• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cycling

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Second best thing to happen to me this weekend - tried out my new underlayer and rain jacket

The underlayer is a must. From a new outfit called TORM. They make their stuff from sportswool - one third merino wool. A must in the cold as sweat doesn't go cold in wool (especially important when stopping for your double machiato!).

Loads of others do it, but these guys are selling it at about half the price - £25 for a long cut base layer. Apparently they use the same factory as Rapha, but about half the price

The rain jacket was a Castelli Sotille - great cos so light-weight and tight cut, as well as being breathable.

And no, I'm sure as hell not sponsored by any of these feckers, dammit!

Any good for jogging? The wind here cuts right thru my footy jumper and the wicked tops I wear underneath and next to the skin...I can't wear wind cheaters as not practical...

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Can't believe I'm contributing to the lycra thread, but I found this on the Guardian website and thought I'd pass it on.

[video=youtube;Cj6ho1-G6tw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj6ho1-G6tw[/video]

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Nice one Scarfie, but seriously, two wheels? What a pussy

[video=dailymotion;x8as68]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8as68_mtb-unicycle-legend-kris-holm-free_sport[/video]

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Can't believe I'm contributing to the lycra thread, but I found this on the Guardian website and thought I'd pass it on.

Fuck me, how many times must that guy have come off a bike? Awesome

Funny tho how there were so many convenient ramps hanging around....

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Right - been really ramping up the cycling action of late. Started wearing some lycra and everything. The man tits look quite special, I must say.

Annnyway, next week I've got Tuesday off & have been building the km up gradually. Have been doing 2-3 20k rides (with hills) and then one 40-60k ride on the weekends or post work. So I'm thinking about trying for my first ever 100k ride (my goal for the year has been to completely one before year end & with the silly season approaching this the best opportunity I think).

Longest I have done before is 75 and after that, I was physically fine apart from a bloody sore knee/ACL. If anybody has tips to combat this it would be greatly appreciated? And of course any oher tips on how to handle a 4 hour ride!

[selfplug] If anybody is interested in following my rides, I tweet them all to DalgsHK [\selfplug]

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Awesome stuff MR

On the knee - I've got dodgy ones too and it's important that you're set up properly so that when the cranks are horizontal, the ball of your foot (which should be where you clip in) is directly underneath your knee. To check this makeshift a plumb-bob and dangle this from your knee cap while cranks in the horizontal.

Also - when the cranks are vertical, your knee joint should be bent at somewhere between 10 and 20 degrees.

Move your seat post up and down, or if you can, saddle back and forth to accommodate these

Other thing is that with my dodgy knees I found my leg could bow out naturally, which isn't good - you want the power going directly up and down like a piston. If yours does this you can either get insoles for your shoes that slant in, or (as I did) just concentrate on 'keeping your knees in' thereby keeping the power vertical. Makes a big difference

Good luck with the big ride - make sure you take food for a distance like that!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Your leg might bow out too, as mine did, because one hip (the opposite one) sits higher than the other. Just the way I am. I had to be set up with my seat slightly skew - I had a proper "Cyclefit" done, and my frame was custom made. But otherwise what Gagger said is right - don't want the leg straightening too much, you miss the power stroke. A lot of knee pain in cycling can be patello-femoral pain, sometimes a bit of arthritis developing, sometimes from poor tracking of the patella over the knee joint with flexion / extension. Again, I get a little bit as I am a bit knock-kneed, mainly on longer rides (though I have done none of those lately!).
Good luck, MR.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Get on the GU or other gel based energy supplements, very convenient for re-fueling and give you a real boost for a few minutes as well.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I find they're great for a short effort - like if you're coming up to a monster hill - but then dive afterwards.

Flapjack bites are great - you get the short term hit of the syrup plus the longer term oats etc

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Whatever happened to a bit of "Pot Belge" - equal parts caffeine, morphine, red wine and essence of duck sweat, or something like that? Look it up, legions of Tour riders swore by it.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
I did it, I fucking did it!!!!

Excuse the blasphemy but a bit of excitment is warranted. Took 4.5 hours which is a bit longer than I aimed for, but can't say I'm really bothered at this stage. I can barely walk today, left knee is extremely sore. Ride is more or less on the flat, but the small hills which you do come across (highest is about 40m) the knee was extremely sore. Had to put the bike in the highest gear and just slowly pace my way up.

Good ride though, first 65km were really good. One stop around the 20k mark to buy some water and a sports drink. At the 65k mark stopped for about 10 mins to smash a banana and an energy bar. Once back on the bike the first signs of mental fatigue kicked in. This was about the 2 hour 45 min mark & I started to get bored. So I focused on doing 20k before another energy break and then would finish off. The 20k was hard, but the last 15k was a killer. Hardest thing I've ever done. I had misjudged my route length so hard to start doing laps to get up to the 100, which was incredibly taxing.

So stoked with myself to finish it, but don't think I'll be heading out to do it again! My standard 40-60k weekend rides for a while & I defo need more time spent on the hills.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Awesome stuff MR,
How do you plan your route length? I reckon the custom maps feature in google maps, from about 1:16 in the following movie would be pretty handy.

If you use http://maps.google.com.au rather than http://maps.google.com then you get metric measurements as well.

[video=youtube;TftFnot5uXw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TftFnot5uXw[/video]

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
The HK information google information is dodgy at best, so routes are sort of done in my head. I park at a place called Tung Chung which is right by the airport and I know of loops from there which range from 5k to 35k.

Never had any issues with the knee before on any sport, and it only gets sore after mega rides so I'm not too concerned at the moment. I can't expect to do 4.5 hours of exercise without some sort of flare-up given that I'm the wrong side of 30, I was as lazy as all hell in most of my 20's and my BMI has me in the "obese" category! (although we all know what a load of shit BMI is, as I'm 89kg on a 175cm frame)

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Good work MR. How are the tracks in HK? Do they have dedicated bike tracks or do you go on road?
I'm in Canberra and the Govt (idiots) decided to spend shitloads of money by putting bike lanes on the side of some of the busiest thoroughfares and wonder why no one uses it.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
First day back on my bike after all this bloody snow in London. What is going on with this weather!

Not applicable to everyone back home in Australia but I gave myself an early Christmas present last week which is an under-shirt from Under Armour. I have been looking for ages for one of these but haven't been keen for spending the money they usually cost. I came across this one from a recommendation and it's only £40.

I had a nike running one which was similar however once you sweat you start getting really cold with the wind chill. This one is much better, I think because it has two layers you seem to stay warm.

As much as one can from only one ride, it seems like a good one if anyone else out there is going to keep riding through the crappy European winter.

Here is where i got it from;
http://www.underarmour.com/shop/uk/...-s-ColdGear-Compression-Team-Mock/1216480-001