lower scores and then we'll be buggered.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
So, Pattinson is unavailable for the first test. Apparently stood down for sledging (?). Starc must come in as third pace bowler, if he wasn't already earmarked for a start, but I'd really like to see him used as first change bowler. Let the shine come off a bit before introducing him as he always seems to have trouble controlling his swing in the first dozen or so overs of an innings.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
but I'd really like to see him used as first change bowler. Let the shine come off a bit before introducing him as he always seems to have trouble controlling his swing in the first dozen or so overs of an innings.

Brett Lee (I think) was calling for Cummins to take the new ball and I can't see too many arguments against giving the best bowler in the world the new rock. Good point about Starc being wayward but amongst the rubbish he often bowls a jaffa that breaks the opening partnership. Hoff would be a steady first change bowler that wouldn't give the opposition any respite should they survive the opening onslaught.

That said, I can't remember too many large opening partnerships against us at home since Cook and Strauss in '11. Whoever takes the new ball will probably be successful.

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
So, Pattinson is unavailable for the first test. Apparently stood down for sledging (?). Starc must come in as third pace bowler, if he wasn't already earmarked for a start, but I'd really like to see him used as first change bowler. Let the shine come off a bit before introducing him as he always seems to have trouble controlling his swing in the first dozen or so overs of an innings.

Homophobic slurs apparently and I think he realises he'd crossed the line.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Lost the toss. Pakistan batting.

As expected Starc, Cummins, and Hazelwood are the pace triumvirate.

Head returns to number 5, Wade's at 6, and Joey Burns is opening up in place of Harris.

Hopefully a bit of spice in the Gabba track early on.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Runs at the top order asked for and duly delivered. Well played by the openers and Marnus has come in and built on it. Let's see if we can add another 200-250 and not bat again.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Have to feel for these Pakistani kids getting thrashed mercilessly on a pitch not offering a lot. Really have to wonder why they left Abbas out of the side, they're sorely missing someone who can consistently bowl stump to stump and at least tie up an end.

We'll no doubt be looking to bat only once. It would be good if Marnus could get the monkey off his back and notch up his first test 100. He has so much time at the crease, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with a ~50 average. At 150+ not out overnight Warner also has a chance at something astronomical.

I'm expecting Smith not to know how to bat when it's not him against the world and go relatively cheaply.