• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Daniel Halangahu; Could he be an option for the Force in 2010?

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
now the man is still in his early/mid 20s and arguably equal to Beale and equal or better than Cooper and Lealiifano in many respects.

the man still has a future and certainly still a crack at wearing the green and gold. im not sure when his contract expires in nsw but i think it would be great to see another talented aussie 10 running around in the s14 rather than in europe or sitting on the bench (or in rugby league for that matter). wouldnt it be great to give another potential world cup prospect a shot rather than going off and finding a marquee.

it is obvious it is very unlikely he will ever get a crack at the tahs with the younger beale being a crowd favorite.

so, what do you guys like the thought of him getting a shot at the force? also, what are the chances of this happening in your opinion?

thanks.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
As things stand now, Giteau, Daruda and O'Connor are the five-eighths for the Force (which resulted in Brock James, Lachlan MacKay and Jim Hilgendorf leaving the last few years), Cooper and Barnes for the Reds, Beale and Halangahu for the Tahs (with a Wallaby, SNK, as reserve for the reserve 10) and Lealiifano and To'omua for the Brumbies. There are plenty of promising young Aussie five-eighths hanging around. The only problem is finding slots for them all to develop and leave us with some depth at number 10 for the Wobblies. What Australian rugby needs more of at the moment is quality depth in the centres.

The Force shouldn't have much trouble convincing a young number 10 to move west, starting with either Lealiifano or To'omua.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
the problem is we already have enough inexperienced 10s and need one with a reasonable amount of experience (ie halangahu).

the man needs a more decent crack at professional rugby badly.

F

formeropenside

As long as the Force dont poach another Queenslander, I dont care what happens.

S

steiner

You can have him as far as I'm concerned. Meanwhile we'll offer his contract to L'fano and complete a three-way swap. I don't think his passing and long-kicking games are up to it. Does well pre-season usually, but as the competitition and defence gets stronger and team skills have to come to the fore, and he can no longer rely on a little jink to break the line he gets correspondingly worse. He'd be a non-entity at test level where the defence is strongest.

Don't think he'd be suited to the Force game plan and don't think Mitch would be interested. Though how relevant Mitch's opinion is any more, I'm not sure.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Right now, Lealiifano's kicking game isn't up to it either. It was shocking last weekend, 3 or 4 or more out on the full.

S

steiner

Ash said:
Right now, Lealiifano's kicking game isn't up to it either. It was shocking last weekend, 3 or 4 or more out on the full.

Yep, true but L'fano hasn't been round as long as Hangers and shows a continual gradual improvement IMO so I'd give him a bit of time to get his kicking game sorted. Plus the rest of his game is stronger and he has significantly more potential IMO.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
steiner said:
Ash said:

Yep, true but L'fano hasn't been round as long as Hangers and shows a continual gradual improvement IMO so I'd give him a bit of time to get his kicking game sorted. Plus the rest of his game is stronger and he has significantly more potential IMO.

I think they are two peas in a pod, both are solid but average.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
fatprop said:
I think they are two peas in a pod, both are solid but average.

the difference is dan h has been given time to improve slowly playing alot of club grade before s14.

in contrast, christian came out of victoria. our club level isnt too special at all. he was really thrown into the deeps end so naturally he has weaknesses.

that being said dan is a well rounded player, the kind the force will need to restructure themselves in a more realistic way once gitts leaves.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
If I was Hangers I'd go west but wether it be Hangers, Daruda or JOC (James O'Connor) they'll all go ok.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Don't use the Rabbit as a flyhalf as you take away his great strength of beating folks with his feet.

His preferred position is inside centre, but as we saw in the Barbarians game: he's a pretty fair fullback. With Shepherd and Mitchell in the Force backline it is doubtful that he'd be anything else but 3rd pick there.

I think that Scott Daruda is a fine flyhalf and could make the position his own once he got a chance.

What might have been: Brock James can't get a start or is injured with the Force; so he pisses off to Clermont where he is now an icon of the town the way he is playing. Mind you - nobody knew what a top player he was going to become - and a healthy one too.

He has just re-signed, but the Force couldn't have afforded him anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.