• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Eddie Jones Appreciation Thread

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
Screen Shot 2023-12-15 at 10.58.42 am.png

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Just read a great post on Eddie's coaching.

Adrian
7 hours ago

Thanks Nick
It's good to see some actual analysis of his coaching, and I'll come back to that.
I think that in Australia at least, the whole saga has damaged coaching and will continue to do so for a while.
Starting with the brutal, unethical and arrogant sacking of Rennie, and encompassing a multitude of aparent lies and contradictions it was just allowed to roll on. Brutally sacking coaches undermines the confidence of future coaches. Bullshitting to players undermines their future confidence and ability to relate to coaches. Telling lies to supporters turns them away, many to never return.
So, getting that out of the way, what about the coaching?

Certainly some stats suggest he was good at times, but I would argue that most top level coaches would have done as well or better in all situations. Certainly with the early 2000s Australian sides. People I know who spoke with players reported that the players thought it laughable that ultra structure would do anything other than annoy players like Larkham and Co, but they went along with it…by talking his talk. The Reds experiment was almost as comical as this year, but no one noticed.
Jones was and always has been saved by good players.
In the recent RWC having a “plan” that had ABSOLUTE structures such as kicking on the 5th phase whilst at the same time having “ad lib” playmaking bookended by the structures was farcical. The team had been stripped of players with any capacity to “ad lib”
Jones may think that his heavy structure orientation works, but every team he played in or coached that won had at least 3 players who could “ad lib”, but make it all seem like part of the plan.
This con job has been going on for 25 years

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)

Adrian
7 hours ago

Thanks Nick
It's good to see some actual analysis of his coaching, and I'll come back to that.
I think that in Australia at least, the whole saga has damaged coaching and will continue to do so for a while.
Starting with the brutal, unethical and arrogant sacking of Rennie, and encompassing a multitude of aparent lies and contradictions it was just allowed to roll on. Brutally sacking coaches undermines the confidence of future coaches. Bullshitting to players undermines their future confidence and ability to relate to coaches. Telling lies to supporters turns them away, many to never return.

Certainly some stats suggest he was good at times, but I would argue that most top level coaches would have done as well or better in all situations. Certainly with the early 2000s Australian sides. People I know who spoke with players reported that the players thought it laughable that ultra structure would do anything other than annoy players like Larkham and Co, but they went along with it…by talking his talk. The Reds experiment was almost as comical as this year, but no one noticed.
In the recent RWC having a “plan” that had ABSOLUTE structures such as kicking on the 5th phase whilst at the same time having “ad lib” playmaking bookended by the structures was farcical. The team had been stripped of players with any capacity to “ad lib”
Jones may think that his heavy structure orientation works, but every team he played in or coached that won had at least 3 players who could “ad lib”, but make it all seem like part of the plan.
Great analysis, look how England dropped off a cliff after the WC in ‘19.

Spamnoodle

Sydney Middleton (9)

Adrian
7 hours ago

Thanks Nick

Any Reds supporters who were around at the time certainly noticed and remembered! The guy was directly responsible for the departure of many good players... Starting with Steve Moore. The guys a walking disaster.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Any Reds supporters who were around at the time certainly noticed and remembered! The guy was directly responsible for the departure of many good players... Starting with Steve Moore. The guys a walking disaster.

Moore was still there in 2008 under Mooney

the players who finished up under Eddie were

Ben Tune
Nic Berry
Tom McVerry
Mitchel Chapman
David TeMoana
Tama Tuirirangi
Andrew Brown
Henari Veratu
Cam Trelaor
Geoff Abram
Lloyd Johansson
Ernest Skelton.
Gavin Warren

meanwhile he debuted
Schifcofske
Genia
Odonaghue
Va’aulu
Quade

Spamnoodle

Sydney Middleton (9)
Moore was still there in 2008 under Mooney

the players who finished up under Eddie were

Ben Tune
Nic Berry
Tom McVerry
Mitchel Chapman
David TeMoana
Tama Tuirirangi
Andrew Brown
Henari Veratu
Cam Trelaor
Geoff Abram
Lloyd Johansson
Ernest Skelton.
Gavin Warren

meanwhile he debuted
Schifcofske
Genia
Odonaghue
Va’aulu
Quade
Fair enough, must be selective memory.
I recall hearing from a brother of one of the players on the leaving list that many weren't happy with the situation.
For whatever reason I thought Moore was one of those guys.