• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Declining participation and ARU plans for the future

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
@BH - in the current social media driven - knee jerk world of journalism, i had a feeling there would be the increasingly common delayed other side of the story. Problem is, like a lot of these things, mud sticks. The story of poor timmy (leo) being bullied by the mean snobby ARU is better click bait then an investigation revealing that the ARU acted reasonably and maybe social media accounts shouldn't be used as the sole source of a news article.

Noting your use of the word apparently, but i bet a fair chunk of my wage there is a lot more to this than Leo's mum lets on that has been casually omitted.

not that news.com.au should be confused for a news source.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
@BH - in the current social media driven - knee jerk world of journalism, i had a feeling there would be the increasingly common delayed other side of the story. Problem is, like a lot of these things, mud sticks. The story of poor timmy (leo) being bullied by the mean snobby ARU is better click bait then an investigation revealing that the ARU acted reasonably and maybe social media accounts shouldn't be used as the sole source of a news article.

Noting your use of the word apparently, but i bet a fair chunk of my wage there is a lot more to this than Leo's mum lets on that has been casually omitted.

not that news.com.au should be confused for a news source.

I agree with all that. The blowback around this story is horrible for rugby and the truth is largely irrelevant to that.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Apparently there is more to this story.

This is third hand but allegedly the kid and his club had asked to allow him to play in older age groups, SJRU agreed but said he can't then go back down to his old age group.

Suggestion that he kept jumping back down age groups and that the parents and club had been emailed etc. telling them it can't continue to happen.

If that is true then getting withdrawn from playing on the day of a game wasn't exactly the situation. They'd already been made aware that he shouldn't be playing and this was just the first time it was actually enforced by having someone turn up to stop it.
Wait - you mean it didn’t go down exactly how they said on Facebook.

Wow. I’m shocked.

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)

This is third hand but allegedly the kid and his club had asked to allow him to play in older age groups, SJRU agreed but said he can't then go back down to his old age group.

Suggestion that he kept jumping back down age groups and that the parents and club had been emailed etc. telling them it can't continue to happen.

If that is true then getting withdrawn from playing on the day of a game wasn't exactly the situation. They'd already been made aware that he shouldn't be playing and this was just the first time it was actually enforced by having someone turn up to stop it.

So now a different narrative, but then the rugby admin were taking him out because he had played up , not because of his size, but why did they not say that was the reason? Instead, this is what they said: "Sydney Junior Rugby Union (SJRU) released an official statement on Wednesday in response to criticism from one mum about her son Leo Hinekiteao being banned from playing because of his superior size in a junior rugby competition."

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

That would make sense. I've been involved with kids who have sought dispensation (both up and down), and once it's granted they have to stick to that comp, they can't just jump up and down as it suits them.