• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Drugs in sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
The status of drugs changes all the time and notifications are posted on WADA and ASADA lists.

'I didn't know what was in the supplement' doesn't cut it in the real world. They are not supplements - they are drugs, and banned ones. It's the player's responsibility to monitor what goes into their bodies, not the doctor's nor the club's.

Apparently ASADA is offering a 6 month sanction and the Shark's lawyer is advising them to take the deal.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
There are claims that Sharks players used peptides at a time when they were not banned.There are no urine or blood tests that these players have failed.
Why would the club solicitor be recommending they take a 6 month ban?
What am I missing?

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
There are claims that Sharks players used peptides at a time when they were not banned.There are no urine or blood tests that these players have failed.
Why would the club solicitor be recommending they take a 6 month ban?
What am I missing?

They have continued using them after they were banned (in 2012). I heard there is a whistle blower that confirms this and that the lawyer (who used to work for ASADA) thinks they would go for the mandatory 2 years if they don't do a deal.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
No way fourteen guys get done on the word of one ex employee.There must be more evidence than just the word of a whistleblower.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Pretty sure they did not mention numbers. I assumed it was the 14.
had it been only 6 there would have been more talk on the distinction between those players accused,and those that they expected to cave.
But what do I know,I was sure it was all a media beat up.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
They have continued using them after they were banned (in 2012).
Where is the evidence of that?
In this 1984 like approach of the ACC is that "minor detail" being suppressed (or merely not released) so that they cannot be accused of being soft? or is the real issue here that the drug testing used failed to detect either the drugs, the masking agents or the (I presume) elevated levels of hormone?
This has been handled in the most appalling amateurish witch hunt type way.
The public are dragged in to a widely known secret that elite footballers are taking peptides by a conspiratorial public airing.
We are invited to condemn the drug takers.
The only evidence in support of us condemning them suggests they were not illegal when taken.
If these keystone cops want to get us onside they should stop trying to win the media war and give us the facts - were they taken when they were banned?
Simple.
If they were give them 2 years for the reasons Torn Hammy cites.
Edit:
having listened to the audio form this article - i think my first guess is right: they have insufficient evidence to charge/convict these blokes and that's why they're offering the otherwise obviously lenient sentence.
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-arms-with-former-trainer-20130306-2flrd.html

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Faaark, this could be tragic. losing 10 plus players for the whole season just hours befroe it starts. How does a club, which was already weak, recover from this?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Even if 14 players from the Sharks "go down" on self confessions, I fail to see how this represents the "Darkest Day in Australian Sport" as previously reported.

Believe it or not "Australian Sport" is a far bigger canvas than Mungoball and Cross Country Volleyball.

If there is evidence of wrong doing after the substances were banned, then throw the f&^king book at them, and fast, otherwise let the "clean" athletes and their fans get on with the Season without a cloud of suspician hanging over them.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Good to see some administration and support staff made accountable for the Sharks situation.

Too often these illicit activities are conducted with the tacit approval of club or team officials, with sufficient plausible deniability.

When one of their charges gets caught out cheating, the aforementioned club/team officials hang the "drugs cheat" out to dry.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Good to see some administration and support staff made accountable for the Sharks situation.

Too often these illicit activities are conducted with the tacit approval of club or team officials, with sufficient plausible deniability.

When one of their charges gets caught out cheating, the aforementioned club/team officials hang the "drugs cheat" out to dry.
I havent seen the evidence that the activities were "illicit" - where can I find that?
I hear, however, that 2 big names and 1 huge name in mungoball are about to take the walk of shame.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Inside Shoulder I heard a summary of the Sharks presser on ABC 702 on the drive home from the Salt Mines today. Several Club Admin, Operations and coaching/support staff have been terminated or stood down. No "evidence" per se but the investigation has identified that they either were complicit or "should have known".

My use of the word "illicit" is related to the more general Performance Enhancing Drugs in Sport issue (illicit activities) rather than specific to the Sharks situation. Plenty of evidence about Marion Jones illicit activities, Ben Johnson illicit activities etc. Plenty of speculation about East German athlete Illicit activities. If there was ever a case for sports coaching staff and administers to take a hit then East Germany must be the lead contender.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Inside Shoulder I heard a summary of the Sharks presser on ABC 702 on the drive home from the Salt Mines today. Several Club Admin, Operations and coaching/support staff have been terminated or stood down. No "evidence" per se but the investigation has identified that they either were complicit or "should have known".

My use of the word "illicit" is related to the more general Performance Enhancing Drugs in Sport issue (illicit activities) rather than specific to the Sharks situation. Plenty of evidence about Marion Jones illicit activities, Ben Johnson illicit activities etc. Plenty of speculation about East German athlete Illicit activities. If there was ever a case for sports coaching staff and administers to take a hit then East Germany must be the lead contender.

Ok - I've answered my own question:
This article explains why, though not specifically banned there may be a problem:
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...stified-what-it-all-means-20130307-2fome.html

Frankly i think this could be the blackest time in Oz sport if this all comes to pass.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^
That article is a good find.

Mr Stephen Danks seems to be the (cross code) magnet here however it appears that athletes and others will end up paying the cost rather than what appears to be the common factor and catalyst.

Blackest day - Don't know yet.

Melbourne Storm Salary Cap cheating - 2 titles lost
Carlton Afl Club Salary cap cheating - banned from draft choices huge fines
Aust Cricket Under arm - never live that down
Americas Cup yacht sinking - embarrassing as hell
Fine Cotton substitution - first order cheating
Sharks (and other Stephen Danks associates found using PED) - ongoing

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
^^^
That article is a good find.

Mr Stephen Danks seems to be the (cross code) magnet here however it appears that athletes and others will end up paying the cost rather than what appears to be the common factor and catalyst.

Blackest day - Don't know yet.

Melbourne Storm Salary Cap cheating - 2 titles lost
Carlton Afl Club Salary cap cheating - banned from draft choices huge fines
Aust Cricket Under arm - never live that down
Americas Cup yacht sinking - embarrassing as hell
Fine Cotton substitution - first order cheating
Sharks (and other Stephen Danks associates found using PED) - ongoing
On news radio they were suggesting premierships would be stripped - so it's not just cronulla.
The story I heard involves undoubtedly banned substances and state of origin players.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Stripping QLD of SOO titles - Now I like the sound of that. About the only way that NSW mungoballers seem to be able to win.

Any evidence that Mr Danks consulted to the QLD SOO team?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
On news radio they were suggesting premierships would be stripped - so it's not just cronulla.
The story I heard involves undoubtedly banned substances and state of origin players, from 2 different sources, 1 an ex state of origin player.

Status
Not open for further replies.