• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Currie Cup 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I cant find my old CC thread but might aswell start a new one. First up I want to know if you guys are interest in this one?

Anyway this weekend we see the return of our Bokke for the first in many years. Jake White always pulled the Bokke from this level of rugby and myself think its a big mistake on his part. You need your heroes to play and I am pretty sure you Aus lot will agree with me that if the players dont play this time of the year it sure take them more time to get battle sharp once you hit the NH. Think if the provincial coaches manage the week in week out players better they can work around this player burn out kak.

This summary for the weekend from SA Rugby.com
Eighteen Boks back in CC
Eighteen Springboks that were part of the record-breaking Vodacom Tri-Nations victory over Australia will feature in one way or another this weekend as the Absa Currie Cup semifinal race nears fever-pitch.

Only Adi Jacobs (Sharks), Jongi Nokwe (Vodacom FS Cheetahs), Butch James and Percy Montgomery (Vodacom Western Province) are not in action this weekend as national attention turns firmly onto the Absa Currie Cup.

Jacobs is being rested after a bruising Tri-Nations campaign, Nokwe picked up an ankle injury whilst scoring his fourth try against the Wallabies, James does not play domestically in South Africa at the moment and Montgomery has a stomach ailment.

The rest, however, are all available, with Vodacom Western Province slotting all their first-choice players straight back into the mix; giving them no fewer than 11 Springboks in their starting line-up.

But, even with the wealth of players at their disposal, Vodacom WP coach Allister Coetzee is not even contemplating certain victory against the defending champions, the Vodacom Free State Cheetahs, when the two teams meet at Vodacom Park on Saturday at 3pm.

?It might look good on paper, but we all know that games are not won on paper,? said Coetzee after announcing the WP team on Wednesday. ?This team hasn?t played together as a combination for some time now; it?s not just a case of pitching up and winning.?

Making WP?s challenge that much tougher is the fact that the FS Cheetahs have not lost an Absa Currie Cup match in Bloemfontein since 2006 ? when they went down 24-12 to the Vodacom Blue Bulls on August 5. Plus, the Cheetahs have also been boosted by the return of skipper Juan Smith and hooker Adriaan Strauss to their playing ranks.

?That home record is something we pride ourselves on and it?s an honour the players intend on protecting for as long as possible,? Vodacom FS Cheetahs coach Naka Drotske told www.sarugby.coza this week.

?Teams like WP and the Bulls are always hard to beat away from home and we certainly owe them something after losing away to them during the first round of fixtures,? added the man who was recently crowned as the Absa Currie Cup Coach of the Month for August.

The mass Bok injection into the Absa Currie Cup does not end with the Cheetahs-WP match, with the top-of-the-table Sharks v Vodacom Blue Bulls clash in Durban on Saturday (kick-off 5.05pm) also looking like a proverbial ?Who?s Who of Springbok rugby?.

The Sharks can once again consider the likes of Odwa Ndungane, Frans Steyn, Ruan Pienaar, Jannie du Plessis, Beast Mtawarira and Bismarck du Plessis for selection, but also making a welcome return to the side is skipper Johann Muller, who has been injured for some time.

The Bulls, meanwhile, have fit-again IRB World Player of the Year Bryan Habana back in the mix, along with current Bok captain Victor Matfield, hardman Danie Rossouw, No.8 Pierre Spies and scrumhalf Fourie du Preez.

With first place on the log up for grabs once again, neither side will be lacking in motivation ? but the Sharks will feel they owe the Bulls one after their 35-14 loss at Loftus earlier in the season.

?It is definitely make or break in terms of securing home finals and semi-finals,? said Sharks centre Brad Barritt on www.sharksrugby.co.za. ?We really need to win the games heading up to the semis, for us, the aim is to win every game from hereon in, if we can do that, we would have achieved our target. Looking at these two weeks, it?s two big teams, big rugby days, and we?re looking forward to the challenge.?

