• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Dubai 7s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Aussie men win their first match against Wales 38-7 in a dominant display.

Aussie women win their quarter final against England 29-12.

It will be interesting to see how our men go against Fiji. I think we're a real chance and really need a win there to get on the right side of the draw and have a good shot at making the semi finals.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NZ women out, losing QF v USA 12-14 after beating them 45-14 in Pool play.

NZ men first-up winners 24-12 v SGT's Samoa.

I see your blokes have got Fiji in their final Pool match. Best of luck, sports :)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Aussie women win the Cup 34-0 v USA, congrats ladies.

NZ women finished 5th.

NZ men given a fright by Argentina, 2 x YC the main problem, but got home 21-19 then 22-12 v USA to set up a QF with Kenya.

Aussie men 47-0 v Russia & a creditable 19-26 v Fiji, QF v England tonight. Other QF are SA v Samoa & Fiji v Scotland.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Creditable undersells the Ozzie performance big time.

It was very nearly a two try win to Australia.

We are undoubtedly a much better unit this year.

T

TOCC

Even more impressive for the Aussie Womens 7s since they were missing 3 of their best players in Green, Quirk and Dalton.
Pelite, Sykes and Tonegatro were the best for me

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Creditable undersells the Ozzie performance big time.

It was very nearly a two try win to Australia.

We are undoubtedly a much better unit this year.

How many Series points is a " very nearly " worth these days :) ?

Agree that your lads look way sharper this year than last, hopefully they can get it done very Ringinland & set up a trans-Tasman SF (provided, of course, our lot can also get it done very Kenya which based on last night is no certainty).

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Bugger. I can sorta kinda live with losing at 7's v our Strayan neighbours but getting done over by Ringinland, at anything & as I suspect we will later tonight, really pisses me off.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Disappointed (particularly with the blatant red card missed in the Fiji game) but not surprised to see us crash out.

New coach and 5 of last year's core 10 missing, replacements aren't of the highest quality, and with the exception of Graham, the drop ins from Glasgow/Edinburgh aren't of the same level as the likes of Horne last year.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Pleasantly surprised to learn we got past Ringinland to make the Final, if you'd offered me that pre-tournament I'd have said "yes, please". NZ really need to tighten up their discipline, way too many silly penalties given away in all their matches I saw. Ditto the Hail Mary offloads like the reverse flick to no one 15m from their own line v Kenya, you can't be doing that unless you're well up on the board.

Anyhow I'm off to Te Kuiti/ Meadsville for an appointment with a mate of the bro-in-law who does farm kills for a living & the unsuspecting porker he'll have hopefully dispatched by the time we get there.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Was certainly a tournament of missed opportunities for the Aussies.

We should have at least drawn against Fiji and topped the pool and then gave up some silly tries against England in the quarter final.

They need to be more clinical in the key moments next week in Cape Town to crack the top 4 and give themselves a chance of winning the tournament.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I thought Kennewell had a really strong tournament.

Longbottom got a bit of a reality check and hopefully now realises that the World Series is a fair step up from the warm up tournaments now that all the good players are playing. A few times he overplayed his hand and we got punished for it. He's a great talent and will become a vital player for us but he isn't going to dominate the best teams in the world from day one.

It's great to have Lewis Holland back!

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I thought Kennewell was great when he played direct, he just needs to stop the side way scoots that he does a few times, he's a ball runner not a play maker.
Longbottom went well for a debutante, as did ODonell & Hood. Plenty of upside
there.
Killingworth & Anderson were our best IMO.

I thought Holland's loss of pace had a huge negative impact on his performance.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I thought Kennewell was great when he played direct, he just needs to stop the side way scoots that he does a few times, he's a ball runner not a play maker.
Longbottom went well for a debutante, as did ODonell & Hood. Plenty of upside
there.
Killingworth & Anderson were our best IMO.

I thought Holland's loss of pace had a huge negative impact on his performance.

Agree with all of that. Hopefully Holland keeps improving. You would hope he isn't back to 100% of where his fitness and health will get to. Lackie (sic) Anderson was excellent again. I also really liked O'Donnell's debut. He's great.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Longbottom looked a bit better last season, the few times I saw him. He looks to have put a bit of weight on, probably needed to, but maybe he is not as electrifying with the ball. Hope we do not manage to coach all the creativity out of him.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Longbottom looked a bit better last season, the few times I saw him. He looks to have put a bit of weight on, probably needed to, but maybe he is not as electrifying with the ball. Hope we do not manage to coach all the creativity out of him.

Last season? This was his first World Series tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.