• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Develope rugby Skills : The JP du Plessis way

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Attended last friday a demonstration of equipment and skills by JP du Plessis dad, Charl at KleinGims sportsfield, Cheve in Paarl. Must say its hell of a interesting for myself who grew up the iron way of mountain running, pole PT and to see this passionate man taking KleinGims U13s through his drills with this equipment.

If you interested to see more about this equipment and the way Charl develope JP and his small boetie, head to

http://www.maxissport.co.za/

Charl teach fatties to sidestep and pass.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I love your broken english paarl, it always cracks me up reading it.
Some dont like my red tale. Maybe they dont know me that well and take offense when I mix it up a bit which never is my intention.

Forgot to mention that Charl du Plessis is a fitness and skills coach at the Lions.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I definitely don't have German or Italian as good as PB's English. Planning on fluency in at least one tho some time in the future.

Wondering why you used the Auckland icon for the thread or am I missing something?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I definitely don't have German or Italian as good as PB's English. Planning on fluency in at least one tho some time in the future.

Wondering why you used the Auckland icon for the thread or am I missing something?
Sorry my mistake, should be the Rebels icon, JP will play his rugby there.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Rugby365
Professional rugby has seen players represent teams from all over the world, with the number of South Africans plying their trade in Europe a well-known phenomenon. One man who already knows more about travel than most is 19-year-old JP du Plessis.

Du Plessis represented Western Province at the 2009 Craven Week in East London, and later matriculated from one of the great rugby nurseries in South Africa, Paul Roos.

His subsequent signing by the Australian rugby league side Sydney Roosters caused quite a stir in rugby union circles in South Africa, since it appeared another promising player had decided to take his trade off-shore.

For the players themselves, the decision is never that simple, as Du Plessis explains torugby365.com: "I saw an opportunity to play a different code of rugby, improve my game and prove myself as a player. Also, it was for me to mature as a person and the excitement of the unknown."

After initially being spotted at the St. John's Easter Tournament by the Roosters in his final year at school, JP was faced with a difficult choice towards the end of 2009: union in SA or league in Australia.

"I did a lot of research and spoke to my parents about it. I took a while to decide and until two months before I left for Sydney, I wasn't sure if I was going to go to the Lions, or to the Roosters. So yeah, it was a big decision for me."

However, JP found it difficult adjusting to the 13-man code, saying the differences between the two games couldn't really be seen from a spectator's point of view, but as a player, it was a massive change.

"It definitely wasn't easy," he admits.

"I remember I made a mistake in my first training session at the Roosters where I went into contact and placed the ball as you do in union, and my teammates had a laugh. There were a lot of differences and I found it hard to adapt to."

From Sydney, and the Roosters, Du Plessis - whose father is a skills coach at the Golden Lions in South Africa - moved to Melbourne and the Rebels; with a return to the 15-man game. So what made him decide to change course once more and head to Melbourne?

Du Plessis's reply is concise and straight to the point: "I missed union, having played it my whole life."

So, as we sat in his newish digs in Melbourne, was he happy with the decision he made just over a year ago? He answers: "Definitely!

"I think in some ways I wasn't successful in what I wanted to achieve, but in other ways I learnt so much that I wouldn't have learnt if I had stayed in union.

"Also, learning to be independent far away from home is important. You know, having to wake up and make your own bed... and cooking your own food."

The Rebels are being coached by former Wallaby supremo and World Cup-winning boss Rod Macqueen, who ended his hiatus from professional coaching to take charge of the new franchise. Du Plessis is excited to learn as much as he can from Macqueen.

"Rod's got the experience and knows exactly what to do to bring the team together and he's very focused on standards, and always lifting those standards. Stuff like not being late, always being in the right clothes, and always focusing at training," he says.

The former Paul Roos student compliments the set-up at the Rebels, saying that while standards are held in very high regard, the players are given the opportunity to be themselves.

"The squad is filled with an amazing bunch of guys, from all over the world. Last time I checked, 14 guys in the squad have previous captaincy experience at a high level. That's a lot of knowledge and experience which younger blokes in the squad can tap into.

"I'm enjoying it which I didn't think was going to happen being a young player trying to fit in. They took me in and teach me every day which is awesome," he enthuses.

Du Plessis is just beginning his professional union career, and while he is in Australia for the next two seasons, those who believed he was lost to South African rugby will be pleased to hear that Du Plessis is anything but done with his country of birth: "I'm still 19, have a lot to learn and so much to look forward to.

"I don't know what the future holds but as it stands now I would love to appear in Springbok colours. I represented SA Schools and that was amazing... putting on that jersey and singing the national anthem."

While representing South Africa is something Du Plessis hopes to achieve in the future, his goals this season are simple: "I think I am one of the only ones who doesn't have Super Rugby or professional rugby experience, so I just want to move forward in my rugby career and allow my game to grow, with the matchday squad being one of those goals.

"I'm giving it my best and a rugby career is only so long, so I don't want to miss anything and just enjoy every single moment."

Rugby union will be competing against league, Australian Rules and soccer in the winter sports category in 'Rebels land', with Melbourne being known as Australia's sporting capital.

"I meet a lot people when we go out and it's really funny when you mention to them, 'Oh yeah, I play union', and they have no idea what the difference is between union and league. They would say, 'Ah, you play rugby. Do you know the Melbourne Storm?', then I say 'Nah, its two different games'.

"People in Melbourne love their footy [Australian Rules], but I hope the Rebels will help grow rugby union in the area."

The big back smiles as he adds to rugby365.com: "Still, it's strange that when it comes to union, most people don't know what you're talking about!"

English is Australia's national language, so has Du Plessis been able to roll out the odd Afrikaans conversation on occasion?

"Not really. [Laughs] I've got two or three mates that I've met so far that can speak Afrikaans. We were at a function and they came up to me and introduced themselves.

"We spoke Afrikaans and some of my teammates turned around, and they didn't have a clue what we were talking about. It takes you right back to South Africa, right back home again in its own way, but no I don't speak it a lot."

The Rebels' latest South African recruit will be somebody to watch as the new Super Rugby season progresses, and while he is in Australia now, the Rebels could be doing South African rugby a big favour in helping this talented player find himself in Melbourne.

And, if he breaks a few South African hearts along the way during the Super 15, don't be surprised...

He is going to hurt us much more then RattleBones, make no mistake.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think I mentioned this but I drove past him in the street a few weeks back and I've never seen a 19 year old, let alone many people full stop, with his physique.

Jez it's impressive, even amongst professional athletes.

He selfs it so much!

You could be right or it could be more the fact that a 12 feeding it or running a dummy line isn't going to make his own highlights reel.

We'll see I guess.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
What's so impressive about him, he doesn't look exceptionally big?

Pretty sure this is him on the left. Right is Todd Carney.

jpd.jpg
ToddCarneytagged.jpg

H

Hartman

I think I mentioned this but I drove past him in the street a few weeks back and I've never seen a 19 year old, let alone many people full stop, with his physique.

Jez it's impressive, even amongst professional athletes.

Looks normal to me, I'm 19 and know plenty of people my age with equivalent/better physiques... like myself!

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Just shredded is all.

Really? I'm and I know a fair few blokes who play sport at high levels and they are built nothing like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.