• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Federal Coalition Government 2013-?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Seeing as the election has concluded, it's appropriate to start a new thread.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
It has been a convention for a long time. If ALP vote down the Tax change unlike Libs did with Work Choices don't worry about mandates again.

If I were Libs it would go in memory bank and when the wheel turns I would do the same to the ALP. Forget double dissolution this is risky territory for opposition whose Green alliance has caused so much trouble.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't get the whole mandate claim.

Sure, the Coalition has a mandate in the HoR to introduce and pass legislation but they don't have one in the Senate. Why would the Senate ignore their duty as a house of oversight to just pass legislation because the Coalition has total control of the HoR?

The whole claim that the election victory provides a mandate from the Australian population to repeal the carbon tax, mining tax and introduce the paid parental leave scheme is a bit of an absurd argument. Surely you would need a Why? box at the bottom of ballot forms if you expected an election to provide a mandate on certain issues.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
On occasions Government actually do have a mandate.
A good example was the GST, both parties made that election a single issue.
But I agree with the premise that a coalition victory does not represent a mandate to introduce every single policy item.
Sort of like core promises in reverse,we voted for him because the other bloke was a fucking idiot,not because we wanted the mad monk to buy every boat in Indonesia etc etc.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Apparently Mirabella is out and Eden Monaro is still bellwether.

I think Mirabella is close to being gone but I don't believe they've got to postal/absentee votes yet. McGowan is currently just over 1,000 votes ahead so hopefully she holds on to that lead.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
The whole mandate thing is just rhetoric to disguise the fact that no one tells the complete truth when in comes to election campaigns, and that is they say "we will get rid of this or implement that". Where as the truth is we will try really really hard to get legislation through both Houses of Parliament and who knows what we'll end up with in the end.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
The seats of Barton and McEwan are going down to the wire also.

On Indi, McGowan seemed confident on the radio last night and has been tweeting this morning about what looks like a likely victory.

It won't really make any difference in the end given the makeup of the House, likewise with Bandt and Katter.

If Mirabella goes it just makes Abbott's job a little easier, one less Shadow Minister he doesn't have to promote - he's got a couple to 'sack' given the legislative bounds he has to operate under in Government.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My tinfoil hat thinking of what might eventuate under the new senate is that the carbon tax will get repealed and then the legislation for the direct action plan will get blocked.

The Family First guy is a climate change skeptic.
David Leyonhjelm is a libertarian who wants lower taxes and smaller government.
John Madigan is a climate change skeptic.
Who knows about Glenn Lazarus and Jacquie Lambie but I'd guess that PUP will be both anti carbon tax and rather skeptical about climate change.

Who knows about the motoring enthusiast and the sports guy?

If that happens, I wonder what the public perception will be? I'd guess that zero action on climate will quickly make it a very big issue for plenty of the population.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
WTF, The comentators in the ITM cup game from Wellington vs the Taniwhas from Whangerei have just said that "the first Lady of Australia" is from Wainuiomatter becaues not only has someone come off the pine for the Wellington from the Wainuiomatter club but they are still celebrating one of them being the First Lady of Australia.

Is Mrs Rabbit from NZ?

Bloody hell, a Sydney Uni player marries a NZer to improve our rugby gene pool and all they produce is future Wallaroos.

We are going to need to cross breed those Rabbit Girls into some PI stock and then wait 20 years for this to strategy to work for the Wobs.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Correct. Mrs Abbot is a NZ'r.

I believe the LNP have a mandate on the carbon and mining tax. I don't agree with abolishment of the Carbon Tax, but accept the LNP went to the polls with it as a key policy and won in such an emphatic victory it should be respected.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
To ensure it is a house of review.
If the senate mirrored the lower house in terms of party representation.
There would be no need for the senate.
1/2 the senate is elected each cycle.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
IIWII, Some would say that there is no need for the senate anyway.

I understand the role of checks and balances that they perform, but it comes at one hell of a financial cost to the country.

Some states have gone unicarmeral and the sun still rises in the East, wombats are not sleeping with ducks.

What does the Senate really do, that some decent career public servants from the Senior Executive Service couldn't do at a fraction of the cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.