• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Eddie Jones comes out of the closet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
From: http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/...oach-in-the-nrl/2009/02/12/1234028208175.html

FORMER Wallabies coach Eddie Jones has a burning desire to coach rugby league and is interested in returning to Australia to fulfil it.

Jones, who recently announced that he will quit as the director of rugby at English club Saracens after the current season, has not yet decided his long-term future.

The former Randwick hooker joined Saracens in 2006 as a consultant and later took over as director of rugby from Australian Alan Gaffney.

He will also continue his association with Japanese rugby club Suntory. He also has tentative commitments to tutor coaches in South Africa in June during the British and Irish Lions tour to the Republic.

However, the man who directed the Wallabies to the 2003 World Cup final in Sydney against England last night told the Herald of his ambition to one day coach rugby league.

He said he had not received any formal offers from English Super League club Wigan, as had been reported, nor from any English rugby clubs - although Wasps and Leicester are said to be interested.

But his dream is to coach in the NRL in Australia.

"I played league when I was a young kid and loved the game," he said from London. "I always watched the game pretty intently and still watch it.

"If ever there was an opportunity to do that I would jump at it because I think it is a fantastic game. It would be a great challenge."

However, Jones also spoke of his willingness to be a part of a Japanese Super team, if one were created as part of proposed expansion plans for the Super 14 competition.

"That is definitely a possibility," he said. "Japan is the market that could potentially take off the most."

He spoke of his concerns over the future of Super rugby, unless it underwent an overhaul.

"The expansion from Super 12 to Super 14, I don't think, has been successful," he said. "It might have been successful in generating more television which is important for the participating unions and franchises.

"But I don't think it has created a better competition, or attracted more supporters to the game. It has probably had the opposite effect. And the level of the competition, I think, has really fallen off."

Jones believes that the competition needs to be structured along the lines of the National Football League in the United States, where there are conferences and play-offs.

Jones also reiterated his disdain for the International Rugby Board's new experimental law variations (ELVs) that are being used in tournaments around the world.

"They make it more complicated for the referee," he said. "They have more to look at and are missing out on areas of the game. Defence is getting an advantage over attack. The whole idea of the ELVs was to give the game greater balance ? and it hasn't done that."

So the axewound has openly come out and admit he loves league after years of forcing the Oz rugby team to try and play brumby-league.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
To be honest, I never bought into the Brumby-league theory. Thought it always was a massive beat up from people who didn't like the Brumbies' success and style of play, and who didn't know anything about league.

F

formeropenside

There was a bit up here in 2007 how Jones always supported Queensland as a boy despite being a New South Welshman.

Of course, one wonders why he played for the Waratahs...until one remembers that in Qld he would have been behind both Wallaby hookers Tom Lawton and Mark McBain.

R

rugbywhisperer

isn't it a joy to see that whenever he he has an opportunity he can find room to bag anything rugby that even smells of 3N.
Jeeeez I am glad he is gone gone gone - league can have him but I think even they might be too smart to take him.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The man just keeps making my case for me. CYA Eddie - don't let the door hit the back of your wall-eyed, squinty little dwarf head on the way out.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
NTA said:
The man just keeps making my case for me. CYA Eddie - don't let the door hit your wall-eyed arse on the way out.

I've never heard that insult before. What is a "wall-eyed arse"?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I meant to point out he is wall-eyed and should take his arse elsewhere... Though looking back, a comma, complete with another insult, could have fixed that problem. Let me correct that.

S

Spook

Ash said:
To be honest, I never bought into the Brumby-league theory. Thought it always was a massive beat up from people who didn't like the Brumbies' success and style of play, and who didn't know anything about league.

It's called envy :D

Seriously though, Eddie is a serious media tart and has lost a huge amount of credibility over the years.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
It's very difficult to take Eddie seriously. What happened to the 3 year contract he signed with the Reds in 2006? That's the one before he signed another 3 year contract with Saracens in 2007. It would seem he's not a man of his word.

League can have him. Good riddance.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
We should have ditched him straight after the 2003 RWC, for some reason everyone was happy that we just made the final & he was praised when really we should have been gutted to lose a world cup on home soil.

He has done nothing but damage Australian Rugby.

The Saffas new how to use him, lock him in a cupboard with a thousand rugby dvds & tell him to pick faults in the opposition & keep him away from all players & staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.