• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Declining participation and ARU plans for the future

CNorth

Herbert Moran (7)
Great idea alienate your biggest number of rugby players. Cracking idea. All those that play JGC are at school aren't they?

Start with your local school and push rugby instead of blaming everyone else.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Great idea alienate your biggest number of rugby players. Cracking idea. All those that play JGC are at school aren't they?

Start with your local school and push rugby instead of blaming everyone else.

But your falling into the binary argument trap. It's not an either/or situation.

Private schools have well-resourced rugby programmes. They are quite happy doing their own thing and they don't really need the ARU/NSWRU sticking their incompetent noses in to what is happening in schools. In fact I'd be very concerned if the ARU/NSWRU we given any control over what happens in my children's schooling.

The best way that the ARU/NSWRU can help schools (all schools not just private ones) is to get more kids playing the game at primary school age. In real competitions, not just faux gala days with no attempt to enage with any participants after the day is over. In doing so they'll also help junior clubs, subbies clubs, grade clubs, NRC clubs, super franchises and the Wallabies.

But we're talking long term here. There's no quick fix to the issues facing the game.

Before people jump on and say, "but the ARU has no money" or "the game is broke", my reply to that is - yes we are, but 15 years ago we had $30 million in the bank and blew it all with nothing to show for it. Have a look at what the RFU are doing with some of the profits from RWC 2015 - funding the installation of 100 synthetic turf pitches for grass roots clubs and ploughing some of the funds into supporting junior and senior club rugby.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
So, if the ARU has no money, what is the point going over this, again and again?

Successive regimes were responsible for what happened. Why burden the current lot with the perceived sins of the past?

CNorth

Herbert Moran (7)
You will capture more through school then club. Every kid goes to school not club. Push rugby at school. Bigger player base better rep sides etc. opposed to super clubs which turn kids off the game.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
You will capture more through school then club. Every kid goes to school not club. Push rugby at school. Bigger player base better rep sides etc. opposed to super clubs which turn kids off the game.

Which other sport in Australia follows this strategy?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
The

So you don't disagree however because it's not common practice in league or afl it's not a good idea ??? Yep do the same as everyone else I am sure you will increase market share. Not.

Ive seen many QH posts he's very avid having rugby in schools and a fan of the Peninsular Cup when it was strong - you may have read his post the wrong way??

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Not if you don't apply sufficient funds you won't.
That's the issue, the ARU have abrogated their responsibility, and sat back and let private Schools, who have different aims to the ARU, run Rugby for kids 13 and above, for decades.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
So, if the ARU has no money, what is the point going over this, again and again?

Successive regimes were responsible for what happened. Why burden the current lot with the perceived sins of the past?

1) Because when the rebuild does kick off we'd ideally not like to goes down this path again.

2) The previous regimes installed the current through appointments directors, Chairs and CEOs. They ensured that their "programmes" had continuity by ensuring that no dissenting voices were selected or if somebody did question their tenure was short. This is the biggest problem in Australian Rugby, throughout the whole system, the nepotism and world wide carpark searches. Rugby management in this country has all the diversity of thought that the central characters in the movie Deliverance had in genetics.

CNorth

Herbert Moran (7)
That's the issue, the ARU have abrogated their responsibility, and sat back and let private Schools, who have different aims to the ARU, run Rugby for kids 13 and above, for decades.

Agree funding is required only once demand is there. Ur parents push the case make a pain for schools to yell for help.
Throwing money at hope it will work is crazy.

half

Alan Cameron (40)

The

So you don't disagree however because it's not common practice in league or afl it's not a good idea ??? Yep do the same as everyone else I am sure you will increase market share. Not.

Well now what an interesting bunch of questions. Looks sky would crosses myself in the name of the father, the son etc.

Dear Lord forgive them they rely on the media.

Should we tell them,

Guys imagine, OK fantasy I realise if Rugby took from its small resources and kept it back from the players and developed a primary school approach. So develop a plan, resource it, make it part of school life. Then watch as your player numbers swell. Look I understand its impossible.

Well maybe not, you see in 2013 or there abouts FFA commissioned a study into how to grow their player numbers. So they funded a plan, published it, then funded its recommendations while having less money than rugby at the time.

The Beatles song "while my guitar gently weeps" springs to mind. This BTW is in Blind Billies time.

Study on school. Published.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au...Strategy_lowres_er0if56vbnpa1g75kyrxwxhkc.pdf

What the fuck they developed what. Part is copied below everyone should read this.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au...its-primary-schools/ivt37h28ncfa1p9swudksdvmi

"Football Fever’ is appropriately mapped to the Australian Curriculum and consists of eight units of work - four units at Years 3 and 4 plus four units at Years 5 and 6. Each unit is integrated with a specific focus on one domain and is designed to innovatively meet the cross-curricula with Asia and Australia’s engagement with Asia. The domains addressed in this resource are English, Mathematics, Art and Health and Physical Education."

