• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

EOYT 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
It seems that the expectations on Henry Speight are huge.

A lot of pressure on debut. he's on a floggin' to nothing unless he belts blokes, scroes a heap of tries blah blah.

I think he should be given some space - it won't happen as WE are always looking to the "next best thing"

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

A lot of pressure on debut. he's on a floggin' to nothing unless he belts blokes, scroes a heap of tries blah blah.

I think he should be given some space - it won't happen as WE are always looking to the "next best thing"

But the expectations are big because he's been of Wallaby quality for several years but has only recently been available for selection.

If he'd been available the whole time he'd have probably debuted in 2012 and the expectations on him would have been much lower then.

T

Train Without a Station

He's clearly our best option. Other inferior super rugby players got their shot and haven't cemented it.

But don't worry Scrubber, Australian fans will have him on the scrap heap soon enough.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
TWAS - I fucking hope not. However we must be the most unforgiving supporters in the world.

The bloke is a freak, one well needed. Hopefully he will deliver from Game 1

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I'm always going be a Speight fan. But he needs the run against the barbarians to shake the rust off then maybe off the bench, 20 to go. Then the start.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Unfortunately resting players is difficult. We say the Barbarians game doesn't matter so much and it may well be true. Unfortunately if the rest of the country just hears on the news that the Wallabies lost again and snigger about how much of a basket case the code is.

It's also the only game that Cheika gets before a major test match.........

I'm certain he'll be running out what he perceives as his best starting XV.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Vs the Baabaa's I would rest the ones that really really need it and give opportunities to the ones that have probably earned them. Fortunately those things match up nicely across a number of positions

1. Robbo
2. Fainga'a or Hanson
3. Alexander
4. Horwill (c)
5. Carter
6. Higgers
7. McMahon
8. McCalman
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Tomane
12. Lilo
13. TK
14. Speight
15. Folau

16. Fainga'a or Hanson
17. Falkner
18. Kepu
19. Skelton
20. Hooper
21. Phipps
22. Foley
23. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

Then you make decisions for the first game if anyone really puts their hand up while still retaining most of the formula that went well vs the AB's

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Chieka has his ways .

That was a good post before BBE.

He does have his ways indeed.

Last November he was training the Tahs pre-season. The Wallabies and some crocked players weren't back yet and there were a lot of hopefuls invited to train with the squad for opposed training.

They were doing this exercise and stuffing up because of poor concentration.

He stopped the practice and said something like this:

"If you don't f***g concentrate now, you're not going to concentrate in a f***g game and we're going to f***g lose; so f***g concentrate".

He walked away and then came back.

"And you know what? Who's going to get the f***g blame? The poor f***g coach; and that's me".

And you know what you lot will do? You'll probably ask for a f***g raise."

The young blokes who didn't know him looked at each other with eyes like poached eggs; but the players from the 2013 season knew it was just his method of lifting them.

Yeah, Cheika has his ways alright.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I'd be dropping Folau for Baa Baas. Since his meteoric rise we havent really needed a replacement 15, but maybe have a few smokeys in there just in case he goes down. Im thinking either AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Foley with QC (Quade Cooper) at 10. Even Lilo with To'omua at 12 to work on the QC (Quade Cooper) To'omua combo that proved so effective last eoyt

I mulled over the fullback for a short while yesterday, but also reckon that Folau could do with a run in a Barbarian type game.

A few weeks ago Beale would have been a replacement 15, so a few weeks can be a long time in rugby. Get Folau in there. Bagging a try or two would do him some good.

IMO there's no need to force position switching in the Barbarian game. Should the coach stuff Foley around on a whim by moving him to fullback at the beginning of the tour? That's madness. Let him prepare at 10.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'd run the two teams as opposed sessions for the first two weeks. With this team being the likely (?) test team for Wales:

15 Israel Folau
14 Henry Speight
13 Tevita Kuridrani
12 Christian Leali'ifano
11 Adam Ashley-Cooper
10 Bernard Foley
9 Nick Phipps
8 Ben McCalman
7 Michael Hooper (c)
6 Scott Higginbotham
5 Sam Carter
4 Rob Simmons
3 Sekope Kepu
2 Saia Fainga’a

1 James Slipper

So I'd run against them (and the baabaas) this:

15 Tom English
14 Joe Tomane
13 Kyle Godwin
12 Matt To'omua
11 Rob Horne
10 Quade Cooper
9 Will Genia
8 Sean McMahon
7 Matt Hodgson
6 Luke Jones
5 James Horwill
4 Will Skelton
3 Ben Alexander
2 James Hanson

1 Benn Robinson

with Faulkner, Mann-Rea and White on the bench.

I don't think this will happen, but it's what I would do!

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
They're not even Wallaby eligible yet as far as I know.

Agree with most of your points, forgot about Sio. I think Ruan is slightly better than Laurie Weeks though.

In terms of eligibility, I'm fairly certain they'd be fine. They've essentially been living in Australia since they were 15, went to high school in Qld.

El

Bob McCowan (2)
We lost the game to England last EOYT because of Genia's shit box kick, off our line, that was subsequently charged down and the Pommies got 7 points. The game totally changed at that point.

I think we are now not that stupid (I hope)

Nick white still is

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
I'd run the two teams as opposed sessions for the first two weeks. With this team being the likely (?) test team for Wales:

15 Israel Folau
14 Henry Speight
13 Tevita Kuridrani
12 Christian Leali'ifano
11 Adam Ashley-Cooper
10 Bernard Foley
9 Nick Phipps
8 Ben McCalman
7 Michael Hooper (c)
6 Scott Higginbotham
5 Sam Carter
4 Rob Simmons
3 Sekope Kepu
2 Saia Fainga’a

1 James Slipper

I like your Test team RR, just don't think Speight can be selected so quickly in the team (fitness reasons).
It's probably too soon for Luke Jones, but Fardy's injury opens up a great opportunity for him too at No 6.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)

If he needs space then an end of year tour is the perfect place to make his debut. Media coverage, TV ratings, interest from the general public etc for these test matches are always relatively minimal

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
If he needs space then an end of year tour is the perfect place to make his debut. Media coverage, TV ratings, interest from the general public etc for these test matches are always relatively minimal

I get what you are trying to say, just not sure I agree. I think the pressure will be on matter where you play your first test. A few bad games will be just as bad for your career whether its Aus, SA or UK. Cheika will be deciding his future and I doubt his opinion is swayed by the media or public perception of his performance. And if Speight is concerned about those things he may not be ready.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I get what you are trying to say, just not sure I agree. I think the pressure will be on matter where you play your first test. A few bad games will be just as bad for your career whether its Aus, SA or UK. Cheika will be deciding his future and I doubt his opinion is swayed by the media or public perception of his performance. And if Speight is concerned about those things he may not be ready.

Best to wait until the Bledisloe Cup or World Cup next year then.....;)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Gill is healthy again. He's been named to start for Brisbane City tomorrow night.

My guess is that McMahon got the nod because he's viewed as a 6 or 7, not just a 7 which they already had two of.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Gill can play 6 better than McMahon and he's already played that in Tests. Lions 2nd Test anyone? Hand of Gill.

Status
Not open for further replies.