• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Crusaders v Reds (Rnd 13)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Karmichael Hunt under an injury cloud for the Reds having come down with some stomach bug. Lost 5kgs or something.

I'd be looking long and hard at getting JJ Tualagi back in the team anyway, to add another attacking weapon.

Team named first thing Thursday morning.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Karmichael Hunt under an injury cloud for the Reds having come down with some stomach bug. Lost 5kgs or something.

I'd be looking long and hard at getting JJ Tualagi back in the team anyway, to add another attacking weapon.

Team named first thing Thursday morning.

Obviously Reg the QRU's 'carefully planned ROI curve' for KH will have to be 'restarted' from a February 2016 baseline.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
This game worries me. The Canes v Cru game on the weekend was really good even though the Cru went down.

Hopefully they have spent the bye week focusing on this game as I'm sure there is a belief that they can still make the finals.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
How's Taps?

Injury permitting I'd be keen to give the following a whirl
1. Slipper
2. Chibba
3. Homer
4. Simmo
5. Kev
6. Thomson
7. Gill
8. Tui
9. Genia
10. Frisby
11. JOC (James O'Connor)
12. Taps
13. Kerevi
14. Kuridrani
15. Turner
16. Ready
17. Paraka or Fa'agase
18. Talakai
19. Kotze
20. Korzcyk or Fakaosilea
21. Gale
22. Ant Fainga'a
23. Hunt

CFS has been poor to average, JJT has been mediocre at best in Prems last two weeks. Korzyck was ok last week, Fakaosilea was all energy when he came on but if Tui is ready I'd just toss him in, the young fellas have 20's commitments it'd be selfish to take both when its unnecessary.

T

TOCC

I actually thought CFS looked to be getting himself more involved in the game against the Hurricanes, trying to run off Genia a fair bit and at least making himself available which has been an issue for him in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I must say that Reds vs Crusaders matches hold a lot of emotional and 'down memory lane' value for me and, I'm sure, for many others here too.

The superb and 'smart rugby' manner by which the Link-coached Reds started to convincingly beat the Crusaders from early 2010 (maybe IIRC even the first Super trial game that year) right through to the golden moment of July 2011 defined with a sharp light everything that was best about this coach's chemistry and achievement with his players and vice versa.

They were - all of them, each sweet victory - such revealing wins and, for we fans, such confidence-boosting wins over the greatest-ever Super Rugby franchise filled with truly wonderful NZ players and top-flight coaching skills.

These numerous great Cru-beating moments gave breath to the belief that the Reds could, at last, use all their talents with authenticity, power and guile and maybe, just maybe, rise again as a proud force in Australian rugby.

And so it was to be.

But then in late 2013 came (for me at least) the most convincing and devastating evidence of the rapid decline from the mountain top that had unquestionably taken over the team and its playing credibility.

The S15 QF vs the Crusaders on July 20, 2013 in Christchurch. Final score 38-9. 4 Crusader tries, Reds nil tries, the best for us was 3 from 4 penalty goals kicked. Much worse was the sort of play that underpinned all that. The Reds were mostly spineless in attitude and efficiency (especially in our forwards work), the attack was listless and incoherent and our defence so obviously poor. No players stood out, it was like a kind of surrender as though pride and belief had vaporised within the short space of almost exactly 2 years.

'When Greatness Calls, We Will Respond' was the QRU's early 2012 season catch-cry. But we never did respond, not really, we rested on laurels and more and more on individual skills and declining moments of rare rugby brilliance.

Then came the RG period. On May 11, 2014 at home the Crusaders thrashed us 57-29. 6 tries to 4. Colin Slade kicked 11/11. It was no real contest. 31,000 fans left knowing how far we'd really fallen from that wonderful 2010-11 Cru-beating period, way, way too short to call an era, but so fine, so inspiring was it.

Gone too by 2014 was Digby's turtle dance and QC (Quade Cooper)'s backflips, these delightful gestures were now just faded memories of a time when all rose in happiness and joy at what were so many free, exhilarating displays of a brand of rugby that gained not only QLD's but also the world's attention and praise. And then-huge Foxtel viewing numbers told of the public's joining in with what The Queensland Reds had done in re-invigorating broad Australian fan engagement with this great code.

