• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Did Tapuai butcher a try?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
After Hooper's wonderful break up the field, the ball goes wide to Tapaui, who beats a man on the outside, and then utterly ignores a 3 on 1 overlap with Harris and Cummins, tries it himself and totally butchers the opportunity.

He should be keel hauled for this!

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
He should be keel hauled for this!
He probably will be (or left out of the starting XV at any rate)..... TBF, this may have happened anyway with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) looking at returning to his spot at Tapuai's expense.

Rob Horne, on the other hand - it's gotta be said - kept his starting position after doing something similar. Maybe there's a warning for these kind of indiscretions before they're made to walk the plank.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
It was a great example of white line fever by Tapaui that has to be said.
It's got to be said though, I think why many people may of overlooked it compared with Horne is because he is fairly inexperienced at the test level where Horne has played something like 14 tests and perhaps we assume he ought to be more composed in a situation like that.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
He probably will be (or left out of the starting XV at any rate)... TBF, this may have happened anyway with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) looking at returning to his spot at Tapuai's expense.

Rob Horne, on the other hand - it's gotta be said - kept his starting position after doing something similar. Maybe there's a warning for these kind of indiscretions before they're made to walk the plank.

Horne bombed one try and we had page after page of grizzles, but as Tapuai plays in maroon he will be given far more latitude

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
I can't believe the focus is on this after Hooper ran 50m away from his supports. For shame.

Interesting that at the moment that Sharpe passed, Tapuai was quite deep, Harris and Cummins (anticipating Kurtley's kick?) had rushed up quite flat and had to check.

bacline.jpg

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Really? He put his head down and ran straight. He was either going to score a try or go to ground and recycle. Much better than throwing a wild pass to someone 10m behind him and losing the ball.

All of his support players were back in our own 22.

He ran directly in the opposite direction.

I'm pretty sure vidiot was being a little facetious.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I used play 13 and if you freeze it at 0.35 I reckon I would have passed it straight away. The second best solution is what Taps does - there's heaps of room out there and it looks lovely to run into. But I don't think Taps butchers it at all - give credit to the tackler who prevents Taps from passing. If he had a hand free, I'm sure he would have got rid of it.

The criticism should be of Taps' performance in the tackle, not his decision-making. I'd give him 6/10.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Watching the whole thing again I reckon Bob Dwyer would say that the whole attack is too wide. Why do we have two blokes sitting on the right-hand sideline? Taps could really have done with (1) his outside man - Harris - being a lot closer, and (2) the whole lot of them running straighter and running around in support.

From 0:31 to 0:38 the ball goes 50m-60m exactly sideways. The players actually run parallel to the 22m line.

It's a sad day, isn't it Bob?

Yes Scarfy, you are quite right.

Not like the old days, eh Bob?

No mate. You know, I used to draw lines on the pitch and make the players . . .

Yeah, I know Bob.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
The Argentinian number 10 (Hernandez?) rushed up and forced Tapuai to hold the pass and run into the space around him.

But after this, he had an opportunity to tack back in, draw the man and save some of the space for Cummins/Harris out wide.

I think he could have done better in contact anyway.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Offloading in contact is what you need to do to create an opportunity out of nothing when you have no numerical advantage.

When you have an overlap you should never be seeking contact before making the pass. The percentage play will always be to commit your defender and then pass to the open man.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The Argentinian number 10 (Hernandez?) rushed up and forced Tapuai to hold the pass and run into the space around him.

But after this, he had an opportunity to tack back in, draw the man and save some of the space for Cummins/Harris out wide.

I think he could have done better in contact anyway.

Yeah, too many of our backs are too easily shepherded towards the sideline

Straighten the attack, take the space, commit the defenders, draw and pass

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I don't think a try was butchered. Once he is tackled there is a swarm of Puma players coming across in cover who would have stopped Cummings or Harris had the received a pass. My issue is that he didn't drive straighter in the tackle and present good ball for the next phase. I don't think it's a sackable offence and hopefully he will learn from it. I still think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will be 13 next week in Brisbane.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I thought Tapuai's other crucial error was when Argentina scored their try. He was the defender a few metres out from the line and tried to hold the attacker up off the ground. This might have been the right move if he'd had a lot of support but he didn't. By holding the player up it allowed the Pumas to drive across the line for the try.

In the circumstances, Tapuai needed to bring the man to ground.

Other players may have made the same mistake. It was obviously a decision made very quickly and he chose the wrong one.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
I dont know if it was Tap's fault. After Hoopers break the wallabies were unsure what to do as they are not use to chasing a team mate with Ball 70m from the 22. I can't see Robbie giving Hooper any praise for what he did as its not his game plan to play attacking Rugby from our 22.. Sorry scrap that comment our Half, actually at all.

Hooper should have put the ball on the toe himself and chased his own kick down.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Offloading in contact is what you need to do to create an opportunity out of nothing when you have no numerical advantage.

When you have an overlap you should never be seeking contact before making the pass. The percentage play will always be to commit your defender and then pass to the open man.
I couldn't merely like this: it is fundamental and it is not said enough to young blokes (12-19 year olds)

Status
Not open for further replies.