• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket Tour of Sri Lanka

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Team for first test been named.

Australia First Test Squad
Shane Watson, Phillip Hughes, Ricky Ponting, Michael Clarke (c), Michael Hussey, Usman Khawaja, Brad Haddin, Mitchell Johnson, Ryan Harris, Trent Copeland, Nathan Lyon. 12th man: Michael Beer

Personally I rate Marsh ahead of Hughes, but then again our selectors are mentally challenged. Who the deuce is Nathan Lyon?

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Australia are 6/219 just after tea. Huss 67n.o., Johnson on 5 n.o. Ponting the only other Oz batsmen to post a reasonable score with 44 off 83 balls, four other batsmen out in the 20s with Hughes scoring only 12.

I read the link and still don't have a clue who Lyon is, why have they discarded with Beer after only one test? CA really needs to sort its selection panel out, Hilditch was a great start now they only need to get rid of Boon and Cox. Would love to see Lawson, Berry and Moody (if available) on the panel, believe it would be more balanced and all have a good tactical and technical knowledge of the game with different skillsets.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
I've spent the last couple of days wiping egg off my face.... great start to Clark's reign as captain, hope it continues in the same vein.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Anyone watching the 2nd test at the moment?

Yep, we have the Sri Lankan's on the ropes, however now is the time that we usually become less aggressive and give away far too many runs to the tail. I'm hoping Copeland and co. mop up the rest of the tail quickly. Anything less than 200 is a great display of bowling considering the conditions and that they elected to bat.

Looking forward to seeing Marsh play, I've been watching him for a while and he's certainly a prospect, also Clarke's turn for a big innings I feel. Watson hopefully starts to find form.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
End of day 2. Hussey and Marsh putting up a good fight, Clarke disappointing, Watson looked promising but as usual gave away his wicket too easily. Marsh looking the goods and here's hoping that he makes his maiden ton on debut, Hussey also deserves the milestone. Will be happy with a lead of anything near 200+, should be enough to win it.

Anyone know who Sri Lanka are without? they seem to be half the team they were at the last world cup.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Selectors continuing to do a good job of selecting the wrong players. Aus 1/22, Watson 8no, Marsh 14no.
Hughes 0(2) - Bowled FOW 1/0

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Maybe we judged Hughes a little too early, the bloke just knocked up a century. Ponting ably assisting him with a good 30-odd.

Marsh and Watto a little dissapointing.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
2nd innings centuries with nothing to play for mean nothing in my eyes. No pressure. He didn't win a test, didn't save a test. He just saved his spot.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
"Hughes": 2nd innings centuries with nothing to play for mean nothing in my eyes. No pressure. He didn't win a test, didn't save a test. He just saved his spot.

Dunno about that Nod, the fact we'll draw this test means we win the series 1-0: young Phil's second innings century has put this test well and truly out of Sri Lanka's reach. If Hughes plays his cricket with an eye on the war while fighting the battle at hand I'll be happy. I agree I'd like him to score more in first innings knocks, and especially when a match's up for grabs, but he hasn't done too badly in this instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.