So when I think of this Friday's game against the genuinely - as a sustained franchise - great Crusaders, I find myself near misty-eyed with nostalgia for a fleeting time when my otherwise workaholic world was distracted by a perfect little time when the glories of a great sport played near my doorstep gave new meaning to life in the funny old ways that only sport can and, for me, in ways only great rugby can as that sport.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The crusaders will not use any lube and will not call us the following morning.

I can't even start to guess what the score might be.

This shows how far the Reds have fallen. When previously one eyed fans (and I mean that in a positive way) cannot even contemplate a victory as a realistic outcome. It is sad really.

Reactions: gel
T

TOCC

fuck that... i expect the Reds to win....

As for those whinging pessimistically... I will save a seat on the bandwagon for you once the tables finally turn.... I was there in 2000 when the Reds lost and i was there 10years later at the game in Rd 2 of 2010 when the Reds won 41-20 for the first time in a decade.. Must have been in front of a crowd of maybe 17'000, 12months later there were 52'000 to watch the rematch.

Coaches and players will come and go, its the fans who define the a great sporting club.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
It will be Dan Carter's last ever game for the Crusaders at home. I am pretty sure the team and the crowd will be keen to give him a good send off.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
There's being hopeful, and then there's being realistic (and of course, also being idiotically optimistic).

I was being realistic.

Upon the arrival of @Scoey's pre match report, I'll switch over to somewhere between hopeful and idiotically optimistic.

Until then, realistic it is.

(edit - and I am counting on you Scoey - c'mon and lift my spirits again, man )

T

TOCC

Il take "idiotically optimistic" over self-depreciating any day of the week...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Sorry Gel. It's the Saders home game and the home team writers get first go at the preview. It will be a stellar preview, of that I am sure, but it won't be written by me. ;)

Reactions: gel

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Fuck it, I can't just ignore a cry for help like yours Gel. We're Reds fans and Reds fans stick together.
So with that in mind, I give you my (un)official Reds vs Saders match preview. It's called:

5 Reasons Why the Reds Will Beat the Crusaders.

1. The Reds have been dominating the Cantabrians for fucking ages! If you don't count the last three games, the Crusaders haven't beaten the Reds since 2009. 2009!?!? Are you kidding? That's ages ago!!
2. The Super 15 Champions tally is Reds 1 - Crusaders 0. Says it all really. Just a bunch of also-rans.
3. The Crusaders have built a strong team by the age old practice of filling it with people of the same name. The Welsh do it, the Scots do it and the Irish have been known to as well. All Rugby powerhouses. Well, fact of the matter is, we have more James's than they have Whitelocks. Fact.
4. The average age of the players in the Crusaders team is 684 years old*. The Reds players average age is 16. Teenagers are well known for their ability to steal things and once they steal the Zimmer frames and spare hips the Crusaders will be fucked.
5. Nobody appeared before me in a dream again. He said sorry about last time, but it wasn't his fault. He told me that this one was a done deal but. He even did a pinky promise. You just know that when Ealesy will pinky promise me in a dream then you can put your god damn house on it.

So there it is. Irrefutable proof that the Reds will beat the Crusaders on the weekend. You heard it here first. GO YOU REDS!!!!

* This drops dramatically to 24 once McCaw and Carter are ruled out though.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
fuck that. i expect the Reds to win..

As for those whinging pessimistically. I will save a seat on the bandwagon for you once the tables finally turn.. I was there in 2000 when the Reds lost and i was there 10years later at the game in Rd 2 of 2010 when the Reds won 41-20 for the first time in a decade.. Must have been in front of a crowd of maybe 17'000, 12months later there were 52'000 to watch the rematch.

Coaches and players will come and go, its the fans who define the a great sporting club.

