• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Declining participation and ARU plans for the future

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
no sorry. They obviously don't have the same resources that the AFL does.

But that's the model they are using (as you spell out)

T

Tip

Super Rugby teams have 32(?) players on their roster.

Maybe the ARU & RUPA can legislate 2 sessions of "community engagement" a week to players.

Imagine if; regardless of on-field performance, each and every professional Rugby player in Australia (grouped with 3 of their piers) finished the year having visited 40 different schools and attended and run 40 Club Rugby "guest coaching" clinics. (20 kids, 20 teen sessions - they often train different nights)
They slowly chip away at level 1, 2 & 3 coaching certificates - increasing their rugby IQ and opening future career paths.

It's a great way to keep the players grounded, increase passion, knowledge and get the ball in a few kids hands and keep it there.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
Any idea on how many of them they have on the books? After talking to them I couldn't help but think that it would be a solid model for the ARU to emulate. Especially when it comes to cost. You could essentially have one full time DO acting as a regional manager of a number of part time or even scholarship student using it as a means of gaining vital work experience through Uni/Tafe.

That's what NSWRU do currently - the state is split up into regions (I think there's 3-4 in Sydney, then Central Coast, Newcastle/Hunter etc - all of your zones for NSW Country comps), each of which has a full time DO. The full time DO runs the show and organises casual staff to help deliver programs like Game On and school holiday clinics. I have a couple of mates who work as casuals whilst completing uni studies and they speak highly of it. Newcastle/Hunter has 5 or 6 of these casuals on the books, can't speak for other regions.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
A (rare) positive story about the growth of 7s in the bush. A 4 week comp about to start in Tamworth, with a big uptake from both sexes. Also great to see a DO involved!

Here is a direct link if the video doesn't work.

I think the guy in the vid showed the way forward. Its at local parks we need to get people involved and 7's is opening many doors.

Massive big tick for the simple but very effective way he has gone about things.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
A (rare) positive story about the growth of 7s in the bush. A 4 week comp about to start in Tamworth, with a big uptake from both sexes. Also great to see a DO involved!

I think this is one of the great strengths of 7s as a spring/summer oriented sport. Not only does it have the ability to draw in participants from other sports or just new participants all together but it allows regional centres like Tamworth to effectively overcome the tyranny of distance that comes with playing sport in the country. And size doesn't have to be a hinderance.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)

That's a great story barbarian, thanks for posting it. I think we can get bogged down too much in negativity and not realise that there are a lot of positive things happening in rugby. These 7's comps are a great way to get more participation and general involvement in the game. I would hope that the development officers are promoting this sort of model in their areas to get more of them going.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
That's a great story barbarian, thanks for posting it. I think we can get bogged down too much in negativity and not realise that there are a lot of positive things happening in rugby. These 7's comps are a great way to get more participation and general involvement in the game. I would hope that the development officers are promoting this sort of model in their areas to get more of them going.
Yes pleased to see the stats on 7's and game on - things are lock-in up..lot more to do but seem to me things starting to head in better direction from a long term plan perspective

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Not only the DO's but hopefully those administering clubs through the state etc. are sharing what is working for them and helping others get similar competitions off the ground.

As above, distance is the major impediment to playing competitive sport in the bush. Many people still do it but the opportunity be able to organise localised competitions without the need for hours of travel would be a huge bonus.

Running 4-6 week 7s competitions are perfect in the sense of scalability. Whether the centre has 50,000 or 10,000 people they can all get something worthwhile up and running.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Coffee shop blues and idle thoughts.

My appointment in the city has delayed our meeting by a tad over two hours. Wish the Fiiiiing hell he could have text me earlier, coming from the Central Coast its to far to go back to the office. So coffee and browsing the net and so so so so boring.

Anyways enough of my blues there are enough pretty girls walking by to cheer me up. To my idle thoughts and remember these are random thoughts as I have been reading sports pages.

Re a kinda combination of growing player numbers or at least helping to support those people in the stories above. Is this worth consideration.

The A-League [lets say Super Rugby] has called for expansion teams and they have according to some in the media received to date 13 expressions of interest with more to follow.

Got me thinking should we offer people who may be interested to buy the Super teams and use the money raised to build both the NRC and grassroots.

As I said idle thoughts have not given it to much practical analysis yet i.e. the NSW , QLD & ACT unions of course and ARU all need there two cents worth.

I know we have discussed this before but I can only assume there are people out there willing to fund a team. Would we be smarter to run a more franchisee system? Would it improve things is the bigger question?

Back to coffee, and looking at the pretty girls I guess.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Latest participation figures have been given to the SMH.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...layed-in-primary-schools-20161128-gsz6ma.html

Can debate the senior numbers, but that primary school figure is astounding. 28th to 8th in one year! Can only be a positive and shows just how important the Olympics was and will be going forward.

Brilliant

To all those involved we owe a big thank you and lets hope for their continued and greater success.

May also take the smug look on many AFL officials faces.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
There's been an aweful lot of chat about the ARU plan. Trust some recognition will be forth coming.

One thing that does bother me though, is the transfer from these new formats across to the adult 15 person game. Not something we will see for some time. If all that happens is ultimately strength in 7's it would be very dissappointing.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Imagine if; regardless of on-field performance, each and every professional Rugby player in Australia (grouped with 3 of their piers) finished the year having visited 40 different schools and attended and run 40 Club Rugby "guest coaching" clinics. (20 kids, 20 teen sessions - they often train different nights)
They slowly chip away at level 1, 2 & 3 coaching certificates - increasing their rugby IQ and opening future career paths.

Tip spot on so simple!!

Closer to the ground that is exactly what we have tried to emulate.

And promote the club and pathway for the kids.
Flyer - Allambie Junior Camp-page-001.jpg

Then do systems and processes well, and repeat, review, and repeat, review & .....................

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
There's been an aweful lot of chat about the ARU plan. Trust some recognition will be forth coming.

One thing that does bother me though, is the transfer from these new formats across to the adult 15 person game. Not something we will see for some time. If all that happens is ultimately strength in 7's it would be very dissappointing.

That's the challenge, isn't it. Getting kids from playing 7s at school, to 15s for a club.

For all the talk of their success, it's exactly the same challenge faced by AFL. Their schools/Auskick programs are great but the translation to junior and senior numbers (in NSW and QLD) isn't that great.