Another thing they do.

https://www.sportingschools.gov.au/sports/football-federation-australia/schools

half

Alan Cameron (40)
^^^^

The page over run there is so much they fucking do and we talk. Then we say its luck there numbers have grown.

This is what NSW Football does.

http://fastfootballacademy.com.au/programs/school-programs-org

A new sponsor is in on the act --- Aldi.

https://www.sportingschools.gov.au/sports/football-federation-australia/schools

http://www.footballnsw.com.au/index.php?id=765

Why stop there this is what every A-League team does, some examples of Jets, Mariners & SFC.

SFC
http://www.sydneyfc.com/community/teacher-ambassadors-program/b11r4zxppl1q163kkmp4upus5

Newcastle Jets
http://www.newcastlejets.com.au/art...rogram-close-today/1euaspstjgiko1aipo3lcnq9j9

Mariners
http://www.ccmariners.com.au/community/sporting-schools-program/m29c8fw5vwk211d007thrcc2b

half

Alan Cameron (40)
^^^^^^^Its just I see this kinda thing all the time. FFA and their state associations do it and so well.

We all should be demanding the ARU match this effort.

That bit where they actually wrote a Football program in such a way its part of the school system just blew me away its worth coping again.

Everyone should read this.

"Football Fever’ is appropriately mapped to the Australian Curriculum and consists of eight units of work - four units at Years 3 and 4 plus four units at Years 5 and 6. Each unit is integrated with a specific focus on one domain and is designed to innovatively meet the cross-curricula with Asia and Australia’s engagement with Asia. The domains addressed in this resource are English, Mathematics, Art and Health and Physical Education."

Finally and this is from the wife, as is most of my knowledge on all things soccer. This is kinda beyond scary, nay its in a galaxy all of its own in scary.

Its the Bull Turner Cup and Trophy.

Soccer has a year all schools competition they have been working on and developing for over 30 years now.

This is the link http://www.billturnersoccer.com.au

Taken from the link. Please click on an read. Imagine over 800 teams say at 15 players a team with subs, thats over 12, 000 players and its becoming / is the most wanted school sporting award in Australia.

Just for Half, click on the link and read the names in the final 32 schools both male and female. Hint to Blind Billy look how many GPS schools in those finals.

FROM THE LINK """The Bill Turner Cup and Trophy is one of the world’s largest team sport competitions.
Around 800 school teams from NSW, Qld, ACT and Victoria participate each year, with all players 15 years and under."""

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
A meaningful Waratah Shield. How are the GPS and CAS folks going to fit it in? Drop playing bloody "trial" games. Make the first half of the season an intelligently structured knockout comp. Play the plebs, then you can get back to patting each other on the leather patches in your traditional comps.

I don't see how this will work in the short to medium term? "Pleb" public schools regularly forfeit to sport high schools in the Waratah shield (for the most part it's justified as they usually get demolished) how would these schools go against private schools? It boarder lines duty of care with the training programs the private schools have. Even the sport high schools get thumped on the odd Occassion they play private schools

Harv

Herbert Moran (7)
I don't see how this will work in the short to medium term? "Pleb" public schools regularly forfeit to sport high schools in the Waratah shield (for the most part it's justified as they usually get demolished) how would these schools go against private schools? It boarder lines duty of care with the training programs the private schools have. Even the sport high schools get thumped on the odd Occassion they play private schools
It certainly would be a difficult task, but with thought, community commitment and a few resources something along these lines is a step in the right direction. Quite frankly, if rugby wants to avoid becoming a kind of glorified Quidditch in Australia, hard decisions have to be made. The elite comps will continue, the proposal is simply to coordinate opportunities for rugby to be more inclusive when the biggies are not playing each other in meaningful competition.
To be clear, I'm not suggesting the local suburban high school with zero rugby pedigree fronts up against Joeys. The general idea would be to set up a tiered competition where the strongest schools are seeded and others qualify to play them before the thing becomes an across the board knockout comp. You'd have a majority of GPS V CAS and ISA clashes but it would also be a pathway for other committed programs to test their mettle, not just government schools, but maybe junior clubs and regional catholic schools too. For many years the CHS was on a par with GPS -- that's not the case anymore and things won't change overnight, but some of us were familiar with the Matraville High School side of 1977 for example. That's a long time ago, but the talent to replicate that sort of top tier school/club side outside the elite privates is there (usually playing league). Places like St Greg's and St Augustines have cross coders and at full strength, their XVs can threaten many elite schools (in Auggies case all elite schools). It requires innovation and breaking down a few walls --The big privates can just keep playing each other but senior Australian rugby will be forced to import more and more Kiwis, Saffers and others just to be competitive and the support base will be restricted to old boys and expats.
I'm not especially wedded to this specific concept, but I do know they have to start looking outward, rather than peering inward as they have pretty much for a century.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Whilst all these players already play, it was a scrum school held yesterday for the juniors - great morning, great idea.
3.jpg

Sharing good ideas that the kids enoy.

@ the Manly V Beasties game yesterday heard some great news with regards to work being done in the 4 local high schools.