I was there when the Tahs beat Wales in 1991, and remained a loyal fan through the next two and a half decades, spending my money on Pay TV subscriptions, merchandise and tickets when I could get to Sydney. Do not mistake healthy critique and realistic appraisal as negativity. Your unthinking support is what poor management relies upon to maintain their positions and get away with poor performance. Ultimately not driving best practice and improvement/renewal all the time leads to the destruction of the organisation. The Tahs and NSW Rugby could once boast sell out crowds at the SFS, even for Shute Shield Semi finals and finals. Now they do not have the final at the SFS and can't fill Concord for the Shute or the SFS for most Super games. There are a myriad of reasons why that is so, but the long death was caused largely through dire risk averse game plans that were unwatchable and while they took the Tahs to the finals on a number of times I don't think anybody who really knows the game really ever thought they would win. Even with that consistent "success" the crowds and membership dwindled. It is why even as a fan who has never stopped watched I wrote extensively about the failures of the Waratahs management and coaching. About the whole philosophy behind their play. The way Chieka has approached the game since taking over has resurrected the Tahs somewhat but the damage done since the late 90s cannot be underestimated, and it is why even with the title there are often half empty stadia.

The Reds built an amazing membership on the back of a loyal base of Rugby fans and importantly on a wonderful approach to the game and amazing skills. It is arrogant to think that the loss of those factors will not result in the loss of those "new" fans and the alienation of older more invested fans who expected better management. It is also arrogant to dismiss those people who drift away as bandwagoners, as those I know have a history much the same as the one you have quoted for yourself.

T

TOCC

Your unthinking support is what poor management relies upon to maintain their positions and get away with poor performance.

Gnostic, don't confuse my support of the Reds as a team as a support of the QRU's management and appointment/retention of Richard Graham.. People are allowed to be constructively critical of the team whilst still supporting the players and their efforts.

There is a time and a place for being critical of the organisation yet i personally don't believe that time is on game day when the players are out there trying their best. You can argue that by me turning up and watching the team that i am throwing my support behind RG and the Board, well thats an unfortunate by-product of unwavering loyalty. I have expressed myself in email to the QRU and thats my means of criticism, i have done it in other relevant threads and will continue to do so there, however i will always support the Reds on match day.. Hell or high-water

Do not mistake healthy critique and realistic appraisal as negativity.

Don't mistake a comment about another team sexually molesting the Reds as being healthy criticism...

T

TOCC

Who's being self-deprecating?

*edit* dont bother responding - you're just trolling now and I have risen to the bait.

end.
Gel, no trolling and i apologise if thats how you interpreted it...
But the below comment is very close to the definition of self-deprecating...

The crusaders will not use any lube and will not call us the following morning.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Fuck it, I can't just ignore a cry for help like yours Gel. We're Reds fans and Reds fans stick together.
So with that in mind, I give you my (un)official Reds vs Saders match preview. It's called:

5 Reasons Why the Reds Will Beat the Crusaders.

1. The Reds have been dominating the Cantabrians for fucking ages! If you don't count the last three games, the Crusaders haven't beaten the Reds since 2009. 2009!?!? Are you kidding? That's ages ago!!
2. The Super 15 Champions tally is Reds 1 - Crusaders 0. Says it all really. Just a bunch of also-rans.
3. The Crusaders have built a strong team by the age old practice of filling it with people of the same name. The Welsh do it, the Scots do it and the Irish have been known to as well. All Rugby powerhouses. Well, fact of the matter is, we have more James's than they have Whitelocks. Fact.
4. The average age of the players in the Crusaders team is 684 years old*. The Reds players average age is 16. Teenagers are well known for their ability to steal things and once they steal the Zimmer frames and spare hips the Crusaders will be fucked.
5. Nobody appeared before me in a dream again. He said sorry about last time, but it wasn't his fault. He told me that this one was a done deal but. He even did a pinky promise. You just know that when Ealesy will pinky promise me in a dream then you can put your god damn house on it.

So there it is. Irrefutable proof that the Reds will beat the Crusaders on the weekend. You heard it here first. GO YOU REDS!!!!

* This drops dramatically to 24 once McCaw and Carter are ruled out though.

Anyone notice an empty rum bottle outside Scoey's place this morning?;)

Status
Not open for further replies.