• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

England v NZ & Aust 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
good runs for sure, but at 7 wickets down after winning the toss, we can be reasonably happy. Quick wickets early on day 2 and then bat and bat and bat. Hopefully a Warner classic for Braveheart and his mates.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah honours even after day 1. Looking like a great series. Root was effortless, he was great to watch. Bowlers showed enough to think that if they click for even an hour they could decimate the Poms.

England top order looked fragile, but their middle order (Bell-Stokes-Buttler) looked very handy.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Honours very much even for mine, though I reckon we would have been in a very strong positions had Haddin taken that catch. I still can't believe he dropped it. Anyway...

That pitch looks dead as already so we'll have throw everything at the England tail this morning to keep the total down.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'm not so sure QH. 7 wickets going on day 1. The wicket will probably only deteriorate as the match goes on.

The benchmark used to be if you batted first and were 300 or more by stumps on the first day, you shouldn't really lose the match. As you say, much depends on how much the wicket deteriorates - although temperatures in Cardiff aren't forecast to get much above 20 for the rest of the match.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The tail put on 90 runs in just over an hour this morning. Anderson is such a goose playing a shot like that on this sort of pitch. Potentially threw away another 20 or 30 runs. Notwithstanding, I can't recall an England side ever scoring this quickly in test cricket - 430 runs in 3 and a half sessions.

Let's see what we can do.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Felt for Rogers, he deserved the ton. 5 runs short is agonisingly close.

We're on the ropes now our big strike power is gone. Up to the experience in the middle order to resurrect our total from 3/207. One more wicket and they get into Watson, Haddin and our long tail.

Next two or three sessions will go a long way to determining who goes up 1-0.

Edit: Clarke gone. 4/207.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
England slightly ahead in my book. Australia need a good first session to stay in the game tomorrow.

Great day at the cricket today. The crowd at Sophia Gardens love a bit of banter.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

T

Train Without a Station

BH you weren't the pasty bloke with the shit rig and his shirt off right in front of the camera between sessions were you?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
England well in front. If Aus were in their position i would be confident they would go on to win.

It is time for Watson to stand up.

Agree 5/264 puts us behind. Unfortunately the usual batting frailities were exposed once Smith failed. Some really poor shots in those dismissals.

We need a century from Watson and good contributions from Haddin and Johnston to get the match back to even. We could do with Mitch Marsh couldn't we?:)

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Well if Watto can make runs, QH, then the decision of the selectors would be vindicated. He's doing OK so far.

I'm a little bit more optimistic. Pitch looks good for batting and there's no reason our last 5 wickets can't get us at least within 50 of the Poms. Obviously they have their noses in front, but one good session could turn the tide back in our favour.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Well if Watto can make runs, QH, then the decision of the selectors would be vindicated. He's doing OK so far.

I'm a little bit more optimistic. Pitch looks good for batting and there's no reason our last 5 wickets can't get us at least within 50 of the Poms. Obviously they have their noses in front, but one good session could turn the tide back in our favour.

I hope he makes plenty - selection issues aside, he's in the team and he's still a very good cricketer.

Status
Not open for further replies.