• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Diggers - Athlete or Rugby Player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Just thinking, after watching some vision of Digby Ioane, does anyone else on here think that Diggers is more of an athlete than a rugby player?

If you watch his first opportunity to score in the Reds Saders final, all he really needed to do was grab the ball, but he tried that weird half volley kick that just stuffed the opportunity up.

Also, he can't kick to save himself.

Diggers is super fast, really exciting to watch, but as far as rugby nous goes, i think the jury is still out.

What are your thoughts?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Both good points fellas, it's just something I've been keeping an eye on. Don't get me wrong, I like him and think he's got some good skills to offer and he now has the opportunity to show that he can perform at international level. But if i were the Kiwi or Saffa players/coaches, i'd be watching him closely in the Samoan test.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
His type of player isn't uncommon though. Speedy islander winger who can't kick and is prone to brain farts. Also see Messrs Sivivatu, Ranger, Gear, Masaga, Pakalani, Vuna, Poki, Savea etc etc

I do see your point though. I also wonder about his ability under pressure, but he hasn't done much wrong so far.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
I agree Baa Baa, i'm really looking forward to seeing him run around against the Samoans. It will be a good enough gauge to see how he performs. I expect the Samoans to be physical, which will test this defence, and it will be interesting to see what his positioning is like for kick returns.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Looking at the half volley kick thing, my view was that the ball was grubbering and he went to kick it just as it sat up. I think he was committed to the toe through and tried to jump to carry it through. Happens with odd shaped balls

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I'll happy swap the occasional error for the dozen bullocking runs each game. When he first started he had hands for feet. Now all he really needs is some awareness of his supports to be a superstar winger.

Henry

Bill Watson (15)
I think he is a very talented ATHLETE. He still tends to run a little too sideways in order to make a gain though. IE. 8 steps across, 5 forward.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think Diggers is a rugby player these days but it isn't something that he was when he started. If you want an athlete I will take an example from rugby league and Jharal Yow Yeh. He is an athlete who doesn't seem to understand simple things in the game, can score some great tries but does some stupid things almost as often.

W

What2040

probably lacks some skills in passing, catching and tactical kicking - BUT when he has the ball in hand he is great, makes the metres and he'll never die wondering.

Running Rugby

Sydney Middleton (9)
I think Digby is turning into a fairly good footballer- who has some ability to read the game particularly in attack. It will be interesting to see how he goes today without Genia and Cooper and this may give us a better indication of where he is at as a footballer

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
i agree Smartarse. to me it looked like he had made his mind up to kick it 5 steps before he got there, then when got caught up with the ball it reared on him too late to change his plan

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Digby is electric and a very good athlete but does lack some rugby skills, passing, catching kicking etc. Makes up for it through physicality.

A player who had both was ben tune. Loved watching him play

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Well, i've got to say that Diggers had a cracker tonight. Definitely a rugby player based on his performance this evening.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Diggers may have been like Drew Mitchell in his junior rugby days. Drew Mitchell never learnt how to kick because he was such a good ball runner that he just always took on the line.

R

rugbyfan

Trucks the ball up when needed and I tend to like his play, tries to be flashy when times about, and when we are need of a settler, he does so.

What about his sprint/limp? Makes me wonder if he's gonna make the line!

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Well, i've got to say that Diggers had a cracker tonight. Definitely a rugby player based on his performance this evening.

Where is the double-agree button? Diggers did everything. Trucked it up. Defended at 10. Threw players over the touchline. Stepped. Fended. Scored. I want to have his babies, and will steal them if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.