With all the talk of returning Springbok players this weekend, the Xerox Lions continue to go about their business without any current Boks in their selection equation.

After a poor start to the 2008 Absa Currie Cup season, which saw them lose two successive matches, the Johannesburg-based side got their season back on track 35-23 home win over the Valke in early July. They have produced some impressive results since then ? including an away win over the Blue Bulls ? and now find themselves back where it all started with a fixture against the Valke, albeit away from home, on Friday night.

?We have spent the week training hard and will be ready and prepared for Friday night,? said a confident Lions coach Eugene Eloff.

?We are in a strong semifinal position and will be taking each game as it comes and will certainly be putting our all into each game. The focus is on each individual game at the moment, and on winning each game.?

The Lions could potentially shut the door on WP?s semifinal prospects should they beat the Valke ? especially if WP lose to the Cheetahs ? but there is a battle of a different type for the Wildeklawer Griquas and the Boland Cavaliers when they meet in Kimberley on Saturday.

The last fixture between these two teams produced a hard-fought 9-9 draw in Wellington, but this time around victory is non-negotiable as Griquas (sixth place on the log) and Boland (eighth) look to avoid that dreaded relegation match at the end of the season.

However, Boland were dealt a bitter blow this week with the news that flyhalf Isma-eel Dollie would miss the rest of the season with a groin injury, along with lock Frikkie Spies, who has a shoulder problem.

?It is really tough when your group of players is not that big. But I suppose it is something the so-called ?smaller unions? have to live with,? Boland coach Deon Davids lamented, before also revealing that hooker Clemen Lewis (knee) and wing Danwell Demas (shoulder) would miss Saturday?s crucial clash.

Injury worries aside for Boland, Griquas will be on a high after their 59-19 trouncing of the dangerous Valke a fortnight ago and they have the added motivation of possibly even leap-frogging Western Province into fifth place on the log, should the Capetonians lose in Bloemfontein.

Speaking ahead of his team?s clash with Boland, Griquas coach Dawie Theron revealed a rather simple tactical approach on the official Griquas website: ?Deny the opposition the ball and you can command the game.?

Absa Currie Cup facts of the week:

- Internationally-respected whistleman Jonathan Kaplan is the most-capped Absa Currie Cup referee of all time, having already refereed 117 matches. Andre Watson ? the current head of SA Referees ? is in second place, having officiated in 100 Absa Currie Cup games.

- Centre Piet van Zyl is back in the Boland Cavaliers team this week, in his 138th match for the Wellington-based union. He needs just two more appearances to equal Jannie Coetzee?s record as the most-capped Bolander of all time.

- The last time the Xerox Lions played in an Absa Currie Cup match (two weeks ago against the Vodacom FS Cheetahs), flyhalf Earl Rose scored 18 points; made up of one try, two conversions, two penalties and one drop-goal ? giving him the first full-house of points score in this competition since Derick Hougaard achieved that feat against the Wildeklawer Griquas on September 1, 2007.

Weekend fixtures:

Friday, September 5:

Valke v Xerox Lions

Kick-off: 7.10pm, Live on SuperSport 1/CSN

Saturday, September 6:

Vodacom Free State Cheetahs v Vodacom Western Province

Kick-off: 3pm, Live on SuperSport 1/MNet

Wildeklawer Griquas v Boland Cavaliers

Kick-off: 3pm

Sharks v Vodacom Blue Bulls

Kick-off: 5.05pm, Live on SuperSport 1/MNet

The weekend teams:

Valke v Xerox Lions:

Valke: 15 Johan Jackson, 14 Dewald Pretorius, 13 Ernie Kruger, 12 Hanno Coetzee (captain), 11 Johan Swartz, 10 Len Olivier, 9 Poerie van Rooyen, 8 Sean Plaatjies, 7 Johan de Bruin, 6 Warren Perkins, 5 Marius Coetzer, 4 Ruhan van Jaarsveld, 3 Nico Pretorius, 2 Ryno Barnes, 1 Gavin Whittingham.

