• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Digby Ioane - good news and odd news

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Digby Ioane has rejected a lucrative move to Japan and will play in next season's Super 14 competition.

But he'll have to ask his mum if he's allowed to stay in Queensland.

Ioane, the most destructive Australian back during this year's Super 14 campaign, has left contract negotiations with the Reds and the Australian Rugby Union in the hands of his mother Sia, who lives in Melbourne.

But for the first time in the protracted will-he-or-won't-he saga over the future of one of Australian rugby's hottest properties, Ioane said the lure of playing at the World Cup had overpowered the attraction of the yen being dangled in his face from cashed-up Japanese clubs.

"The main thing is I'm staying in Australia, which is good. That took a lot off my back because I was going to go overseas," he told brisbanetimes.com.au.

"I'm just leaving it to my mum. She's doing everything for me ... she's taking care of everything. I didn't want to do it by myself because I'd be stressed out."

Ioane's tight affiliation with his family is no secret, so much so that the QRU chief executive officer Ken Freer flew to Melbourne last week to meet with those closest to the three-quarter.

After splitting with his former manager Greg Keenan, Ioane has initially handled contract talks on his own but says he has now left it to his mother.

"It's really up to my mum. She calls all the shots," said the 23-year-old, who is recovering from a shoulder injury that has ruled him out of the Wallabies' winter and spring calendar. "My last manager I let go so I gave it to my mum to do all that."

However, he said he favoured remaining in Queensland over a move to another Australian franchise, including his former employers the Western Force.

Ioane has been buoyed by the retention of captain James Horwill, openside Daniel Braid and playmaker Berrick Barnes, whose re-signing is expected after the Reds' conclude their mid-season review.

"I'm keen to stay in Queensland. There is just some stuff that needs to be finalised," said Ioane, adding he expects to pen his signature to a new contract within two weeks.

"The doors are open, I'm not going to rule anything out. I just want to get the best offer I can - but I'd like to stay in Queensland."

Ioane conceded a conversation with Australia coach Robbie Deans in Melbourne at the end of last month had convinced him to put the prospect of Wallaby glory ahead of overseas riches.

"I've thought about it heaps. In Japan the money is huge but the major goal is the World Cup - that comes around once in a lifetime so you can't complain about that," he said.

"Robbie Deans hit it on the head - that only comes around once."

Ioane's change of heart comes after he claimed he was insulted by the ARU's original offer for him to stay in Australia, which was reportedly worth only a base of $175,000 a season.

It is also good news for the Reds, who have consistently said that retaining Ioane at Ballymore is their number one priority this off-season.

"There has been a lot of dialogue over the last two or three weeks," said the Reds performance manager Ben Whitaker.

"We're at a point now where he has all the information in front of him and he's at the stage where he needs to re-engage the ARU.

"I wouldn't say we're necessarily in a more positive position, but we're in a good place."

F

formeropenside

He's always said its largely about the money for him; he's the main breadwinner for a large PI family.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
formeropenside said:
He's always said its largely about the money for him; he's the main breadwinner for a large PI family.

So the Force it is then...unless Lewis can swing some of that Rocky schwag Digger's way.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
where is he most likely to land? do the ponies have any spare cash left for him? i thought there was talking of them going for a high class winger type but maybe that was if rocky and/or rabbit didn't join the team? gotta think the force will make a play to "get him back". tahs should but won't.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Tahs have got outside backs coming out their arsehole, Brumbies are also pretty well catered for and wouldn't have much more cash after bagging Rocky. It seems to be a Force vs Reds scenario, and he obviously favours the Reds.

Unless the Force can significantly top the QRU offer then it looks like an open and shut case.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Scarfman said:
Unfortunately for the Reds their case is a basket.

Did you see what I did there ...
That big space in the middle of your post is against the spirit of your request about not wasting time and space quoting other posts excessively.
Did you see what I did there? ;D

H

hatchie

barbarian said:
Tahs have got outside backs coming out their arsehole, Brumbies are also pretty well catered for and wouldn't have much more cash after bagging Rocky. It seems to be a Force vs Reds scenario, and he obviously favours the Reds.

Unless the Force can significantly top the QRU offer then it looks like an open and shut case.

While the Force are low on wing stocks at the moments, I hope he stays in Queensland for the Reds sake. At least from this interview, it sounds like he will.

It could be just Subiaco, but whenever Digby has played with or against the Force there, his hands grow tits. e.g. season 2006, season 2007 & round 8 2009.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
The Reds will lose some of their outside backs anyway - the Force should be targetting one or two. If you look at wing and fullbacks, the Reds have: Hynes, Ioane, Morahan, Davies, Toua, Va'aulu, Will Chambers. Obviously Va'aulu is the least valuable and will probably be let go, but I'd be surprised if they manage to hold onto them all. I can see Morahan being snatched away, and he has huge potential. If I was the Force, I'd be targetting Morahan.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
While I would love to see Ioane with the Force, i hope he stays in Qld. He can then play centre there. The Force are fine with centres with Ryan Cross kicking around, and their wing stocks, while low, arent that bad, with Cummins and Shepherd both very good, and then the third spot open to either Haig Sare or Dane Haylett-Petty, who I would like to see given more of an opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.