• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket Summer 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Putting the Wobblies to one side, we have India touring this summer and the contest should be as mouth-watering as any Ashes summer. We were beaten comprehensively a couple of summers back by a very good Indian side when Warner and Smith were out in the wake of the ball tampering scandal. I expect us to be much better with those two back, the emergence of Labuschagne and a lot more stability for the side.

There is a both a three match ODI and t20 series at the end of November before the real stuff kicks off with the first test on December 17 in Adelaide. There are then three tests after Christmas with the usual Sydney New Year test pushed back to January 7 followed by a fourth test in Brisbane.

Shield cricket is buzzing along currently with Harris and Pucovski just recorded the highest ever partnership of 486. I'd say we might have room to bring in a new opener or number 6.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Cam Green from WA been doing strongly with the bat and has a solid record with the ball. parachute him into 6?

Bit of crystal ball gazing for the batsmen......

1. Pucovski
2. Warner
3. Lasagne
4. Smiffy
5. Head
6. Green
7. Paine (wk, c)
8. Starc
9. Cummins
10. Lyon
11. Hazelwood

Not sure about bowlers maybe go with the same

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Like that side Torp.

I'm more than a little upset at not getting any cricket over here this season, but I blame our Premier for that, not CA.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Pretty tough there, sticking the hand out would have been a reflex reaction.

Have NZ got anyone lined up to tour this summer? Seems like they could make it work pretty easily.

WI here for 3 x T20 & 2 x Tests from 27/11 then Pakistan 3 x T20 & 2 x Tests, Australia 5 x T20 - first one in Christchurch on 10th anniversary of the Earthquake - & Bangladesh 3 x ODI & 3 x T20.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Pucovski with another double century. Almost certain to debut now.

I've just read a re-printed Tele article about him, Geez he's either unlucky or clumsy, isn't he, I mean seven or eight concussions at 22 & all but one cricket-related. No wonder the kid has had some mental health issues. Hopefully he can put that stuff behind him but it's surely gotta play on your mind, I expect he'll be facing up to plenty of fast, straight & short stuff in his career.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Nothing better.

Batting outstanding, the bowlers look a bit rusty as a unit (Starc, in particular) but Hazelwood does the job as always and Zampa chimes in with Dhawan's wicket to wrap things up.

The most memorable ODI knocks are usually made when chasing but Smith's 100 today was very, very good. 3rd fastest Australian ODI hundred of all time. A couple of years ago he was criticised for not being able to play quickly enough but he seems to have had improved his power game of late.

Edit: I think we have two threads?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Run rates getting plenty of media attention and rightly so. Perhaps if they stop fining them money and start fining them runs.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Big day for Glenn Phillips in seconds no T20 at Bay Oval: 100 off 46 balls (NZ record by one ball), 184-run partnership for the third wicket (world record) with our latest SA import Devon Conway, dislocated his knee a ball before getting out (same thing happened in first game Friday night), put it back in & came out to field whereupon he threw down the stumps from side on for a runout & took a fairly decent catch in the deep:

IMG_1062.JPG

FTR: NZ 238/3 bt WI 166/9 by 72 runs & lead the three-match series 2-0.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/crick...ng-century-from-glenn-phillips-spearheads-win

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Big day for Glenn Phillips in seconds no T20 at Bay Oval: 100 off 46 balls (NZ record by one ball), 184-run partnership for the third wicket (world record) with our latest SA import Devon Conway, dislocated his knee a ball before getting out (same thing happened in first game Friday night), put it back in & came out to field whereupon he threw down the stumps from side on for a runout & took a fairly decent catch in the deep:

View attachment 11947

FTR: NZ 238/3 bt WI 166/9 by 72 runs & lead the three-match series 2-0.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/crick...ng-century-from-glenn-phillips-spearheads-win
Tough bastard.

What's the deal with dislocated knees? I was once told by an instructor on a rugby tour that a dislocated knee would put you out of sport for 2 years. Sounded like bullshit at the time.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ sounds like a lateral ligament issue, the patella "pops" out but it's fairly easy to put it back in as the ligament is being stretched rather than torn/ rupturing.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Another brilliant innings from Smith with the hundred again coming off 62 balls. Hopefully, we'll see some fireworks from Maxi to push the total up near 380 again.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Sometimes the New Years Eve fireworks on Sydney Harbour aren't as impressive.
I know what I’d rather buy tickets for and watch.

Looks like we’ve finally got the middle order right. Going forward, I’m not sure we should automatically include Stoinis in the side when he returns from injury. When we didn’t have him chewing up so many balls as he got himself in we were able to maintain a good scoring rate throughout overs 30-40.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I know what I’d rather buy tickets for and watch.

Looks like we’ve finally got the middle order right. Going forward, I’m not sure we should automatically include Stoinis in the side when he returns from injury. When we didn’t have him chewing up so many balls as he got himself in we were able to maintain a good scoring rate throughout overs 30-40.

Personally I'd like for Stoinis not to get picked just to spite Shane Warne.

He still managed to spend a long time yesterday talking about him.

I am an unabashed fanboy of Moises Henriques though. Great to see him get an opportunity again and play really well. His catch to dismiss Kohli was a screamer.

Status
Not open for further replies.