• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Election 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Abbott is being a little childish with this pairing arrangement negotiation, and I can't see how it is going to do the Australian public or the Coalition any good. His popularity will go downhill quickly if he keeps this up.

Gillard has already signalled how she is going to 'govern'. 'There will be no carbon tax while I lead the government' was a straight and unambiguous statement to try and garner some more votes the day before the election. A few days after the government was formed and it is now clear there is a straight backflip on this to suit her new political alliance. The clear signal for me here is (whether you believe in a carbon tax or not) that she will govern for her own political interests, and not what she truly believes is in the best national interest.

I also note that Labor has now reversed their objection to a bill concerning protection of journalist sources. Bill was being put forth by Wilkie and Xenophon, and had the backing of the Coalition (meaning it would likely be passed). Labor has backflipped on their original stance just so that the Coalition doesn't get a one over them in the house of reps.

So that is one opposition backflip to two government backflips. The opposition backflip concerns the working of the government, while the two government backflips concern two possible bills, one of which could be the biggest new tax since the introduction of the GST.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The most arrogant member of parliament is still Kevin Rudd though (and I assume you voted for him, Bowside). As I have said before he had the twice the arrogance of Keating with only half the intelligence.

Rudd is the most annoying senior Australian pollie in many a long day. At least Keating was entertaining in parliament and had some good ideas as treasurer (most of which got implemented).

The great thing about Kev being foreign minister is that he gets to swan around the world talking a load of diplomatic twaddle and staying out of the domestic affairs of the country. He can make a bunch of useless speeches at the UN, lecture everyone about it and not be in the Reps most of the time. Perfect as far as I'm concerned. I felt the same way about Downer and Evans before him.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
How ironic that Rudd recently lectured the UN to act on what they have talked about/promised!

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Politicians are going to lie. It is a fact. However, when they lecture others on things they didn't do themselves, this sort of pisses me off.

Overall, I'm happy to judge on performance in government. So far the Labor party has been found wanting, even more so that the Coalition in Howard's last term.

Australia will be in a much worse position in three years time if they perform as poorly as they did in the last 3 years. They will have destroyed the good work of the previous 20 years of government from both Labor and the Libs.

Status
Not open for further replies.