• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tip

Good news for all Aussie cricket fans!
Inverarity's contract is set to finish in June and Mark Waugh touted to replace him.

It's been a farce how Aussie cricket went to the doldrums and the chairman of selectors was the only person to keep his job. He's had no accountability for his actions - think 11+ spinners... Batsmen dropped after 1 bad test following an excellent test... Katich...

Perhaps Waugh will follow the recommendations from the Argus review, compared to Invers who scrapped recommendations after 6 months.

http://www.cricket.com.au/news-list...in-cricket-australia-national-selection-panel

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Marcus North has retired. Takes a lot of courage to quit in great form and having just been named the shield player of the year. The passing of his brother may well have played a role in his decision which is perfectly understandable. All the best to him, a class bat and bloke.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Inverarity wasn't responsible for all those 11 spinners post-Warnie, Tip. Invers may not've made an auspicious start (he was given the Argus Report road map on settling into the selector's chair) but I think we can all agree he's done a few good things the last year, and set us up for a few good years to come.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
That was Hilditch wasn't it? (the 11 spinners)

Inverarity has only been there the last couple of years and as Lindo says the team has improved in that time (especially the past year when Arthur was given the boot) though from a very low base.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
You have to think that the NZ Cricket team have a good chance of making it to the final. Not sure that they have sufficient cattle to win it but they will probably give it a good nudge.

The dealt to Pakistan in UAE, when we couldn't. They have beaten the Sri Lankans at home, and posted 331/8 against the Saffers in a warm up game today.

They also have the advantage of the seamer friendly home pitches for the opening rounds of the competition.

Without too much fuss and bother, they seem to have quietly positioned themselves well for a tilt at winning this event. Sneaky.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Agreed, they are a dark horse.

I have Kane Williamson down as the player to watch in this tournament, he's in exceptional form and I'm backing him to top score. McCullum, Taylor, Vettori and Boult are also class.

Other than Vettori, I think they are lacking another quality all-rounder which may see them struggle to contain the stronger teams in the middle overs if they haven't taken early wickets.

As a 1 on 1 comparison between the two sides:
McCullum v Warner: Even on form, Warner maybe slightly ahead because of fielding.

Guptill v Finch : Guptill on form and stats.

Williamson v Watson: Kiwi takes this easily on form despite Watson's bowling.

Taylor v Clarke: Toughest pick but Taylor has slipped in recent years.

Elliott v Smith: Aussie comfortably on form and fielding.

Anderson v Marsh: Anderson wins on both experience and bowling stats. Batting more or less even.

Vettori v Maxwell: Vettori with the ball, Maxwell with the willow. Vettori on experience, Maxwell ahead in fielding. Even.

Ronchi v Haddin: I'd take Haddin behind the stumps any day.

Boult v Johnson : Pace. Pretty straight-forward choice.

Southee v Starc : Starc's form is sensational.

McClenaghan v Hazlewood: Tough one to call, both emerging talents.

NZ 3 v AUS 5. 3 undecided.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
I'd have Vettori over Maxwell as Vettori is more likely to perform with the ball than Maxwell with the bat.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Until the result in the warm up match yesterday, I was tipping the Saffers to win the CWC comfortably, with Aust and the Soap Dodgers being their main opposition.

Interesting that the ICC ODI rankings are currently:
1 Aust
2 India
3 SAF
4 Sri Lanka
5 ENG
6 NZL
7 PAK
8 Windes
9 Bang
10 Zim
11 Afghanistan
11a. Any 1st Grade Sydney or Melbourne Club Side
12 Ireland

http://www.icc-cricket.com/team-rankings/odi

After the 2014/15 summer results, the performance from India and Sri Lanka seems to have been below what their ranking suggests.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Looking forward to it. Heading down to Oz v Sri Lanka at the SCG the morning after the Reds v Tahs so that'll be a very big weekend.
Going to Adelaide for Oz 1/4 Final too since havent been to the redeveloped ground & Brisbane didn't get good matches. Still undecided about Oz v Bangers at Gabba next week as could only watch half before going to Reds v Force.

Kind of hoping both hosts make the Final or at least the Semis.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
England has won the toss and elected to bowl.

Australia XI: Warner, Finch, Watson, Smith, Bailey, Maxwell, M Marsh, Haddin, Johnson, Starc, Hazlewood

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Is Smith ready to bat at first drop?

Meanwhile SL are 147-4 off 27 overs, chasing NZL's 331.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Not sure that I am a fan of the new on-screen graphics that are being used for this years CWC.

Status
Not open for further replies.