• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket Summer of 2014/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Who is Sean Abbott?

decent little all rounder from NSW.

Most relevant piece of information there, when considering his selection, is the last one.

Classic Queenslander response. Can we talk about Chris Hartley getting snubbed next? ;)

I don't really rate Sean Abbott but what they like about him is that he's young, and is a bowling all rounder who is an excellent fielder. He bowls 140-145km/h and can hold a bat.

He fits in well with Cricket Australia's unholy infatuation with all rounders, particularly for the shorter forms of the game.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Classic Queenslander response. Can we talk about Chris Hartley getting snubbed next? ;)

I don't really rate Sean Abbott but what they like about him is that he's young, and is a bowling all rounder who is an excellent fielder. He bowls 140-145km/h and can hold a bat.

He fits in well with Cricket Australia's unholy infatuation with all rounders NSW players, particularly for the shorter all forms of the game.

Fixed:) Hartley is the form keeper of the season so far and arguably the last couple, he deserves a go.

Jokes aside, I have watched a lot of the BBL over the few seasons and Abbot is not a player that I recall hearing about or seeing. The team that ran out last night was pretty bad for even an Aus A side.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Fixed:) Hartley is the form keeper of the season so far and arguably the last couple, he deserves a go.

Jokes aside, I have watched a lot of the BBL over the few seasons and Abbot is not a player that I recall hearing about or seeing. The team that ran out last night was pretty bad for even an Aus A side.

Heh, I agree. Hartley should have played for Australia a few years ago. Unfortunately for him, I can't see it happening now.

Abbott played with the Sixers last year in BBL and I believe the Thunder the year before that.

I agree that our team last night was poor. Abbott wouldn't have looked out of place in it.

From the squad they picked for the T20 last night, the players they left out were from NSW weren't they? Abbott and Maddinson.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Credit to the Proteas, far more polished unit who stuck to a game plan and bowled very well at the death. That young guy Rabada on debut looks a decent prospect. Kyle Abbott is a handful - 140 was never going to be enough.

I guess a positive from last night was Watson's knock, though his running between the wickets looks twice as suspect as it did before his injury.

I thought White looked in awesome touch and great to see Cummins back firing. We lost too many wickets in the first 10 overs and unfortunately Faulkner and Cutting couldn't find the fence once the field spread. Reardon and Dunk looked very average.

If we want any chance of winning these types of game we need bigger performances at the top of the order, Finch in particular.

Quite a disappointing result considering the recent events in UAE.

We need to get over this obsession with all-rounders. We had 7 different bowlers in 20 overs!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Who knows what would have happened if Reardon had taken that catch early on? SA would have been 2 for not many and the eventual MOTM would have been gone for less than 10.

As the old saying goes, catches win matches and when you're defending a small score, you've got to take all of them.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Pat Cummins is going to be a cracking test bowler, can't believe he is only 21 I remember his 6 for a few years ago. Good to see him back

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Good to see some blokes around the country making some runs in the Shield. Lord knows we need a fix at three, because we've got nothing of value there in the test team right now. I'm particularly pleased that Callum Ferguson has slotted in at first drop for SA and is averaging over 100 in first class cricket this season. I've always rated that bloke and would love to see him force his way into the test side.

Chris Rogers made some timely runs too for Victoria today. Had he failed he would have been highly doubtful for the first test I reckon.

The biggest issue (other than three) is the fitness of Clarke. Hopefully his hammy comes good because we look a little thin without him.

T

Train Without a Station

TBH can you explain why you've always rated Ferguson? He's had promise but I've never seen him deliver to the point where he maintains a respectable average as a batsman.

The fact he was consistently talked up despite that really bothered me.

But, it is good to see a player with promise who is scoring prolifically this season I agree. If he can maintain this scoring, surely he should come into calculations this summer.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
agreed, his form this season has been fantastic but his first class average is only in the high 30s

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
TBH can you explain why you've always rated Ferguson? He's had promise but I've never seen him deliver to the point where he maintains a respectable average as a batsman.

The fact he was consistently talked up despite that really bothered me.

But, it is good to see a player with promise who is scoring prolifically this season I agree. If he can maintain this scoring, surely he should come into calculations this summer.

Let's just call it the vibe. He's got a great technique, looks compact and solid at the crease and when he got a shot at the ODI side made the transition quite well. Unfortunately he's struggled since with persistent knee injuries. He appears to be healthy now and is scoring heavily. This is a good thing, because I think we're going to need some depth in our batting in the short to medium term.

T

Train Without a Station

agreed, his form this season has been fantastic but his first class average is only in the high 30s

Whilst I consider a decent batsman to be 40+ average, I can understand selecting a bloke who averages in the 30s if his early career drags it down and he is sustaining great FC batting form.

If a player's average is 33. But he's played for 8 seasons and started out averaged 20, before inching it up to 25, then smashing out successive seasons average in the 80s, there's a good chance that he may bring that average up further in the test arena.

The problem is the selections like Marsh who had 4 good games a decade ago, 2 shit seasons, half a good season again, another shit season, a good season, a couple of shit seasons, a test hundred, another shit season and in their 30's still average 36 and don't look like going anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.