• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

England v NZ & Aust 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Nearly worth playing Neville at 6 until Marsh gets more experience. Top scored in the tour game so he can play and is taking lots of wickets.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Nearly worth playing Neville at 6 until Marsh gets more experience. Top scored in the tour game so he can play and is taking lots of wickets.
Jeez he (Neville) looked terrible against Ali last night though, even before the soft dismissal. I reckon when we come up against even a semi-decent spinner he will have problems.

Smith going big has papered over so many cracks in the last couple of years.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Australia all out 481 - great score after being sent in, England 8/107 at stumps - clearly it was their turn to collapse or maybe being up 3-1 has affected their intensity. Either way, a good bowling performance:
M Marsh 3/18
Siddle 2/18
Lyon 2/32
Johnston 1/21

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Bit of credit should go to Voges and Starc.

They did well to hang around with Smith and ensure he wasn't left to carry the innings with the tail once England got through Clarke and Marsh. Starc in particular was the main contributor to the partnership and played exceptionally well I thought.

Voges proved again that his initial call-up and 5th test retention was justified.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Not at all.

Had he made a start or a small score the knives would have been out about how he should never have been selected for this test and was never a test cricketer.

Had he made 150 it still wouldn't have been enough to please his critics.

I thought he played well and deserves credit for the knock. There were better players who scored less on that pitch.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Not at all.

Had he made a start or a small score the knives would have been out about how he should never have been selected for this test and was never a test cricketer.

Had he made 150 it still wouldn't have been enough to please his critics.

I thought he played well and deserves credit for the knock. There were better players who scored less on that pitch.

See post #579, where I gave him the credit he deserved.

He had to be selected for this test as there is no youthful replacement in the squad who would have benefitted from the experience.

It doesn't alter the fact that he should not have been selected for the squad in the first place and his performance on the tour has in no way justified the original selection.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
England's opening partnerships this series
7, 17, 0, 12, 19, 11, 32, 30, 19

Funny old game isn't it. We're probably going to collectively have around about a 3-4 run better average than the English throughout the series, barring something miraculous here, but the impression is we've been comprehensively outplayed.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It's certainly been a series of wild swings in form by both teams. Unfortunately we've just had a couple more of the bad ones than they have.

I was just remarking the same. None of the games have been even remotely close and if we'd managed to post a combined 200 more in our first innings at Edgbaston and Trent Bridge we might still be playing for the Ashes in this test. It's been very disappointing.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
England 6/203 at stumps. Still another 130 runs to make us bat again. You'd have to think that barring rain of biblical proportions we will win this test.

Part of me wants to win by an innings and part of me would like to go in again chasing 20 or 30 runs so that Rogers or Clarke could hit the winning run.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
I wonder if Warne thinks you should bowl at tail enders the same way you bowl at batsmen?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.