Replacements: 16 Jody Jeneker, 17 Frik Venter, 18 Wouter Moore, 19 Reg Muller/Emile Verster, 20 Gerrie Odendaal, 21 Showan Smith, 22 Jeff Perkins.

Lions: 15 Jaco van Schalkwyk, 14 Michael Killian, 13 Jaco Pretorius, 12 Doppies la Grange, 11 Trompie Nontshinga, 10 Earl Rose, 9 Chris Jonck, 8 Ernst Joubert, 7 Franco van der Merwe, 6 Cobus Grobbelaar (captain), 5 Gerhard Mostert, 4 Anton van Zyl, 3 Lawrence Sephaka, 2 Willie Wepener, 1 Heinke van der Merwe.

Replacements: 16 Ethienne Reynecke, 17 Ross Geldenhuys, 18 Derick Minnie, 19 Justin Wheeler, 20 Walter Venter, 21 Louis Strydom, 22 Rayno Benjamin.

Saturday, September 6:

Vodacom Free State Cheetahs v Vodacom Western Province:

Cheetahs: 15 Bevin Fortuin, 14 Wilton Pietersen, 13 Robert Ebersohn, 12 Meyer Bosman, 11 Fabian Juries, 10 Tewis de Bruyn, 9 Neil Powell, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Juan Smith (captain), 6 Hendro Scholtz, 5 Barend Pieterse, 4 David de Villiers, 3 Kobus Calldo, 2 Adriaan Strauss, 1 Wian du Preez.

Replacements: 16 Richardt Strauss, 17 Phillip Lemmer, 18 Nico Breedt, 19 Heinrich Brussow, 20 JW Jonker, 21 Jacques-Louis Potgieter, 22 Kabamba Floors.

Western Province: 15 Conrad Jantjes, 14 Tonderai Chavhanga, 13 Gcobani Bobo, 12 Jean de Villiers (captain), 11 Sireli Naqelevuki, 10 Peter Grant, 9 Ricky Januarie, 8 Luke Watson, 7 Francois Louw, 6 Schalk Burger, 5 Andries Bekker, 4 Adriaan Fondse, 3 Brian Mujati, 2 Schalk Brits, 1 Wicus Blaauw.

Replacements: 16 Deon Fourie, 17 JC Kritzinger, 18 AJ Venter, 19 Nick Koster, 20 Bolla Conradie, 21 Joe Pietersen, 22 Wylie Human.

Wildeklawer Griquas v Boland Cavaliers:

Griquas: 15 Riaan Viljoen, 14 Bjorn Basson, 13 Barry Geel, 12 Herkie Kruger, 11 MJ Mentz, 10 Conrad Barnard, 9 Sarel Pretorius, 8 Heinrich Stride, 7 Stephan Gerber, 6 Gareth Krause (captain), 5 Brendon Snyman, 4 Wayne van Heerden, 3 Bees Roux, 2 Hans van Dyk, 1 Regardt Dreyer.

Replacements: 16 James van der Walt, 17 Albertus Buckle, 18 Ruaan du Preez, 19 Jacques Lombaard, 20 Rohan Kitshoff, 21 Tobie Botes, 22 Jaco Bekker.

Boland: 15 Justin Peach, 14 Cornell Hendricks, 13 Piet van Zyl (captain), 12 Lionel Cornelius, 11 Alvin Hugo, 10 Elgar Watts, 9 Marnus Hugo, 8 Dries van Schalkwyk, 7 Angelo Brinkhuis, 6 Zolani Mofu, 5 Bradley Mockford, 4 Nico Esterhuyse, 3 WP Nel, 2 Harry Vermaas, 1 Janro van Niekerk.

Replacements: 16 Pieter Wium, 17 Jean Botha, 18 Cecil Kemp, 19 Whalied Heyns, 20 Neil Papier, 21 Deon Scholtz, 22 Renfred Dazel.

