• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Favourite rugby moments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Because I've indulged myself too much in being a salty old fluffybunny about the state of Australian rugby I'm going to cleanse some of my negative vibes with a collection of good memories.

Post youtube clips if you can find them. if not, just tell me about your good memories and moments from the sport we love.

Best game the underdog ever lost in:

Classic island haka:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rLjt1LDEfM

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I watched this one alone in the Ottawa airport, yelling like a mad man. So pure, so good.

As with most live sport and music, it's the crowd that elevates to another level.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Sitting in a pub in Bristol as the only Australian supporter watching us absolutely demolish England in their own World Cup. Simply glorious.

I can't embed videos for whatever reason so there is the link.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Sitting in a bar in Ios with two mates with one of those "I feel so unwell and I am so sleep deprived that everything is hilarious and I'm borderline euphoric" hangovers watching the Tahs sneak past the Crusaders in 2014 with a couple of mid-morning beers and a full English breakfst.

Absolutely fantastic performance and an all time rugby (and life) memory.

Otherwise yeah, England v Australia in the RWC 2015. What a pantsing.

Reactions: Tex

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
1/ Sitting in the bar of the Walkabout pub in Temple, London in 2007 watching the Brumbies beat the Crusaders.

2/ Watching the Highlanders beat the Brumbies at the House of Pain in 2003.

3/ At Stadium Australia for the Wallabies' RWC semi final win over NZ in 2003.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
1/ Sitting in the bar of the Walkabout pub in Temple, London in 2007 watching the Brumbies beat the Crusaders.

2/ Watching the Highlanders beat the Brumbies at the House of Pain in 2003.

3/ At Stadium Australia for the Wallabies' RWC semi final win over NZ in 2003.

I watched at the live site at Federation Square in Melbourne and (as a cocky dickhead in year 11) got into an argument with a big Kiwi Maori about a few of the calls. Ended the night with mates playing touch up and down Swanston St. Rugby was such a big deal in the public's eyes back then!

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Sitting in a pub in Bristol as the only Australian supporter watching us absolutely demolish England in their own World Cup. Simply glorious.

Glorious! I love the almost completely neutral pom commentators getting behind England with the Joseph try, only for Farrell to get himself carded and sink the ship shortly after.

Bernie

Allen Oxlade (6)
3. Watching in the middle of the night the 1991 RWC final.

2.Attending the 2003 RWC semi Australia V’s NZ. Scoring so called obstructed view tickets for $70 which was basically seats on the sideline with a bit of advertising hoarding in front.

1. Completely self indulgent this one but pop onto the Lane Cove Rugby Facebook page and check out the last play of the recent Sydney Suburban Rugby Noice Cup Grand Final. Down 21-19 and as mentioned it is the last play.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

bfb99651950cee65cbf6b6b231047700.jpg

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
1. Watching the 91 RWC final in the middle of the night pissed as

2. Same deal in 99

3. Being at that Bledisloe game in 2000

4. Being at that RWC semi in 2003

5. Being at all 3 Lions games in 2001

6. Winning the New England premiership in 91 from 4th on the ladder

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
My top 3 in attendance matches........

1994 - That George Gregan tackle.
2001 - Eales' last test........ that Kefu try.
2004 - The Brumbies first half try fest in the S12 GF.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
2011 Super Rugby final. I was a nervous wreck for the entire 2nd half.

2011 Tri Nations final @ Lang Park Aus v NZ. Still the best half of rugby I've ever seen the Wallabies play

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
1. Watching on TV the first AB series win in South Africa in 96 with my dad and brothers. Shouting and waking up the neighbours.

2. That Kirwan try at the 87 World Cup. Went outside after watching that and ran through my backyard evading apple and plum trees as if they were would be defenders.

3. Watching 2003 Bledisloe I in a Sydney bar full of Aussies and the stone cold silence with the ABs putting on 50.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
2003 RWC final. Watched it at Aussie legends in Dubai (when it still existed). Severely outnumbered by poms despite the name of the place. In spite of being outnumbered stood up and sang/yelled God save the German queen during their anthem. Then we lost. Then as it was only late arvo by then we went a lot of other places. Then my mate spewed in the back of the taxi. Still memorable.

Reactions: Tex

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Super Rugby final in 2011 had my neighbors showing up at my door in the middle of the night asking me to keep it down.

Rd 16 in 2013, Reds v Rebels at Suncorp was the first time I got to see the Reds play live, and they nearly bottled it!

Reds v. Lions was an incredibly fun night with a bunch of great people, will never forget that evening or the long day of drinking (and club rugby) that preceded it :)

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Beyond my own rugby tours which will forever be my most cherished memories (over my potential wedding and/or birth of first child).

Managed to get over to NZ in 2011 for the quarters and semis. Confidence riding high after tri-nations and Reds winning Super. Saw Aus beat SA in Wellington in the tightest game I've ever seen live, pretty euphoric scenes afterwards.

Very sobering the week later when we got drilled by the Darkness. Can still remember the walk of shame back to the hotel where it seriously felt like we were the only Aus supporters in the entire country. Everyone and his dog had a wise word to say to us, even including the Kiwi cops who couldn't help a dig. Admittedly we were head to toe in gold and green wearing furry wallaby ears.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
As a Melbournite who lived in Christchurch for 8 years, and is now married to a Cantabrian, the two Rebels victories over the Crusaders at home (2012, the first ever match between the two sides besides PS game), and then away (2015, Rebels first ever win outside Australia) are my favourites, and I was at both. Outstanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.