• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Eye gouge incident- Rebels v Force 57m 12sec

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
In todays game I think there was a gouge on Charles by Rodney Blake (I am pretty sure it was Blake) at 57.12 into the game. The scrum had broken up and there was a bit of a scuffle. Charles got pushed away from the scuffle but when he returned he had fingers run over his face.

A few minutes later he was recieving treatment to his face/eyes.

I replayed it a few times, and if Adam Byrnes got 10 weeks then this deserves 100, it looked quite deliberate to me, he was not palming his face away, it was an attack on his eyes.

There was a white card issued for a punch being thrown in the same scuffle

Did anyone else notice this incident? What do you think will happen?

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Yeah I just watched it again. It was almost like he was just trying to piss him off. However any attack around that area and you deserve what you get. This could be interesting.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337510142.943586.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337510160.517642.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337510184.349094.jpg

Http://www.youtube.com/shiggins316

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Can't see a gouge, maybe a bit of an open handed rake? But the way Rugby has had to make the eyes a sacred area, he could still be in alot of trouble

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Attacking the face. He should be gone. End of and in any event CHarles had treatment for an eye injury straight after. SO we have intentional facial contact and an eye injury, whether a gouge was intentional or not is irrelevant after the intentional face contact.

However we are talking about the SANZAR lottery here so its anybody's guess.

Intersting that Growden suggested that an incident like this was in the offing in his SMH article. specifically indicating that the front row was where it would take place.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Then again, this will probably be the only place it will be reported and Blake will never be cited. Isn't the SANZAR lottery fun:)

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
So if nothing was reported by on the field officials is it now up to the Force to get this checked out?

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Don't they have a citing commissioner in super rugby with the power to report these incidents independently of the teams involved?

Either way there's no legitimate reason for any rugby player to make contact with the face of another player with an open hand. Tuilagi's fist making contact with Ashton's face on the other hand is A-OK.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I wonder what was said to make Blake go off like that? Sure he is huge and can look mean but I have always thought he was a bit on the soft side. To me he always fit the looks like tarzan plays like jane kind of player.

Usually there is only one thing that makes people lose it like this out of character, and it usually seems to involve people of different skin tones. I hope this is not the case here.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
I wonder what was said to make Blake go off like that? Sure he is huge and can look mean but I have always thought he was a bit on the soft side. To me he always fit the looks like tarzan plays like jane kind of player.

Usually there is only one thing that makes people lose it like this out of character, and it usually seems to involve people of different skin tones. I hope this is not the case here.

I don't think so boxy. I also don't think he is intending to do anymore then just piss him off. Looks like nothing has happened. Maybe Charlse mentioned that there was no rake?

Http://www.youtube.com/shiggins316

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)
I can't view the video at the moment, but those pictures show a hand pulling someones head back, with contact to the face and eye area. I wouldn't conclude this was intentional attack on the eyes, or even an accidental rake, based on the pics. Could be different in the video though.

There was another incident in the game though, that I'm hoping someone might have a snippet or pics of. Michael Lipman was the recipient of shoulder barge, and also a head connecting with his jaw in the same incident. He looked pretty dazed from it. It occurred some time in the second half, as he was already all bloodied up. I haven't seen anything mentioned, but at the time it looked quite severe and I expected a citing. Anyone got a clip?

Status
Not open for further replies.