• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

England v NZ & Aust 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
412 is a big 4th innings target anywhere. If England bowl like they did in the first innings we'll have our work cut out. If we win this it will be one for the ages.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
412 is a big 4th innings target anywhere. If England bowl like they did in the first innings we'll have our work cut out. If we win this it will be one for the ages.
Sure would be. Would be the third highest chase in history. Unfortunately I think we have <5% chance of getting there.

Just had a look at the odds and England are only at 1.50. Seems crazily pessimistic

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Can't see us getting the runs, though I thought we'd be chasing a lot more. Again though if we bowl better on day one and hung on to Root when on nought we'd be chasing a lot less. We've made things hard for ourselves.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
TBF I thought Watto was a tad unlucky to be given but them's the breaks, 4x Aus batsmen get to 30 & don't go on so one has to cop the shite & currently that's Watson

It's the bigger trend and not unlucky when a review confirms the decision. Yet another start, yet another lbw, yet another review asked for that is incorrect. Anderson and Broad are the two most successful bowlers in tests at dismissing him. He also hasn't taken a wicket in either innings.

Big concern is Starc's injury as it seems unlikely he will be fronting up for the second test. Fair drop in quality to Cummins and Siddle.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
Unlikely to get the runs but with two days to play time will not be a factor. Australia needs to bat like it's the first innings and see where that takes them. If they get through two sessions without the loss of more than three they could well be half way there on this small ground. A little pressure on the poms might make bowling look a little less easy.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Australia needs to bat for around 4 sessions to save the match I think. All the locals think there will be a reasonable amount of rain in the next two days.

As others have said, it's almost certainly too many runs to chase. There's a reason why scores greater than 300 are incredibly hard to chase in the 4th innings.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
We're fucked. Not expecting anything out of our middle order but another collapse, with another stark reminder of why Watson sucks a pile of steaming cocks in yet another concrete-shoes-LBW decision.

Time to get rid of him. Marsh is a better hitter and better bowler.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Our best hopes at this stage are the rain and the natural conservatism of England cricket teams. Having said that, I can't see anything other than an England win here.

Forecast for (old) South Wales is; overcast with sunny breaks on Saturday (i.e. great conditions for seam bowling) and overcast with a chance of showers on Sunday (still pretty good to bowl in). Seems like any rain will come too late.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcjszevgx

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Time to get rid of him. Marsh is a better hitter and better bowler.

No doubt M Marsh should have been picked for this test, not only is he in top form, but this is an ageing team that needs to bring in younger players.

Watson has a habit of producing a big score when he's about to be dropped, can he save us with a double century?;)

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
One thing that England innings showed is that it is still a very good wicket to bat on. Outfield is quick and the only real danger is the new ball. We're going to need all the experience of Clarke, Voges and Rogers to drag us out of this one, Warner and Smith will also need to be at their best. Unfortunately I've lost all faith in Watson and Haddin.

Our boys are used to the winning feeling against these blokes. We have to hope England might get the jitters.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^^^Experience is good and will come in handy, but 5 of those you mention are between 34 and 37 years old. Throw in 33 year old Mitchell Johnston and we have 6 out of 11 over 33. If they were all at the height of their careers one could understand it, but that's not the case with some of these guys. There's either something wrong with the development of young cricketers in this country or the selectors are being overly conservative. The selection of Watson ahead of M Marsh reeks of an overly conservative selection policy.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I hesitate to put my boot into F U Watson, all right, for a nano-second. WTF has this bloke got over the selectors? Marsh wanted to drop him during the CWC and next match the duty-selector, Mark Waugh, puts him straight back in! ALL his faults have been/are there to see in the last three Australian matches here in Blighty: can't/won't bowl, can't bat, great big pad to use as a target for LBWs, painfully slow bowling effectively fucking up the Oz attack when it needed to rev up with a bit of urgency. The one thing I can't forgive him for is his weak dismissal first thing on day 3 precipitating a run of wickets through the lower order by the Pommy bowlers. IIRC this happened a coupla tests ago when India (?) swept through the bunnies after Watson caved in.

Apart from his five-minute-overs, let's look at Shane's bowling figures: 8 overs yielding 0/24 in the first innings followed by 5 overs and 0/23 in the second. Crucially, apart from not taking a wicket in either innings there were NO MAIDEN OVERS! Two things: Lehmann's always declared Watson has to be able to bowl to get a guernsey, and, the old adage an all-rounder SHOULD be able to hold his spot as either a batsman or a bowler to justify his selection. On both these grounds Watson's palpably failed. In my book that occurred quite some time go.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Mate of mine forwarded this. Watto in action.
uploadfromtaptalk1436611612804.jpg

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
With Rogers back in the shed it's up to Australia's two best batsmen to give this total a shake.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^^We still have the inate conservatism of England on our side. FFS, they're defending 412 and they have 2 slips:confused:

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Lehmann's always declared Watson has to be able to bowl to get a guernsey, and, the old adage an all-rounder SHOULD be able to hold his spot as either a batsman or a bowler to justify his selection. On both these grounds Watson's palpably failed. In my book that occurred quite some time go.

The Watson selection in this match is not grounded in any logic at all. M Marsh is in blistering form on tour, we're told that SW has to do certain things to be selected - he doesn't really do any of them and they pick him anyway.

You could sort of understand it if both players were round about the same age, or SW was a young bloke coming through, but he's in his mid 30s and on the way down. If ever there was a time for generational change, it's now - and what do we do when faced with a 34 year old out of form and a 25 year old in form? We pick the 34 year old - go figure.

And while we're on it, I think that Adam Voges has been a fine cricketer over his career, but FFS we pick a 35 year old to make his debut in an already aging team.

Status
Not open for further replies.