• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Drugs in sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I thought that unlike Essendon, where they have enough to nail Hird & co alongside the players, there's not the same level of evidence in Cronulla, so need the guilty pleas to get the admin side.

But I may be 100% wrong.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I thought that unlike Essendon, where they have enough to nail Hird & co alongside the players, there's not the same level of evidence in Cronulla, so need the guilty pleas to get the admin side.

But I may be 100% wrong.

"A compelling 30-page document, including an appendix of exhibits, was presented to past and present Cronulla players before their final admissions of the use of banned supplements.

"The material, shown players by Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority lawyers, undermines the view that the evidence against NRL players was very weak and they were stampeded into accepting guilt.

"Cronulla chief executive Steve Noyce confirmed this, telling the Herald that the players, who had never genuinely believed they took prohibited substances, only did so when presented with evidence last Wednesday."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...aking-deal-20140827-1091y4.html#ixzz3BfZpB6Y5

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So stupid Warney gets two years for one vanity pill, Dell Boy Sailor gets outed for two years for taking performance reducing recreational chemicals, and these self confessed drug cheats get 3 weeks for participating in a systematic drug cheating programme.

Somehow justice doesn't seem to have been done.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Clearly this could have been handled much better but hopefully it shows professional sportspeople in Australia that the whole team being injected with a variety of unknown substances is not just something that is part and parcel of modern professionalism.

It beggars belief that none of the senior players put their hand up and questioned what was going on and drew the line at a very early point but hopefully it means it doesn't happen again.

There will always be people trying to cheat but when it becomes systemic within a club and no one even questions it, it's a huge problem.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
So stupid Warney gets two years for one vanity pill, Dell Boy Sailor gets outed for two years for taking performance reducing recreational chemicals, and these self confessed drug cheats get 3 weeks for participating in a systematic drug cheating programme.

If you believe Warney pinched a pill from mummies handbag,you are exceedingly naive.
They are only self confessed,due to the settlement that lashes them with a feather,required them to admit guilt.
They were lashed with a feather due solely to the low expectation of any successful prosecutions coming out of their investigations.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^^ I tend to agree with you, but the compelling 30 page dossier assembled by ASADA has obviously knocked the wind out of the sails of some of the Sharkies, to the extent that they have confessed to being drug cheats rather than continue to deny and/or obfuscate and fight ASADA in the judicial system.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
It's a pragmatic approach.
Sit out the last 3 games of the season,and have an early holiday,when you are playing for nothing.
Or defend yourself over a long period of time,with certain high legal costs to be incurred.
I really don't think any of these players will have loss of reputation over this at all.
No brainer,it's not even mitigating damage,it's removing any damage from the equation.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wonder if ASADA's approach would have been different if they weren't all from sports that have little international relevance?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think that the size, international relevance or popularity of the sport may not be an issue.

How popular is snooker?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/sport/76376.stm

Darts: 8 weeks ban for marijuana
http://www.the-site.name/alansdartssite/articles/drug_testing.htm
We often joke about having drugs tests in darts when people play well and in the past it always seemed ridiculous to even think about it with the amount of alcohol consumed during the average match, but drug testing has just been implemented this year and has already resulted in the banning of one player,Robbie Green who was banned after becoming the first darts player to fail a drugs test.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

No offence but warney came back from a major shoulder op.. Not to moving it to full on bowling.. He took drugs to get back for the world cup..

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I expect the players will be offered sweetheart deals and the officials will be offered nothing.
So it's probably more a case of being permitted to read the writing in the wall.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
They were offered the same deal as the Cronulla players,however they had finals expectations and passed on the deal.
If they take a deal now,it's got to include a hefty chunk of next season now.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
It should be about 12 months.

Stinks that Saad got had to challenge 24 months down to 18 months for drinking a milkshake on the wrong day, but that's how the cards fall.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Is a pain killer before or during a game to either get you on the pitch or keep you on the pitch performance enhancing? It aids olayers performance.

If yes then how many sports and players, doctors, coaches administrators etc would be banned?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
"..... but they're none to pleased with the way ASADA & the Government handled the enquiry".

They can just get into line with the rest of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.