• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Federal Pollie Pay Rises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
internationalchart.gif

axeswithnames.gif

The extremists are all mental.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
That's good right?

Who wants extremists?

Why not have two parties representing the different facets of the political spectrum battling it out to create a balanced, representative parliament?

It's shit having politicians too scared to step on someone's toes to make any meaningful change. Centrists stand there with a hose, watering down all proposals.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
Why not have two parties representing the different facets of the political spectrum battling it out to create a balanced, representative parliament?

It's shit having politicians too scared to step on someone's toes to make any meaningful change. Centrists stand there with a hose, watering down all proposals.

Tax cuts for the rich and sucking up to the religious on one side.

Unions social care and regulation on the left.

The country see-sawing between the two positions depending on the outcomes of elections isn't good for anyone.

The extremists always vote for their own sect. So the people who hold the power are the swing voters - the people in the middle who choose leaders based on their ideas rather than personal interest.

I don't think "I always vote liberal" or "I always vote labour" is democracy.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I don't think "I always vote liberal" or "I always vote labour" is democracy.

I don't either. But I do think having a strong presence of both sides of the political spectrum in parliament is healthy.

Back to the core of the thread though, I think money will bring the most qualified people to a job, but passion will bring the harder working people to a job.

Finding a qualified, impassioned person is the ideal move.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I don't either. But I do think having a strong presence of both sides of the political spectrum in parliament is healthy.

Back to the core of the thread though, I think money will bring the most qualified people to a job, but passion will bring the harder working people to a job.

Finding a qualified, impassioned person is the ideal move.

So we pay them nothing then? :)

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
internationalchart.gif

axeswithnames.gif

The extremists are all mental.

You're right and also right that we don't want extremists. However, what is now regarded as the centre isn't actually the centre any more. KRudd is further left than Gillard and much further left than Abbott. That means that the "centre" in Australian politics has shifted substantially to the right. This has particularly been the case for the last 20-25 years.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I have always thought that extremists appear in Australian society when the balance is lost. With the increasing political closeness of the major parties, as can be well seen by the images above, I am not surprised at all to see the emergence of "extremists". They act to bring the system back to balance as the parties move in the direction of these extremists to limit their impact.

The major parties however are losing the faith of the populous which makes extremists more dangerous as if a major party falls too far a rapidly emerging extremist group could step into the void.

Just think it wasn't too long ago that many viewed the Greens as extremists.

Status
Not open for further replies.