• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

England v Australia, Sunday 19 November 2:00am AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Australia have been around the world a coupla times the last eight weeks while the Poms have had their feet up in Blighty. The Wallabies win over Wales looked slightly more competent than the Poms over Argentina but, it was the Soap Dodgers first hitout since, what, the 6 Nations? Anyways, Cheika and the brains trust have a bit of fine-tuning to do with this team, especially in the back row and centres. My team:

1. Sio
2. TPN
3. Kepu
4. Simmons (last chance to pull your finger out, Rob, and I don't mean on the penalty score sheet!)
5. Coleman
6. McMahon
7. Hooper
8. McCalman
9. Genia
10. Foley
11. Koroibete
12. Hunt
13. Kuridrani
14. Hodge
15. Beale
16. Moore
17. Ala'alatoa
18. Robertson
19. Philip
20. Hanigan
21. Phipps
22. Kerevi
23. Meakes

The scrums are one area we absolutely must get right during training this week. And, if we give away penalties like we did against Wales we'll get slaughtered. Something else to fix up on the training paddock.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think we need two centres on the bench, and Meakes was lousy against the Baa Baas.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I believe the expectations is that Lukhan Tui will be fit for this game and may find himself on the bench. Perhaps a 6-2 split
This is great news. We could really use him whacking blokes in the last 20 especially on the cleanout where we'll need to be accurate to stop the likes of Itoje.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Probs put Beale back at 12 and Hunt at 15, Hunt better under the high ball and Beale/Foley worked well in the Rugby Championship. Either way not a big deal though.

I just pray McCalman is in for Hanigan.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I thought Hanigan was OK again. He was busy but still struggled in the physicality stakes. Against England maybe starting with McCalman is a better go but our lineout could suffer.
Either way is fine.
Having Tui available is a big bonus and I reckon we will see a 6-2 bench.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Hanigan is the lightning rod, because god knows Wallaby fans always need one. But he doesn't do a lot wrong, he's just a bit ineffectual with ball in hand.

His defence is accurate and quite physical. His work in the lineout is good, and our work at that set piece has been one of the low-key successes of the season. He rarely makes errors, or gives away silly penalties.

As a stop-gap, future prospect kind of selection it's not the worst. I'd like McCalman to start ahead of him, but with England so strong at the lineout I could understand why he might get the nod again.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Hanigan is the lightning rod, because god knows Wallaby fans always need one. But he doesn't do a lot wrong, he's just a bit ineffectual with ball in hand.

His defence is accurate and quite physical. His work in the lineout is good, and our work at that set piece has been one of the low-key successes of the season. He rarely makes errors, or gives away silly penalties.

As a stop-gap, future prospect kind of selection it's not the worst. I'd like McCalman to start ahead of him, but with England so strong at the lineout I could understand why he might get the nod again.

His ball in hand is average but i don't that's what draws such ire. It's his clean-out work. Which is shockers.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Hanigan did a helluva lot better than I expected him to against the Leekeaters.

But I hope he is not in the 23 against the Soap Dodgers, he would get blown away.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
His ball in hand is average but i don't that's what draws such ire. It's his clean-out work. Which is shockers.

It is. But overall, our cleaning out was effective in retaining our own ball. It can always be better. It probably will need to be against England. As Baa Baa said, it's probably about the balance of things. If they feel McCalman will do set piece / lineout / defence at the same or better level then he probably should play.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

He had a couple of shockers in that regard in the Rugby Championship but I think his game against Wales was pretty solid in that regard. His defence in particular was strong against Wales. I tend to think he'll start again against England. I expect Hunt will come into the starting side for Kerevi and Tui will come onto the bench either instead of Philip or as a 6th forward reserve. Otherwise I think we'll go with the same side.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Hanigan gives it 110% and does not let up. At International level though more muscle would be good over the bustle.

I remain to be convinced, but tbh if he is our weakest point we have a good chance at Twickenham.

Let’s not front Eddie with an underdone line out.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We really need to sharpen up our scrum and discipline to be competitive against England.

England weren't great against Argentina (although I suspect they will make a couple of key changes).

It will be interesting to see whether Farrell comes in at 10 or 12. Slade's distribution at 12 struggled a bit but he also did some good things.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

You summed it up. He does the right things just lacks impact. A lot of impact. Struggles to given get metres against backs. I think he'd be better with a full-preseason under his belt in the gym.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
His running game is certainly the least important aspect of what he is being selected to do.

Certainly if that was the primary need from him (or even an important aspect of why he was selected) then McCalman (or someone else) would be starting in his place.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
His running game is certainly the least important aspect of what he is being selected to do.

Certainly if that was the primary need from him (or even an important aspect of why he was selected) then McCalman (or someone else) would be starting in his place.

I agree with this, although it was Dempsey's running game that made him stand out so much and leapfrog Hanigan.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Our scrum will be targeted.

Thought Sio was a bit lucky last week not to get pinged a few more times. Other than that he had a good game.

We better play our best against the Dodgers.

Tough venue, tough opposition, the Eddie factor as well (AND no Folau)

Scary scenario

Status
Not open for further replies.