• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Early choke. Suddenly the pool that looked like it belonged to AB and his men is Dhoni's - great support they've had.

Anyone know what their odds were leading into the tournament and the couple of months before that?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Poor South Africa, even in a pretty much meaningless pool game against a tough opponent who have a good day without ever being in a winning position they still get called chokers if they lose

Once you get the label it's impossible to shake
(Unless you win I guess)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
169/9 chasing 308 on a big ground with their batting list, I'd call that a choke, but who knows, maybe it's the battle they needed to lose in order to win the war. Or a flat-out choke. Either way, they lost.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The issue that the Saffers have is that De Villiers, Amla and Steyn all need to fire at the same time if they are to win. If they don't then then they're rooted.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I know De Villiers was rested for the trial game against the Kiwi's, but ever since that result I had a feeling they weren't going to be a serious threat in the cup. The match against Zimbabwe confirmed my suspicions.

They really set the tone in the field early when Amla dropped Dhawan and then they missed a fairly simple runout opportunity a few overs later. Unfortunately they then lost Philander and from that moment, the Indians were on top. Parnell's statistics tell the story.

As for the batting, to be bowled out for 177 on that batting surface against an Indian bowling attack that has struggled all summer is embarrassing IMO. They rely far too heavily on Amla, De Villiers and Du Plessis...I have no idea how De Kock is considered in their best XI.

Then again, credit to India for a great performance. Dhawan and Rahane were superb and the bowlers backed it up.

I'm not writing the Proteas off just yet, but considering the loss of Philander and the beating they took to a pretty average Indian side, I can't see how they will bounce back from this.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
169/9 chasing 308 on a big ground with their batting list, I'd call that a choke, but who knows, maybe it's the battle they needed to lose in order to win the war. Or a flat-out choke. Either way, they lost.
Is there any situation they could lose without it being a choke?

Anyway looks like India will be very tough to beat at the MCG. The pitch suits them there more than any other this tournament.

If they go on to top the group, which they should from here, its a Wellington quarter I think

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Getting pooched by 130 runs on a fairly flat deck with a couple of runouts is a fucking choke. End of.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
If they go on to top the group, which they should from here, its a Wellington quarter I think

If that's the case they will be playing NZ.

Group B may throw another surprise or two up. The fourth qualifying spot between Zimbabwe, Ireland, Pakistan and the Afghanistan should be interesting.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Disappointing performances from the Proteas. Dont think they will be able to fight back from here. Pretty sure if they get to the business end they will be able to knock out some favourates and then choke as soon as I got my faith back in them.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'm confused.

ESPN says the quarter final draw will be A1 v B4, A2 v B3, A3 v B2 and B1 v A4.. that seems pretty logical.

Then the ICC fixtures state that if NZ qualify they will play in Wellington, if Aus qualify we play at the Adelaide oval, if Eng qualify they play at MCG and if Sri Lanka qualify they will play at SCG.

That doesn't make sense because either NZ or AUS will finish as A1 and yet quarter final 1 is at the SCG and has to have Sri Lanka (A3 or A4) playing. It could also means NZ end up playing the top seed from group B.

Can anyone explain?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I'm confused.

ESPN says the quarter final draw will be A1 v B4, A2 v B3, A3 v B2 and B1 v A4.. that seems pretty logical.

Then the ICC fixtures state that if NZ qualify they will play in Wellington, if Aus qualify we play at the Adelaide oval, if Eng qualify they play at MCG and if Sri Lanka qualify they will play at SCG.

That doesn't make sense because either NZ or AUS will finish as A1 and yet quarter final 1 is at the SCG and has to have Sri Lanka (A3 or A4) playing. It could also means NZ end up playing the top seed from group B.

Can anyone explain?
If the Black Caps end up playing India, they will move the game to India.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'm confused.

Can anyone explain?
All the teams who "must" play someone are in Pool A. But just because match is labeled Qtr Final 1, doesn't mean team A1 will play in it.

So just say top 4 in Pool A is NZ, AUS, SRI, ENG and Pool B finishes IND, SA, WI, PAK you'd have Qtr Finals of SRI v SA in Sydney, ENG v IND at the MCG, AUS v WI in Adelaide & NZ v PAK in Wellington.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Predicting the Eden Park hoodoo for Australian teams to be broken this weekend.

Roll on the Bledisloe.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Saving my prediction until we have an idea of the teams, the pitch, and IMO, more importantly the toss.

Fingers crossed we bowl first because I worry that if they get it swinging early we have alot of vulnerable players in our top order. Then again if Warner and Finch get us off to a flyer we could easily post 300+ if our lower order blokes have a license to hit.

Not sure if we can rely on Maxwell, Marsh, and Haddin to pick up the pieces against a confident Kiwi attack especially if they are in early.

I reckon it's a 50/50 bet either way right now.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The may well perform on a green wicket and slow outfield, but when was the last time they faced genuine pace on a lively wicket with plenty of bounce and a lightning quick outfield on a 35 degree Melbourne day in front of a sell out crowd of 100000?

I'm a little concerned that the Eden Park Hoodoo may strike on Saturday, but if the Kiwis make the final at the G, the Mitchell's (Stark and Johnson) will rip into them with the same vigour as a single RAN Sailor returning from a 6 month operational deployment to the Arabian Gulf rips into the bars of Kings Cross.

When was the last time the Kiwis faced a genuine intimidatory pace attack on a fast wicket?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^ probably last time we went to Sethfricka......

Meanwhile Ireland are getting their asses handed to them by UAE, 102/4 & need 177 at almost 8-an-over.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
That UAE bloke who got the ton is about the happiest unit I've ever seen in international cricket. That was even BEFORE he got the ton.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ireland in deep shite now, Kevin O really is their last hope at 171/5 & needing 104 off 66.

^^^^^ didn't see the UAE innings, had to drop wifey off at the airport - she's in NZ for her big bro's 50th so yours truly is undisputed King of the remote on Saturday AND it's my "off" weekend, couldn't have planned it better if I tried :)

EDIT: KOB going for it, had a slice of luck when the UAE sub fielder almost pulled off a Dipak Patel WACA-miracle catch, Wilson playing the support role (but still has 53 off 55), crowd going off too. 60 needed off 42.

Status
Not open for further replies.