• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Federal Coalition Government 2013-?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Just because you get some women to hang around you doesn't mean you're not a misogynist

and being able to spell misogynist does not entail knowing what it means, it seems

The defintion of misogyny is actually being updated to reflect the way it is often used today (and particularly in Gillard's speech).

Julia Gillard's fiery speech attacking misogyny has prompted Australia's Macquarie Dictionary to redefine the word from "hatred of women" to "entrenched prejudice against women"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ow-leads-to-dictionary-definition-change.html

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Australia and it's politicians are not well thought of overseas.

This is not my opinion but fact.

A sad state of affairs.

I hate to burst your bubble, but I doubt too many people overseas give the slightest thought to Australia's politics. Which country would you hold up as the paradigm of responsible politicians?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The defintion of misogyny is actually being updated to reflect the way it is often used today (and particularly in Gillard's speech).

Julia Gillard's fiery speech attacking misogyny has prompted Australia's Macquarie Dictionary to redefine the word from "hatred of women" to "entrenched prejudice against women"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ow-leads-to-dictionary-definition-change.html
Not just the Macquarie but the OED.

Screen Shot 2013-09-23 at 11.39.53 AM.png

In the 1989 edition it read:
Screen Shot 2013-09-23 at 11.48.37 AM.png

As the mainstream media pointed out on the weekend, however, and as they have done again today, the problem is with the number of women the coalition actually attracts as candidates.
Annabel Crabb discussed the reasons: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...ce-the-ugliest-of-juggles-20130921-2u6d2.html
Why would a woman anyone want to get involved in the never ending mudslinging, including calling someone something which, at the time, they were not?

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
I hate to burst your bubble, but I doubt too many people overseas give the slightest thought to Australia's politics. Which country would you hold up as the paradigm of responsible politicians?

Your comment "Which country would you hold up as the paradigm of responsible politicians?" is irrelevant. I didn't claim that any country's politicians are more responsible than ours.

As for "I hate to burst your bubble, but I doubt too many people overseas give the slightest thought to Australia's politics" you' be surprised. Australia's economic and political situation is watched overseas with interest.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Your comment "Which country would you hold up as the paradigm of responsible politicians?" is irrelevant. I didn't claim that any country's politicians are more responsible than ours.

As for "I hate to burst your bubble, but I doubt too many people overseas give the slightest thought to Australia's politics" you' be surprised. Australia's economic and political situation is watched overseas with interest.

But they're really not watching it that closely because for all intents and purposes Australia has political stability (ie no unrest that would warrant political upheaval or incivility) and the economy does not "create problems" if it was to fall over, go into meltdown. I would say that Australia is watched like a passing interest.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
There is a little matter of the GFC, or as the rest of the world calls it the Global Recession.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I understand boyo, but OZ didn't cause it or is at that heart of causing problems abroad because of actions here.

Yes Australia did some things to respond to when the GFC and credit crisis periods occurred, but by in large the '4 pillars' banking policy and the regulatory regime that surrounds it was the major safeguard. However as I understand it that is fairly unique to Australia because of a number of factors - population, politics, Australia's propensity for legislative regulation etc etc.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I understand boyo, but OZ didn't cause it or is at that heart of causing problems abroad because of actions here.

Yes Australia did some things to respond to when the GFC and credit crisis periods occurred, but by in large the '4 pillars' banking policy and the regulatory regime that surrounds it was the major safeguard. However as I understand it that is fairly unique to Australia because of a number of factors - population, politics, Australia's propensity for legislative regulation etc etc.

You can thank the Labor party for that one as well.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
You can thank the Labor party for that one as well.

If we want to get technical, the 4 pillars was a Costello change. Keating originally introduced a 6 institution regime in 1990. Then there was the infamous Wallis review in 96-97 that recommended the scrapping of the pillars policy - to allow greater competition and market entrants etc, but Costello just removed the 2 insurance companies and left the four banks.

It has been widely criticised and whilst it isn't perfect it still holds sway with both sides of politics and provides safeguards (through legislative powers to the Treasurer) against mergers of any of the 4 majors etc.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Which one hurts more, Brandis's head or his arse? That is one hell of a high horse for this arrogant tosser to fall from.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Just being handled in a more sensible fashion. No stupid promises or crazy borrowings to give people$900

Status
Not open for further replies.