• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Eddie Jones Stormers, No, Wait, England coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/WorldCup/Eddie-Jones-named-new-Stormers-coach-20150921

Cape Town - Decorated international rugby coach, Eddie Jones, will take over the role as head coach of the Stormers at the start of the 2016 Super Rugby season.
The former Wallabies head coach and 2007 World Cup-winning Springbok technical advisor will assume the Stormers coaching reins from Allister Coetzee, who moved to Japan after the Stormers’ SA Conference-winning 2015 Super Rugby campaign.
“Our Director of Rugby, Gert Smal, always promised that he would deliver the best and in Eddie Jones I am more than satisfied that we have appointed the best coach to take over the reins of the Stormers,” said WPRFU President, Thelo Wakefield.
“Eddie is no stranger to South African rugby and we look forward to making him feel welcome and ensuring that he brings more silverware to Newlands.”
Having guided the Brumbies to Super Rugby success back in 2001, Jones coached the Wallabies between 2001 and 2005 - delivering Tri-Nations and Bledisloe Cup success, as well as taking them to the 2003 Rugby World Cup Final on home soil.
The 55-year-old will best be remembered by South African fans for his role in the Springboks’ 2007 Rugby World Cup triumph, whilst he has also previously held coaching roles with the Reds (in Australia), English club Saracens and Japanese outfit, Suntory Sungoliath.
And just this weekend, Jones gave the rugby world a reminder of his abilities and tactical appreciation by guiding Japan to a shock 34-32 win over the Springboks in 2015 Rugby World Cup action in Brighton.
Speaking about Jones’s appointment, Smal said: “As I said from the start (of our search for a coach), this has been a thorough process, which saw me look both internally and externally.
“Eddie was always on my mind in terms of potential external candidates and it’s a massive coup that we have signed a coach of his ability - really, his coaching credentials and achievements do speak for themselves.
“I really enjoyed our interactions and working with Eddie during the 2007 World Cup, he can add even more value here - both in terms of pushing for trophies and, importantly, in helping the continued development of our coaches and players.”
Jones commented: “I am a coach that enjoys a challenge and I see this job as a huge challenge, but one that excites me tremendously.
“Having worked with the Springboks in 2007, and in the process working closely with people like Gert Smal, Allister Coetzee, Jean de Villiers and Schalk Burger, it gave me a brief taste of what Stormers rugby and Western Cape rugby is all about.
“I am well aware of the responsibilities that come with this job, one of the biggest franchise jobs in world rugby, but I am also excited about the talent available in the Stormers squad and the potential of this playing squad. This is a challenge I am looking forward to.”
Jones will arrive in Cape Town at the conclusion of his 2015 Rugby World Cup commitments with Japan’s national team.
“We will get Eddie here as soon as we can after the Rugby World Cup, so he can get started with his 2016 preparations. He is obviously focusing on Japan’s World Cup campaign at present, where he has already made a significant impact, but we look forward to welcoming him here as soon as he is able to get here,” said Smal.
Smal, meanwhile, also confirmed that Robbie Fleck (attack) and Paul Treu (defence) would remain in their respective Super Rugby roles, with a new senior forwards coach potentially on the union’s shopping list ahead of 2016.
WP Rugby recently confirmed the signing of outstanding young Springbok lock Pieter-Steph du Toit, as well as the retention of four young Bok stars, Frans Malherbe, Eben Etzebeth, Siya Kolisi and Damian de Allende on long-term deals.
New signings Jano Vermaak (scrumhalf) and JP Smith (prop) are already part of WP’s Currie Cup squad, whilst experienced loosehead prop JC Janse van Rensburg and Springbok speedster Cornal Hendricks will join WP Rugby ahead of the Stormers’ 2016 Super Rugby season.
“Our new Currie Cup coaching team of John Dobson, Dawie Snyman, Paul Treu and Vlok Cilliers is working well together and Robbie Fleck has done very well in his new role as head coach of our Under-21 team. Having a guy like Eddie to learn from could only be a good thing for all of our coaches here at WP Rugby - from junior level upwards,” said Smal.
“Eddie’s appointment, along with our new player acquisitions- with more signings to still be revealed, is a clear sign of our intentions to challenge for Super Rugby silverware and to continue with our success in local competitions, both at senior and junior level.”

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Good luck to him. He gets a bit of hate on these threads and most of it is over the top.

Most of it probably had to do with the 2007 Super Rugby season. Can't say that the Stormers will be overly optimistic if they try to remember that year the Reds had.

At least he got one over Meyer on Saturday after the 92-3 that year.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Most of it probably had to do with the 2007 Super Rugby season. Can't say that the Stormers will be overly optimistic if they try to remember that year the Reds had.

At least he got one over Meyer on Saturday after the 92-3 that year.

IIRC the whole Reds set-up was a bit of a basket case in 2006-2007. I just had a look at their annual report of the years.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
He served the Brumbies and Wallabies well. Makes a few out-there comments to media occasionally but technically I think a great coach.

Good Luck to him.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Great coach, but are the Stormers coachable?

Good question and one that can be extended to South African sides in general. They seem mired in the same game plan and player development/selection policies from 20 years ago. Now with the added politics just to make it interesting.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Good question and one that can be extended to South African sides in general. They seem mired in the same game plan and player development/selection policies from 20 years ago. Now with the added politics just to make it interesting.

The Lions seem to have plan, but the Stormers (and the Bulls and Sharks) too often seem to be more bothered with the physical confrontation than winning the game

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Jeez guys. Did you see what jones did with cherry blossom?! What can he do with Stormers, with or without black player directives?

Surely queries over his ability have now (at least) been tempered?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Jeez guys. Did you see what jones did with cherry blossom?! What can he do with Stormers, with or without black player directives?

I think you have to temper that with what he did with the Reds and Wallabies.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Good luck to him. He gets a bit of hate on these threads and most of it is over the top.
Jones is an outstanding coach. Some of his ideas at the Wobs were simply ahead of their time. Look at two sevens and mobile props. Players had to catch up with his innovations. By far the best set move coach in the world.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Jones is an outstanding coach. Some of his ideas at the Wobs were simply ahead of their time. Look at two sevens and mobile props. Players had to catch up with his innovations. By far the best set move coach in the world.
Offset by his complete disregard for the scrum and it's importance. He wasn't all of the problem but he certainly didn't help. And we are only now recovering from those decisions.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)

What does this mean? Does not compute.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Great coach, but are the Stormers coachable?

Coertzee put them into a horrible defensive straightjacket and they could not attack to save themselves. Jones will organise their attack (probably over-organise) and I would expect to see some good systems, albeit without much flair. The only team capable of flair in SA are the Cheetahs.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
The Lions seem to have plan, but the Stormers (and the Bulls and Sharks) too often seem to be more bothered with the physical confrontation than winning the game

And it seems it took losing their Super Rugby place for the Lions to get a plan.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
One thing Jones ill get in WP is a very strong rugby structure. WP have the best schoolboy talent base in the world. At the moment their u19s is 2nd and u21s leader of the CC log. The WP team play some exciting running rugby at the moment, far from what they dilvered under Coetzee the last few years. WP is also the province in SA who dont have any problem with qoutas, the rugby culture is excellent in all communities in the Western Cape. Saffers get stucked easily in our poltics and forget the right priorities. An outsider like Jones is what the docter ordered and hopefull we'll see a total different Stormers team after this World Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.