• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

EPS abolished?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sorry if I've already missed the news.............

But the ARU has abolished the 5 player EPS in Super Rugby:

But Larkham is juggling a salary cap and the ARU's decision to abolish its funding for a five-man extended player squad system. This is despite the $40,000 contract program producing Wallabies Scott Fardy, Scott Sio and Jesse Mogg.

The Brumbies have already used 34 different players this season. But when the ARU stops this funding Larkham's squad will be limited to 32 or 33 players.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/act-brumbies-resign-michael-dowsett-and-plan-to-scour-nrc-for-recruits-20140703-zstru.html#ixzz36QJ3G666

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yeah. Was wondering what was going on. Rebels are up to 32 contracted players but eps traditionally not meant to be signed until September.

I guess the ARU are funding them for the rebels anyway.

This needs some clarity around it.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I suppose in time the NRC will remove the need for the EPS, but it seems a bit premature to abolish it before it's better established. That said if they are redirecting the money to the NRC $200,000 will go a fair way, and they will still in effect be spending it on player development.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Didn't they forecast the NRC to run at about a loss of $1m in the first year?

There's 5x $200k to put towards it.

Shame the EPS is going. It will be interesting to see how clubs work around this. Sounds like it will give more of an advantage to the Tahs, Reds and Brumbies who have better local players around for their wider training squads.

Although based on the JWC, the Force have several players who would have probably been EPS who should be around for them.

T

Train Without a Station

BH, it should be noted that teams have still been able to give "Supplementary Contracts" through some means. Steve Faulau at the Rebels was an example of this. I'm not sure if this is based on injury replacements or not.

I guess the NRC goes a long way to identifying talent, and therefore there is less risk in these supplementary contracts in cases of injury.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Didn't they forecast the NRC to run at about a loss of $1m in the first year?

There's 5x $200k to put towards it.

Shame the EPS is going. It will be interesting to see how clubs work around this. Sounds like it will give more of an advantage to the Tahs, Reds and Brumbies who have better local players around for their wider training squads.

Although based on the JWC, the Force have several players who would have probably been EPS who should be around for them.

I think it's $40k a team or $200k all up, not as good, but still a decent amount of money.

With the EPS gone ideally the squad limits would be expanded to 35 or so with the appropriate salary cap increase, but with most of the teams struggling financially it's probably not something they can do atm.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
The force have there own academy (WTG) which where players like Ollie Hoskins and Turner have progressed through this year and Dillyn Leyds is playing this week also the likes of Lacey who was in the jwc it's a shame but I think we will survive without it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think it's $40k a team or $200k all up, not as good, but still a decent amount of money.

With the EPS gone ideally the squad limits would be expanded to 35 or so with the appropriate salary cap increase, but with most of the teams struggling financially it's probably not something they can do atm.

I thought the EPS was 5x $40k contracts per team.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The standard rookie contract for an Aust franchise is $80k isn't it?

If so, while $40k won't go too far in some cities, landing a EPS (or WTG) contract or whatever replaces it isn't too bad a gig, as far as apprenticeship wages go.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm not sure how we can go back to reduced squad sizes when most teams seem to be going through at least 35 players each year?

T

Train Without a Station

Players outside the squad get called up. Thought that was pretty simple Slim. It already happens. Just tightens your initial selection range.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Players outside the squad get called up. Thought that was pretty simple Slim. It already happens. Just tightens your initial selection range.

Obviously, but at the moment teams are already calling up players outside the 35 and on top of that there are more players in wider training squads...........

It just seems like a potential backwards step considering the success of many players introduced through the EPS system...........

T

Train Without a Station

But it doesn't really change anything. Those players would still be introduced through a wider training squad. The only thing it really changes, is removes the ability of smaller unions to pick off fringe players like Sean McMahon with an EPS contract. Either they have to offer them a full one or look internally.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
But it doesn't really change anything. Those players would still be introduced through a wider training squad. The only thing it really changes, is removes the ability of smaller unions to pick off fringe players like Sean McMahon with an EPS contract. Either they have to offer them a full one or look internally.
Melb signed Foketi this year with a contract that was neither a full contract,nor an EPS.
So I'm not sure whether prescribed numbers have any meaning at all.
Or more to the point,whether the changes will impact any franchises in any way.d

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yes, I can't see this as anything other than a backward step. Who sets the squad sizes anyway? ARU or SANZAR? I assume it's the ARU much like the salary cap that is unique to us.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Maybe the idea is that you are essentially signing two EPS instead of five but they'll be higher value contracts and the NRC will put more people up into that gap between the Super Rugby squad and first grade rugby.

Maybe it's a slight backwards step losing three EPS spots but overall a move forward with the NRC.

Presumably if they had the money, we'd be adding the NRC and retaining the EPS.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Pretty sure the system was $200k for the EPS. EPS was to include up to 5 players. How the $200k was to be distributed across those players was up to the franchises.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Status
Not open for further replies.