• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Federal ALP Opposition 2013-?

Status
Not open for further replies.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Coming from opposition to government has an interesting effect on politicians.
Immigration Minister Scott Morrison has gone from a cocky self assured rock thrower to seemingly weak as piss and become the butt of jokes.
Joe Hockey has gone from nice guy to a pretender tough guy.
What gives?

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
This is funny, embaresing and depressing all rolled into one.

You are correct in saying it is going to be a long three years for myself and I am sure many others out there in broader society.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I attended the Reds business breakfast yesterday where respected economist Peter Switzer was the lead speaker.

He was emphatic in his opinion that the change of government would lead to better economic conditions for this country on the back of improved business confidence. This confidence will mainly come from having a stable leadership that we didn't have under Labor.

Hopefully this government will not hurt the social or environmental side of the country too much, but I am concerned about some of them (Morrison being the top if that list).

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
B
I attended the Reds business breakfast yesterday where respected economist Peter Switzer was the lead speaker.

He was emphatic in his opinion that the change of government would lead to better economic conditions for this country on the back of improved business confidence. This confidence will mainly come from having a stable leadership that we didn't have under Labor.

Hopefully this government will not hurt the social or environmental side of the country too much, but I am concerned about some of them (Morrison being the top if that list).
but switzer works for sky and we all know who owns sky so I'm working on the basis that this scenario is just one of the self fulfilling prophecies they mentioned in HSC economics....something about cause and effect

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

I am not sure how long stable leadership will survive. Abbott has done well in these stakes but TBH, he has not had a tough ride. Labor's bullshit internals gave him an easy ride. In government I think he will find more scrutiny and I am not sure how well he will cope given the history of avoiding scrutiny he has shown. He can't hide forever and bloke is not short of ammunition that can be used against him. Turnbull is always in the background and for the benefit of the country, I hope he rolls him.

One issue I don't care for partisan politics and wish this or any other Government the best of luck with is Indigenous advancement. It is such a grey issue and has been a wound on this nation for far to long. It must start with mutual respect and an acknowledgement of the complexity of the issue. A massive mistake that governments of both sides of the political spectrum have made is to stereotype Aboriginal people as one. Though they have some common ground in belief, each clan group is different in it's own right. Their culture is highly specialized to their country and clan estates. An Indigenous community in the Western desert is never going to be the same as a community in Arnhem Land. They are different and have to be respected as different.

What worries me is the current government's attitude to environmental policy. They say that Australia is open for business. At $27 a ton and a future of a floating price, Indigenous people have been doing some pretty good and culturally appropriate business with carbon abatement. Cultural practice was being restored and successful joint programs between the CSIRO and traditional owners have been facilitating a transfer of knowledge across cultural boundaries. Studies have shown that getting indigenous people back onto country with purpose that satisfies both cultures has significant health and education benefits. White fellas have also started respecting that a race of people have survived on this continent before their arrival and that their methods have significant merit, rather than being disregarded as to hard because the knowledge is almost impossible to quantify under Western scientific practice.

This is my idea of reconciliation. I can't help thinking, where to from here?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

A big part of the increased economic confidence is placebo driven. Australians generally have a perception that interest rates are lower under Liberal governments and that they're more business friendly.

Confidence went up as expected without anything actually changing.

Confidence under the Labor government was lower than it should have been based on all the economic data available to us, particularly relative to the rest of the world.

Perceived stability in the government is one thing, but besides destroying their own popularity, the ALP leadership debacle didn't actually have any great effect on what was happening in the broader market.

I think given the same conditions, business confidence will always be higher with a Liberal government but not necessarily for any good reason.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
It is now 2014, happy new year.

This is the 30th Anniversary of the Tasmanian Dams Case. An immense piece of history for people passionate about environmental issues.

Next year will be the 30th Anniversary of the handing back of Ayres Rock to the traditional owners.

The point is that the Labor legacy extends far beyond the Rudd/Gillard era. It extends far beyond the historical moments I have mentioned above.

What I want from the ALP this year is them to carry the Labor legacy with pride and constantly remind the nation that they are the party that keeps Australia moving forward. I want labor to honor it's legacy and present the people a genuine vision for Australia's future.

The ALP can be its own worst enemy and history is is riddled with it's internal bullshit. Let's be honest and not polish over that. What history proves though is that when it is united and on song, Australia is at it's best.

I want climate change and Australia's productive future brought back into the spotlight. Anybody with a half a visionary brain can see the future link between the two.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
What I want from the ALP this year is them to carry the Labor legacy with pride and constantly remind the nation that they are the party that keeps Australia moving forward. I want labor to honor it's legacy and present the people a genuine vision for Australia's future.

I'd rather they performed in such a way that they did not need to tell us in order to remind us.
We've had that for the last 15 years.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
See, I don't share your faith in the voting public. I think people need reminding because the social standard is at a level where people have become so blindly ignorant of the greater scheme of things and live in their own selfish little worlds.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
See, I don't share your faith in the voting public. I think people need reminding because the social standard is at a level where people have become so blindly ignorant of the greater scheme of things and live in their own selfish little worlds.

I dont have that much faith in them.
The problem is no one's listening because they've heard it all before.
They should step back from the 24 hour news cycle and talk big picture stuff - say once a week for 3 years. Rise above the petty bullshit of the day to day minutiae of government - which they have limited capacity to do anything about anyway.
Its a good time to start a conversation with the electorate about same sex marriage, for instance. Put up a proposal now and let's see what happens. I doubt Abbott could meet them on it but if he did they would look like the one's leading the debate.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I agree what you have said above. Big picture stuff = climate change and the holistic nature of the response including greener economy and new industries supporting the clean energy sector.

I don't know where the gay marriage issue will end up. All I know is that both the leader and deputy leader are in favor of it. Fight for it for sure but don't treat the issue as a political football to create wedge poilitics.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I don't know where the gay marriage issue will end up. All I know is that both the leader and deputy leader are in favor of it. Fight for it for sure but don't treat the issue as a political football to create wedge poilitics.

Agree.
Marriage issue is easy though because the polls show the majority of ozzies support it. So you put together a package that says here's why its a good thing and talk about it without reference to those who oppose it.
Voila!
Climate change is more difficult because you first have to convince people its real and then you have the self interest you spoke of - "what will it cost me" - although with some thought even that can be argued arround:
Here's a New Year's resolution that pays: Give your power company the flick to find out how much your laziness has been worth to them. In my case, it was 17 per cent of the bill – roughly twice the carbon price impact.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/comment-and-analysis/putting-a-price-on-your-billpaying-laziness-20131231-303sp.html#ixzz2p8qpF0As

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I dont have that much faith in them.
The problem is no one's listening because they've heard it all before.
They should step back from the 24 hour news cycle and talk big picture stuff - say once a week for 3 years. Rise above the petty bullshit of the day to day minutiae of government - which they have limited capacity to do anything about anyway.
Its a good time to start a conversation with the electorate about same sex marriage, for instance. Put up a proposal now and let's see what happens. I doubt Abbott could meet them on it but if he did they would look like the one's leading the debate.

Unfortunately, I think the model established by the last opposition will prevail in the current parliament as well.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Things won't change because the voting public is shallow. Broader society is dumbing down and becoming more selfish. The average voter has become comparable to a bottom feeding catfish.

These politicians didn't fall into the parliament, we (not as individuals but as the voting public) put them there.

Status
Not open for further replies.