• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Fantasy Super Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
There will be a G&GR-ARU Fantasy competition and for those of you who are interested in having two going at once, we'll have the Fox Sports competition going as well.

Remember that only the Cheetahs, Bulls, Sharks and Lions are playing in Round 1.

Here's the code for the Fox Sports league: 143-3340

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The Seth Efricans are starting a week early, so the first team will have to be selected from those four franchises playing only, with Oz and NZ players on the bench so that they can take over next week. I assume that there will be extra changes allowed for week two to compensate but gaggers will need to be wary of who they put on the bench given that they won't allow wholesale changes and you'll not want to use your wildcard in week two.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Alrighty, then I guess a better team would be:

Oosthuizen, Beast (O. Franks)
Strauss (Moore)
Etzebeth, Cariza (S. Whitelock)
Labuschagne, Engelbrecht, (Gill)
van Zyl (White)
Lambie (Foley)
Serfontein, de Villiers (Saili)
le Roux, Taute, Mvovo (Smith)

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Depends if you can afford that, a lot of those players won't be cheap. Strauss and Moore at hooker this early may be overkill in particular.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'm too patriotic. Always start by only picking Aussies. Doesn't serve me too well but I still do it.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm too patriotic. Always start by only picking Aussies. Doesn't serve me too well but I still do it.

That worked OK last year when Australians started first, but you'll score zero total points for round one if you do it this year.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Remember with the 2013 Lions break, if you didn't keep your wildcard you had to go without a player in one of the weeks.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Remember with the 2013 Lions break, if you didn't keep your wildcard you had to go without a player in one of the weeks.

I could probably figure it out if I sat down for an hour with the draw, but do you know if the same issue is likely this year? Last year, after a disastrous start, I used my wildcard early and lived to regret it.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
No sudden switches between only RSA to no RSA, fortunately. So you can just have a lot of Aus and NZ players the round before and easily switch into it.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I started in the top 10 world wide last year. Then it went down hill although I still finished fairly high up.

Here's my tips:

I'll wait to see if they do any change to the points structure before I pick my teams again. That said, Folau would be a starter in pretty much every team unless Cheika moves him to the centres. I would choose either strauss or moore and then the cheapest starting hooker on your bench as coverage, either one of those two (baring injuries) will serve you well for most of the season. The rest is just personal preference really, I like to include inside backs who kick for goal for consistent points and then I'll change up my wingers and back rowers according to who is playing weaker teams. I also like pick my second rowers based on runs and tackle busts from the previous season as you tend to get more points from them then more line-out proficient. Try to also stay away from penalty magnets as cards are a real shot in the nuts points wise.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
No sudden switches between only RSA to no RSA, fortunately. So you can just have a lot of Aus and NZ players the round before and easily switch into it.

But you will have to dump SA players from your team after round 16 and then pick them up again in round 18. Depending on how many you have got to transfer (incl. injuries and sackings) it will be crucial to know how many changes you get for week 17 and 18. Last year was really tough because the Wallaby squad got rested for a round so you had even more changes to do over the period.

At least you get the 4 week gap to think about it but by then its probably too late.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
But you will have to dump SA players from your team after round 16 and then pick them up again in round 18. ......... it will be crucial to know how many changes you get for week 17 and 18.

It should be 6 transfers, that was what they went with last year. Look at it like this: You have been stacking your team with good AUS and NZL players for a few weeks and right now it's about 1/3 of each. (AKA a max of 8 from RSA).
You come into the No RSA round with 6 transfers and 8 bench spots. Quick subs, your South Africans are on the bench and any straglers are just picked up with the transfers.
It's not nice, but it seems easy enough this year.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Hi Guys,

This year we're going to be teaming up with the ARU for our tipping and fantasy comps.

Why?

1 - there are going to be awesome prizes like half a corporate box for you and 4 mates at Bled 1 with travel and accom, also team signed Wallaby jerseys and more. The comps will be smaller so you have a better chance of winning something (vs none)

2 - GAGR will be getting some nice cross promotion out of it (and other bens, which you will see in time).

3- we're helping out the new ARU

I know this means change which no one ever likes, but why not
Give it a burl?

Matt

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Woohoo!!!!!

SO I am guessing this will be on their site or something?

Do you have a link?
Are there any rules we need to study?

And when are you going to tell me to shut up?

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Good old Fox Sports fantasy, giving Fardy the old switcheroo:
2013 Super Rugby, he's listed as a backrower, he plays lock.
2013 TRC, he's listed as a lock, he plays backrow.
2014 Super Rugby, he's listed as a backrower, will probably play lock.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I expect we'll all take part in the G&GR-ARU fantasy comp, but for any of you who want to take part in the Fox Sports fantasy competition too, here is the code for the league:

143-3340

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Hi Guys,

This year we're going to be teaming up with the ARU for our tipping and fantasy comps.

Why?

1 - there are going to be awesome prizes like half a corporate box for you and 4 mates at Bled 1 with travel and accom, also team signed Wallaby jerseys and more. The comps will be smaller so you have a better chance of winning something (vs none)

2 - GAGR will be getting some nice cross promotion out of it (and other bens, which you will see in time).

3- we're helping out the new ARU

I know this means change which no one ever likes, but why not
Give it a burl?

Matt

Any hints on what it will involve, Gagger?

Status
Not open for further replies.