• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Federal Election 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
For failing to disclose the nature of the agreement under which they had been retained.
How does that justify the underperformance of the government and treasury in the matter of prediction and forecast?
More racing to the bottom?

Believe the bottom was reached a long time ago. The term you may be looking for may be tunneling.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
The Rudd government has spent nearly $3 million in six days on its asylum boats advertising blitz before a single ad was placed in the media of origin countries of refugees.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/3m-on-blitz-so-far-and-counting-20130726-2qq16.html#ixzz2aCoPQdc3

I suppose its justified on the basis that the real targets of the policy have seen it first
Both sides spend a shit load on advertising themselves while in power. Labor spend next to nothing compared to the last liberal government but it's still many times too many. If you're pushing a Liberal barrow you won't get too much traction from informed punters about the cost of advertising.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Believe the bottom was reached a long time ago. The term you may be looking for may be tunneling.

One could be forgiven for thinking that the bottom has been reached: tunnelling would suggest we're heading off horizontally, possibly in the wrong direction, but at least no further from the sunlight.
It doesn't feel like that.
Is there any issue on which either side is expressing some sort of unifying principle to explain their position?
Please provide a link if there is.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Both sides spend a shit load on advertising themselves while in power. Labor spend next to nothing compared to the last liberal government but it's still many times too many. If you're pushing a Liberal barrow you won't get too much traction from informed punters about the cost of advertising.

Thats in a week!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its not the first this government has spent on self promotion and that wasn't my point but your response makes it easy to see why they each play the same game.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
God I miss the Democrats!

FYI. Howard government spent 2 billion in eleven years on advertising. That's about 3.5 million a week.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/howards-2bn-splurge/2007/09/01/1188067438538.html

Depressing.
If what they're doing (or were doing) was so frigging wonderful why did it need to be advertised?
Alert but not alarmed? Im ******* alarmed.
Why dont the greens speak up on this - there might be more people interested in it than they think.
I can seem myself voting for the sex party - again: not that I got anything out of them last time!

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
For failing to disclose the nature of the agreement under which they had been retained.
How does that justify the underperformance of the government and treasury in the matter of prediction and forecast?
More racing to the bottom?

It doesn't give me confidence in their ability to get financial numbers correct.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It doesn't give me confidence in their ability to get financial numbers correct.

What? That they dishonestly retained an accountant to do something on a particular basis that rendered it arguably worthless?
Neither side is capable of getting their numbers correct because they're not interested in good government they're only interested in government.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

If you want to link that to the Coalitions line of poor implementation just remember back to the GST ads and the copyright breach of Joe Cocker's song.

As for those people in treasury. I am sure Hockey was more friendlier with them when Godwin Grech was on the payroll.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit.../sweaty-palms-are-showing-20130726-2qpmf.html

These comments caught my eye:-

"Regardless of what Rudd is doing or not doing, I have to agree with Hartcher. These were all WTF moments for me too? Strategic blunders."

"Yes, the alarm bells are certainly ringing in the LNP camp. And, so they should. We're hearing total rubbish from Abbott, Hockey, Bishop, Pyne et al on a daily basis now as they try to match the master politician Rudd. But, they're failing badly...I can't recall an opposition looking so second rate. Perhaps, third rate.
If Rudd plays ALL his cards right he will win the election. However, if the LNP party room dumps Abbott NOW and puts in Turnbull, it will be very, very close. I wouldn't want to call that contest."

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I don't see Turbull wanting to touch the leadership with a 10 ft pole at present. He is to moderate and smart might I add to take their current platform (if they have one) into an election and he doesn't have time to implement his own.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
http://www.smh.com.au/business/more-debt-needed-for-investments-nab-chief-20130801-2r1k6.html

And this:-

"With the water poisoned by both sides through their simplistic “surplus good, deficit bad” chanting, it would take a very serious effort to explain the Big Idea to the electorate. However, done properly, there is a broad church from big business to organised labour to the social sector who could be willingly enlisted.
It wouldn't be easy to reverse three years of surplus worship, particularly with the opposition sure to run the obvious lines about Labor just wanting to spend and go further into disastrous debt, but it could be done. I'd argue that the last politician with the ability to explain complex policy to the electorate was Lindsay Tanner – there's no sign of anyone on either side of politics with that talent.
But the combined efforts of the superannuation industry, big business and the rational elements of the labour movement could help, with the former two perhaps capable of bringing some pressure to bear on the Liberal Party to put the nation's interests ahead of winning the keys to the Lodge.
It's a little late to start this Big Idea, this investing in Australia, as the resources construction phase will peak quicker than solid projects will be shovel-ready, but that's not an excuse to rule it out. Our infrastructure backlog remains whatever the timing.
And it is indeed a Big Idea. The question is, are we still capable of grasping a big idea, or has the divisiveness of the past three years diminished our aspirations?"
Michael Pascoe is a BusinessDay contributing editor.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Good points by Michael Pascoe. No chance before the next election, but whichever party loses will have a perfect chance to re-invent and consider actually pushing some good but complex policy - as a point of difference.

On the infrastructure front, I'm wondering which party which actually be bold enough to openly promote a second Sydney airport at Badgery's Creek. It's a perfect opportunity to build a good project and be a little ahead of public opinion, which in western Sydney is starting to come around to the idea of an airport there.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Someone needs some vision and leadership to make a decision about the second airport for Sydney.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Remenber Rudd promised to end the adds by gov't as wasteful.

There is no problem runnng deficits as long as you have an economy diverse enough to pay the debts. Comparisons with more diverse economies is miss leading. So having long running deficits which are unfunded and monies spent on wild schemes that remind me of snake oil salesmen of the 1800's is not great for Aust

Status
Not open for further replies.