• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Federal Election 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...st-bet-switch-to-turnbull-20130715-2q01y.html

Many of the comments from swinging voters indicate that they would vote for KR over TA, but MT over KR.

The third-last paragraph of the article is apposite.

It would indicate that personality is more important than policy for some people.

I think the personality of the leader plays a major role for a lot of voters. I think it explains a lot of why Julia Gillard was so unpopular. If you look at the policies that were implemented during her time as PM and the general state of the economy and society, the public opinion should have been nowhere near as critical of her as it was.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Yeah but she introduced the "carbon tax", and we all know that was a mistake now because the dear leader Kevin wants to remove it and he knows everything!

What we really need is MOAR DIRECT ACTION. If Obama supports it, it must be good. Just like those internet surveillance programs, we should introduce some of that as well.

And Malcom doesn't get off here. Why is he rolling out broadband to every street corner when he could save so much money rolling it out to the edge of each suburb, or the edge of each state! You could save billions of dollars and hardly alter the speed of downloads at the receivers end.

And last night on Q&A I notice Julie Bishop say the liberal government plan to build up a fiscal surplus to build up the national coffers for a time when that money is needed like in 2007 when the financial crisis happened. Oh wait, DON'T SAY THAT JULIE! We all know that governments need to keep making a surplus throughout a downturn in the business cycle, austerity is the answer. Labor wasted hundreds of billions of dollars for no good reason, stimulus doesn't work!

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I think the personality of the leader plays a major role for a lot of voters. I think it explains a lot of why Julia Gillard was so unpopular. If you look at the policies that were implemented during her time as PM and the general state of the economy and society, the public opinion should have been nowhere near as critical of her as it was.

There is quite a distinction between the policy,and then the implementation of that policy.She really was surrounded by incompetents.
Her repeated support of the alleged thief from the Central Coast also demonstrated that she lacked values.
My overall feeling of her Government was power for powers sake.
I literally stopped listening to anything she said.
it's only taken a week to remember what a dick K Rudd was/is.
We are not exactly spoiled for choice with our federal leaders are we?

Pusser

Larry Dwyer (12)
I'm planning on trying to meet the candidates in my seat before the election to pick the least embarrassing one. If both major party candidates are hacks I'll put them low on the preference list or simply make my vote invalid by writing "Berrak Obama" or something on it. :)

None of the above works for me. Should be an option on all ballots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There is quite a distinction between the policy,and then the implementation of that policy.She really was surrounded by incompetents.
Her repeated support of the alleged thief from the Central Coast also demonstrated that she lacked values.
My overall feeling of her Government was power for powers sake.
I literally stopped listening to anything she said.
it's only taken a week to remember what a dick K Rudd was/is.
We are not exactly spoiled for choice with our federal leaders are we?

I agree completely.

I guess my comparison would be Kevin Rudd. He is far more popular publicly but by all reports (and the reason he got knifed in the first place) he was impossible to work with and arguably failed miserably in most of the policy he tried to implement.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Remember a couple of points.
1. Can't change the carbon tax without recalling parliament. We have a suggested change after the next election if it gets through both houses if he wins.

2. 50/50 is based on the present settings of seats. He needs to win seats as he /Julia relied on independents to govern. Two of those will go home to coalition , Melbourne will go to ALP with Thompson and Slipper up for grabs.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
BOtA0xLCQAEIkSm.jpg

\

Looks like Abbott has secured the Growden vote.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
The Australian political landscape has certainly changed over the last several decades.

The Liberal Party has moved to the right, and they are liberal in name only. IMO TA is a "Tea Party" type of politician.

The ALP has also moved to the right.

The Greens Party is very left.

I worry about the National Party and their constituents. The Nats seem to be riding the coat-tails of the Libs. IMO they should stop the charade of being a separate party and join the Libs or form the LNP (as in Qld).

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Listening to Bowen at the press club today, I got the impression Labor is looking at the Hawke/Keating era and looking in that direction for reform. I like what they are saying but no way trust Mr need to be popular Rudd to have the balls to go in that direction.

I think Labor will get the seats needed to claim outright victory. They just seem to be building momentum nicely.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Listening to Bowen at the press club today, I got the impression Labor is looking at the Hawke/Keating era and looking in that direction for reform. I like what they are saying but no way trust Mr need to be popular Rudd to have the balls to go in that direction.

I think Labor will get the seats needed to claim outright victory. They just seem to be building momentum nicely.
I'd agree, except for this "Melbourne car leasing company becomes the first to lay off workers.".
It's a weird one - the mere announcement of the policy leads to lay offs? Seems implausible.
Not a good look for KRudd.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Australian political landscape has certainly changed over the last several decades.

The Liberal Party has moved to the right, and they are liberal in name only. IMO TA is a "Tea Party" type of politician.

The ALP has also moved to the right.

The Greens Party is very left.

I worry about the National Party and their constituents. The Nats seem to be riding the coat-tails of the Libs. IMO they should stop the charade of being a separate party and join the Libs or form the LNP (as in Qld).

Tea party? Have you seen TA's paid parental leave scheme, that is a polar opposite to anything a highly conservative party would ever entertain. Abbott is a pragmatist, he learned that from the most pragmatic PM Aussie had in 50 years in John Howard.

I don't doubt there are extreme elements in conservative politics - the QLD landslide definitely reared a few, but Abbott will not govern in such a manner

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Tea party? Have you seen TA's paid parental leave scheme, that is a polar opposite to anything a highly conservative party would ever entertain. Abbott is a pragmatist, he learned that from the most pragmatic PM Aussie had in 50 years in John Howard.

I don't doubt there are extreme elements in conservative politics - the QLD landslide definitely reared a few, but Abbott will not govern in such a manner

You could argue that his opposition to an ETS (a market-based mechanism) is the polar opposite to anything a highly conservative party would ever entertain.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Abbott is a horror. Talks as much bullshit as Rudd with about as much conviction as Rudd does also.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Abbott is a horror. Talks as much bullshit as Rudd with about as much conviction as Rudd does also.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Will this be the first election where the two main candidates have names that flow off the back of Mister in such a manner that their surnames change when said fast (Udd and Rabbit) as in Mister Udd, and Mista Rabbit?

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
I notice the tax execpt unions and their business activity will remain tax except. Also union officials will still have lease cars but face no tax.

Class warfare here.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I notice the tax execpt unions and their business activity will remain tax except. Also union officials will still have lease cars but face no tax.

Class warfare here.

Really?

A trade union is just one of many bodies that has tax exempt status because it is a not for profit entity which also provides for FBT benefits as a rebateable employer.

I would suggest that the number of people receiving a salary packaged car through a trade union would be miniscule relative to the total number of people employed by tax exempt bodies receiving cars.

I'm not sure why there should be significant or really any tax benefit for having a vehicle that isn't primarily for business use. In reality the FBT regime has been gradually changing for much of the last decade to reduce the benefits of salary packaging.

Status
Not open for further replies.