• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Election 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
She had a swipe at the whole media actually. It was a moot point anyway cos the costings weren't available for the journo to look at during the campaign anyway. The Aus article is a beat-up; what she said on Insiders was that channels like Sky and News24 shouldn't get journos in to talk to other journos about political issues.

My problem with that is if they took her offer up it would just be more empty spin and question-evading. At least you might actually get some insight from some journalists.

Oh, and Rupert hates her already anyway.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeah gough must have really fucked off Rupert. He hasnt been kind to any left since the early 70's.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Didn't hear about them complaining of John Howard's treatment by the media and KRudd's extended honeymoon period? Also, the $11bn blackhole was attributed to treasury' interest rates - the coalition used the bond rate and the treasury plucked another rate out of the air apparently.....

Also, the election is now over so maybe this thread can be locked and we can start a whole new politics one.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The treasury needs to explain how they appear to have lost their impartiality and have given Labor significant 'advances' in their costings. For a department that is normally conservative, they seemed to have changed this when Labor has needed help (ie for the MRRT).

If Gillard wants all media to not express their opinion, does she then want other organisations to stop expressing theirs in support of her party (eg most unions)?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...ys-julia-gillard/story-fn59niix-1225919405976

Gillard has a swipe at media organisations, most likely the Australian and the likes of Allan Jones. She should tread carefully here, doesn't want to make an enemy of Rupert.

Of course she neglects to mention the under reporting from Fairfax of the BER and Insulation sagas.

That is absolutely pathetic. What she says doesnlt even really make sense. And yes I agree Scorry, she opens herself up to more scrutiny by the media. Maybe this is an attempt to deflect from the looney tunes cabinet selection?

Get on and "govern" or whatever it is you plan to do until we can vote again.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
No reason you cant put processing admin centres in the sticks. My first job in the UK was with a large bank that moved its admin HQ to my 'country town'. Incentives from various government agencies helped grease the wheels but they came to the conclusion that my town was just as capable of providing employment services as a major city and at a lower cost, added to the lower cost of real estate, services etc. Now I appreciate that the distances in the UK make this sort of thing easier to setup but still see no real reason why it couldnt happen here.

Many companies in the UK who moved to the outer areas of London incentivised their staff to move. I did project for a food services company about 10 years ago who had moved out to Harrow. In the area they were based there were numerous companies who had done the same. It's viable but it would mean a massive mindshift. People generally want to be in cities.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
That is absolutely pathetic. What she says doesnlt even really make sense. And yes I agree Scorry, she opens herself up to more scrutiny by the media. Maybe this is an attempt to deflect from the looney tunes cabinet selection?

Get on and "govern" or whatever it is you plan to do until we can vote again.

Aren't we all glad that Peter Garrett has our children's future in his hands!? And that Rudd, who has pissed almost everyone off gets to become our top diplomat?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Aren't we all glad that Peter Garrett has our children's future in his hands!? And that Rudd, who has pissed almost everyone off gets to become our top diplomat?

Seriously Scotty you disappoint me. Rudd is a Queenslander. You are supposed to stand up for him.

The Garrett appointment defies belief.

Oh and may I point out that Jooliiiaaa has no education minister.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
She's made an interesting call with Combet as Climate Change Minister, who has come right out and said that coal mining still has a future in OZ.

http://www.miningaustralia.com.au/news/coal-mining-has-a-future-combet

Just about the most sensible thing a minister has said in the last few months. He might do OK in this portfolio. He's actually a pretty effective operator from what I understand, so here's hoping.

You just like him because he is an engineer like you and me (you are an engineer, correct?).

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
She's made an interesting call with Combet as Climate Change Minister, who has come right out and said that coal mining still has a future in OZ.

http://www.miningaustralia.com.au/news/coal-mining-has-a-future-combet

Just about the most sensible thing a minister has said in the last few months. He might do OK in this portfolio. He's actually a pretty effective operator from what I understand, so here's hoping.

You have jinxed him now. He will be on the backbench in weeks.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Seriously Scotty you disappoint me. Rudd is a Queenslander. You are supposed to stand up for him.

The Garrett appointment defies belief.

Oh and may I point out that Jooliiiaaa has no education minister.

I dislike Rudd more than any other high level Australian politician ever!

C

chief

Stephen Smith did an excellent job as Foreign Affairs Minister. Rudd's egotistical ways are certain to not be welcome in the new cabinet. I certainly prefer Gillard to Rudd, who has no faction support anymore.

Greg Combet should do a great job, he's been touted as a possible future leader, so to see how he goes in this portfolio will be interesting. Wong's appointment to finance is surprising, I don't support it, as her Climate Change policies certainly shouldn't see her rewarded to the important finance role.

And here's the joke of the day, Simon Crean gets the Regional Australia portfolio as well as Arts. Crean should do a great job as Regional Australia, but come on surely there is someone better for the Arts gig.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Yeah, how do you group regional affairs and arts together? They are spending too much time mucking around splitting and grouping traditional portfolios and not enough time on getting the work done.

Surely Garrett to Arts would have been better?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
You guys on Garrett. Stop thinking what Rupert tells you to think.

In my opinion, Brendan Nelson and Julie Bishop were monumentally incompetent Ministers for Education. Brendan is no genius, but Julie is a very thick individual.

My understanding (or at least, hope) is that Garrett was told to take the heat on a couple of decisions that ought to be pointing towards Rudd. I'm going to adopt a wait and see approach with him, but please don't imagine that all the incompetence is on one side.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
You guys on Garrett. Stop thinking what Rupert tells you to think.

In my opinion, Brendan Nelson and Julie Bishop were monumentally incompetent Ministers for Education. Brendan is no genius, but Julie is a very thick individual.

My understanding (or at least, hope) is that Garrett was told to take the heat on a couple of decisions that ought to be pointing towards Rudd. I'm going to adopt a wait and see approach with him, but please don't imagine that all the incompetence is on one side.

I agree with Nelson and Bishop. I don't like either of them.

You are probably connect about Garrett, in that he took one for the team. I said exactly the same when it was all happening (ie that if the truth was found out about Rudd's involvement, it would be likely to lead to him losing the election - turns out he didn't even get that far). However, if you are right, it is also likely that Garrett is partially been given this ministry so that he continues to keep his mouth shut. Oh and the fact that his beliefs regarding the environment are conflicted with his duties as environment minister.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Pete should never have joined the ALP really. He is a Green at heart and should have thrown in his lot with them. Nothing he'd done in his civilian life had prepared him for the responsibilities he would face in a ministry. He was unfortunately typical of a high profile candidate helicoptered in and elected based on his notoriety, not up to the job. I actually admire the bloke and his convictions, but I think he sold himself out.

Out of the line up so far, I think Smith, Combet, Ferguson and Crean will be absolutely fine. Pragmatic and practical guys all of them and they'll do well. Rudd finally got his wish to be foreign minister and I think he'll be a disaster, but at least he'll be overseas. I expect him to expand his UN role and exit Aussie politics (here's hoping), which would certainly help Gillard.

Status
Not open for further replies.