• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Federal Coalition Government 2013-?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
July unemployment at 6.4%. The highest since 2002.

In less than a year of the LNP being in government the unemployment rate has risen from 5.7% to 6.4%.

Quite amazing.

Participation rates haven't changed.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
Doesn't this refer to the period before the last election?

It does, but it also says this:

"Immigration Department insiders have warned that investigation failures are set to worsen with the merger of the Immigration and Customs departments into a ''border force'' in 2015 because of corresponding budget cuts, and uncertainty as the new agency ''finds its feet''."

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
July unemployment at 6.4%. The highest since 2002.

In less than a year of the LNP being in government the unemployment rate has risen from 5.7% to 6.4%.

Quite amazing.

Participation rates haven't changed.
Finally, Labour's budget mismanagement chooks are coming home to roost.

:p

Serious question though, I read somewhere that the agency who reports this stuff recently changed their numbers and are including people who work less than a certain number of casual hours per week whereas until recently they were considered to actually have a job which they don't.

Reporting under labour was severely criticized for actually leaving out people who have a casual job but are still looking for a permanent one.

Either way I think these figures need to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Sorry to hark back to it, but this is a really good piece about the Le Lievre cartoon published by Fairfax and the Bill Leak cartoon published by The Australian.

http://www.crikey.com.au/2014/08/05...sm-of-anti-semitic-and-islamophobic-cartoons/

Very balanced and explains the issue well.

Good piece I agree. Issue is that Jews will always be more sensitive about anything that looks even remotely antisemitic than other people might think they should be.

It's only natural.

"is just as wrong when it happens to Muslims as to Jews. And yet in reference to Islam, it generally passes without comment."

Maybe in Australia but not in Europe I can tell you that.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
It does, but it also says this:

"Immigration Department insiders have warned that investigation failures are set to worsen with the merger of the Immigration and Customs departments into a ''border force'' in 2015 because of corresponding budget cuts, and uncertainty as the new agency ''finds its feet''."

So no proof just an assumption.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Finally, Labour's budget mismanagement chooks are coming home to roost.

:p

Serious question though, I read somewhere that the agency who reports this stuff recently changed their numbers and are including people who work less than a certain number of casual hours per week whereas until recently they were considered to actually have a job which they don't.

Reporting under labour was severely criticized for actually leaving out people who have a casual job but are still looking for a permanent one.

Either way I think these figures need to be taken with a pinch of salt.

No. There have been no changes in the definitions used.The methodologies are all clearly stated on the ABS website and come from the international definitions.

Employed, underemployed, unemployed etc. are all reported by the Australian Bureau of Statistics which is a non-partisan organisation.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Latestproducts/F714CB617DE0D662CA2572C100244B9A?opendocument

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
True, the definitions for "employed" are based on a now outdated view of how employment and the economy operates, but they're archaic because they've been static for decades, not because Labor suddenly changed them.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
True, the definitions for "employed" are based on a now outdated view of how employment and the economy operates, but they're archaic because they've been static for decades, not because Labor suddenly changed them.

Keating did change the definition of full time unemployment when we was treasurer. He also placed dole age restricts to keeps kids at school and off the numbers.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Keating did change the definition of full time unemployment when we was treasurer. He also placed dole age restricts to keeps kids at school and off the numbers.

Not in terms of what the ABS uses. Their definitions and methodoligies are not even Australian specific.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
No. There have been no changes in the definitions used.The methodologies are all clearly stated on the ABS website and come from the international definitions.

Employed, underemployed, unemployed etc. are all reported by the Australian Bureau of Statistics which is a non-partisan organisation.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Latestproducts/F714CB617DE0D662CA2572C100244B9A?opendocument

Yes.

And those have been changed from what I understand. The tightened up the definition of "jobless" to actually means that - jobless.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yes.

And those have been changed from what I understand. The tightened up the definition of "jobless" to actually means that - jobless.

I'd be interested to see that if you can find it but until then I don't think that's the case.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
There was a lot about it in the Australian last year which probably means that you would call it bullshit. :)

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
What a surprise!

Who would have ever thought that the people we really should be stopping coming to the country are arriving by plane with falsified documents.

Many billions of dollars spent to punish and torture vulnerable refugees for the sake of political pointscoring whilst knowingly allowing anyone to fly in on commercial flights with falsified documents.

Chalk one up for "Team Australia".

Status
Not open for further replies.