Sharks v Vodacom Blue Bulls:

Sharks: 15. Stefan Terblanche, 14. Odwa Ndungane, 13. Francois Steyn, 12. Bradley Barritt, 11. Waylon Murray, 10. Frederic Michalak, 9. Ruan Pienaar, 8. Keegan Daniel
7. Jean Deysel, 6. Jacques Botes, 5. Johann Muller ( Capt ), 4. Alistair Hargreaves, 3. Jannie du Plessis, 2. Skipper Badenhorst, 1. Deon Carstens

Replacements, 16. Bismarck du Plessis, 17. Patric Cilliers, 18. Steven Sykes, 19. Albert van den Berg, 20. Skholiwe Ndlovu, 21. Rory Kockott, 22. JP Pietersen

Blue Bulls: 15 Tiger Mangweni, 14 Akona Ndungane, 13 Marius Delport, 12 Wynand Olivier, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Morne Steyn, 9 Fourie du Preez, 8 Pierre Spies, 7 Wikus van Heerden, 6 Deon Stegmann, 5 Victor Matfield (captain), 4 Danie Rossouw, 3 Werner Kruger, 2 Derick Kuun, 1 Jaco Engels.

Replacements: 16 Chiliboy Ralepelle, 17 Rayno Gerber, 18 Juandre Kruger, 19 Gurthro Steenkamp, 20 Heini Adams, 21 Burton Francis, 22 Dewald Potgieter.
WP is in a pretty hopeless place on the logs and need to win everything to stay in touch. They can only catch the Lions and the last two rounds will be critical. The Lions face the Sharks at home and WP on Newlands and WP 9 points adrift.

The log before this weekends round
Standings
Pos Team P W Pts
1 Blue Bulls 9 7 34
2 Sharks 9 7 33
3 Cheetahs 9 7 32
4 Lions 9 5 26
5 WP 9 3 17
6 Griquas 9 2 14
7 Valke 9 2 13
8 Kavaliers 9 2 13

(Only saw now I passed the 1000 posts mark, Doc please change my rank to a Springbok please!)

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Re: CC Rugby

PaarlBok said:
I cant find my old CC thread but might aswell start a new one. First up I want to know if you guys are interest in this one?

I reckon a few of us are interested, if you don't mind talking to yourself most of the time.

PaarlBok said:
(Only saw now I passed the 1000 posts mark, Doc please change my rank to a Springbok please!)

Ah, what's the difference? It's all green and yellow anyway.

Virgil

Larry Dwyer (12)

Scarfman said:
PaarlBok said:

Well one has finished 3rd in the 3N, the other will be finishing 2nd :fishing

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)

OK I see its a bit touchie. We may be wooden spoonist but at least one of the two teams may end second and that mean vokol anyway. We still World Cup Champs. Doc change it to Boere Generaal then! 8)

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

Scarfman said:
PaarlBok said:

I reckon a few of us are interested, if you don't mind talking to yourself most of the time.

PaarlBok said:

Correction. The one is gren and gold, the other mainly Canary yellow. I'll leave you figure out which is which :fishing

Back on topic, today Foxtel decide for some reason decide not to thwo the 2 weekly Currie Cup matches. :angryfire:

I hope to hell they show some of this weeken'd matches next week - these are lining up to be crackers.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)

Blue said:
I hope to hell they show some of this weeken'd matches next week - these are lining up to be crackers.
You talking about the Cheetah vs WP & Guppies vs Brutes two. Sure they will be crackers. Cant understand Pumtree not picking Beast & Bismarck for the brute match. The scars they can receive from the Brute lot or leave to the brutes one he is just bloody stupid. My own tipping for the round is Lions by 16, WeePee by 12, Griekwas by 9 & Brutes by 11.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)

Scarfman said:
PaarlBok said:

PaarlBok said:

Bill Lawry said:
Yellow? Fucking yellow? That's Aussie gold, you non-Victorian Merv-hating Lewis-lover...!
;)

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)

WP winning 35-17 and getting that bonus point in the final minute from a Jean intercept try. Schalk getting red after a yellow but WP show their intention. 19 year olds Ebersohn and Pietersen had crackers. Pietersen scoring 2 tries for the Cheetahs.

Guppies busy to beat the Brutes 17-10

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)

So the Brutes lose this one BUT Meisiekind made a complete joke of Francois Steyn. :nta: Enjoyed Matfield banana biltong kick to the Twin for that second Meisiekind try a lot.

WP (Stormers in there traditional strip) still just in it but if they can go all the way and maybe sneak in the play offs they will be hard to stop.

Amazing if you go a year back to see the way Bekker has grow. Also good to see 19 year olds like Pietersen, Ebersohn, JC Kritizinger making the CC stepup.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
2011 CC starts in two weeks time. Will be interesting to see the teams without the top 49 players in the Bokke sqaud.

Fixture list for round 1:
Premier
15 July Golden Lions v Pumas 19:10 Johannesburg
16 July DHL Western Province v Griquas 15:00 DHL Newlands, Cape Town
16 July Free State Cheetahs v Leopards 15:00 Bloemfontein
16 July Sharks v Blue Bulls 17:05 Mr Price Kings Park, Durban
1st Div
Friday, July 15 2011
17:05 - EP Kings vs SWD
Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, PE
Saturday, July 16 2011
00:00 - Valke vs Griff
Barnard Stadium, Kempton Park
16:00 - Boland vs Border
Boland Stadium, Wellington
ABSA Under 21 Competition
Friday, July 15 2011
16:05 - Lions vs Valke
Coca-Cola Park Stadium, Johannesburg
Saturday, July 16 2011
12:30 - Free State vs Leopards
Vodacom Park,Bloemfontein
15:00 - Sharks vs Blue Bulls
Absa Stadium, Durban
ABSA Under 19 Competition
Friday, July 15 2011
14:30 - Lions vs SWD
Coca-Cola Park Stadium, Johannesburg
Saturday, July 16 2011
11:00 - Free State vs Leopards
Vodacom Park, Bloemfontein
13:00 - Sharks vs Blue Bulls
Absa Stadium, Durban

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
Will be good to see some team lineups. Hey Paarl, the two Smith boys (JP and Ruaan) are doing well for the GPS club in Brissy. JP was selected in the Brisbane rep side the other day. Both making a mark in club rugby.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Will be good to see some team lineups. Hey Paarl, the two Smith boys (JP and Ruaan) are doing well for the GPS club in Brissy. JP was selected in the Brisbane rep side the other day. Both making a mark in club rugby.

Thanks Lance, how far are they away from a S15 contract? Their replacements Malherherbe and Ginga did quite well in the Stormers jersey.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
So the Brutes lose this one BUT Meisiekind made a complete joke of Francois Steyn. :nta: Enjoyed Matfield banana biltong kick to the Twin for that second Meisiekind try a lot.

WP (Stormers in there traditional strip) still just in it but if they can go all the way and maybe sneak in the play offs they will be hard to stop.

Amazing if you go a year back to see the way Bekker has grow. Also good to see 19 year olds like Pietersen, Ebersohn, JC Kritizinger making the CC stepup.

Lol read this again Paarl.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Paarl are you up for a thread that discusses 2012 Super Rugby squads.

We can start it off with "Why the Stormers will never win the Super 15 with Rassie and Co in charge" :)

No seriously, I'd be keen to get an idea what the squads may look like.

I'll start it with the Bulls.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Paarl are you up for a thread that discusses 2012 Super Rugby squads.

We can start it off with "Why the Stormers will never win the Super 15 with Rassie and Co in charge" :)

No seriously, I'd be keen to get an idea what the squads may look like.

I'll start it with the Bulls.
Its pretty difficult at this moment OuBoet. We dunno which ones will retire or go north. I'll try and give some idea of the CC teams. Struggle to get the squads (senior, U21/U19s) out and will update this thread as we go along.

To start off this 49 players may feature not much in CC rugby.

Andries Bekker DHL Western Province
Bryan Habana DHL Western Province
Duane Vermeulen DHL Western Province
Francois Louw DHL Western Province
Gio Aplon DHL Western Province
Jaque Fourie DHL Western Province
Jean de Villiers DHL Western Province
Juan de Jongh DHL Western Province
Schalk Burger DHL Western Province
Butch James MTN Golden Lions
Elton Jantjies MTN Golden Lions
Adrian Jacobs The Sharks
Alistair Hargreaves The Sharks
Bismarck du Plessis The Sharks
Charl McLeod The Sharks
Jannie du Plessis The Sharks
John Smit The Sharks
JP Pietersen The Sharks
Lwazi Mvovo The Sharks
Odwa Ndungane The Sharks
Patrick Lambie The Sharks
Ryan Kankowski The Sharks
Tendai Mtawarira The Sharks
Willem Alberts The Sharks
Adriaan Strauss Toyota Free State Cheetahs
Ashley Johnson Toyota Free State Cheetahs
Coenie Oosthuizen Toyota Free State Cheetahs
Heinrich Brüssow Toyota Free State Cheetahs
Juan Smith Toyota Free State Cheetahs
Bakkies Botha Vodacom Blue Bulls
Bjorn Basson Vodacom Blue Bulls
Chiliboy Ralepelle Vodacom Blue Bulls
Danie Rossouw Vodacom Blue Bulls
Dean Greyling Vodacom Blue Bulls
Deon Stegmann Vodacom Blue Bulls
Flip van der Merwe Vodacom Blue Bulls
Fourie du Preez Vodacom Blue Bulls
Francois Hougaard Vodacom Blue Bulls
Gurthrö Steenkamp Vodacom Blue Bulls
Morne Steyn Vodacom Blue Bulls
Pierre Spies Vodacom Blue Bulls
Victor Matfield Vodacom Blue Bulls
Werner Kruger Vodacom Blue Bulls
Wynand Olivier Vodacom Blue Bulls
Zane Kirchner Vodacom Blue Bulls

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The Brutes play in a compalsory warmup on friday against the Leopards.

This is their team:
Blou Bulle: Jurgen Visser; Sampie Mastriet, Adri Jacobs, Louis Fouché, Hayden Groepes; Wesley Dunlop, Dustin Jinka; Jono Ross, Okkie Kruger ©, Warwick Tecklenberg, Franco Mostert, Nqubeko Zulu, Stephanus Pretorius, Robbie Coetzee, Morné Mellet. Reserwes: Corné Fourie, Zane Botha, Sithembiso Mholango, Jacques Verwey, Marnus Schoeman, CJ Stander, Poerie van Rooyen, Travis Ismaiel, Clayton Blommetjies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Eighteen Springboks that were part of the record-breaking Vodacom Tri-Nations victory over Australia

Was that the 13 point win sandwiched between two losses, one being in the RSA a week after the record win? Or were they talking about matches of earlier years? If so, had they forgotten Loftus in 1998?

That wasn't sponsored by Vodacom? As you were then.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Was that the 13 point win sandwiched between two losses, one being in the RSA a week after the record win? Or were they talking about matches of earlier years? If so, had they forgotten Loftus in 1998?

That wasn't sponsored by Vodacom? As you were then.

Oom Lee you are right as usual. Must be 2008
MATCH BREAKDOWNShow Printer Friently Version
MATCH SUMMARYTEAMS South Africa vs Australia
VENUE Coca-Cola Park, Johannesburg
DATE 30 August 2008 15:00
COMPETITION Vodacom Tri-Nations
FINAL SCORE 53 - 8
TRIES 8 - 1
HALFTIME SCORE 27 - 3
CONDITIONS Fine with strong wind.
CROWD 54219
MATCH OFFICIALSReferee Bryce Lawrence