• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Final Trial - Reds v. Force

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Just to keep things tidy I will start a separate thread.

Based on what I have seen in the last few games, and injuries notwithstanding, here is the Reds side I would like to see on the paddock for the final trial:

15. Hynes 14. Morahan 13. Turinui. 12. Fainga'a 11. Ioane 10. Cooper 9. Genia 8. Taylor 7. Braid. 6. Higginbottom. 5. Byrne. 4. Horwill 3. Weekes. 2. Hardman. 1. Daley.

Bench is an interesting one. I think Chambers would be better off getting a full game with the 2's on Friday, as with Holmes and Luafutu and Houston, if they are ready for a return. Would even consider a full game in the 2' s for Lucas, just to give him game time.

Bench spots for Kennedy, Holmes,Hanson, Simmons and Tomiki in the forwards, and Kingi, Walsh, Davies in the backs. Not sure about the other bench spot, maybe Tapuai for one?

Pure speculation, but it will be interesting to see what the coach decides.

T

TOCC

yeah that probably looks about right spectator, i hear Ezra Taylor just beat Higginbottom to the 'king of the gym' title

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
spectator said:
Bench is an interesting one. I think Chambers would be better off getting a full game with the 2's on Friday, as with Holmes and Luafutu and Houston, if they are ready for a return. Would even consider a full game in the 2' s for Lucas, just to give him game time.

that's a really good point re the 2's. The QAS (QLD 2s) play an Australian Barbarians on the Saturday night, the night after the Force trial. So full games for the likes of Chambers, Holmes, Tasi and Houston (if fit?) will probably be the preferred option. What happens with Benny Lucas will be interesting. Do they revert him back to scrumhalf for that game? Take him with the main team as back up flyhalf? If so, does his little brother get the run on Saturday?

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Noddy said:
spectator said:
What happens with Benny Lucas will be interesting. Do they revert him back to scrumhalf for that game? Take him with the main team as back up flyhalf? If so, does his little brother get the run on Saturday?
Given that he hasn't yet played a game of senior rugby, it might be a bit premature to throw in the younger Lucas at this stage. Maybe Brent Hamlin from South or Curtis Franks from Easts to do the halfback job for Qld B? I would hope that if Ben Lucas was played in this game, it would be a full match at 10.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
15. Hynes 14. Morahan 13. Turinui. 12. Fainga'a 11. Ioane 10. Cooper 9. Genia 8. Taylor 7. Braid. 6. Higginbottom. 5. Byrne. 4. Horwill 3. Weekes. 2. Hardman. 1. Daley.

Bench spots for Kennedy, Holmes,Hanson, Simmons and Tomiki in the forwards, and Kingi, Walsh, Davies in the backs.

Who's the front runner out of Hanson & S.Fainga'a for the bench spot come round 1? Haven't really heard to much on these two at all this season.

Saw Hanson training one time & he is a big boy pretty similar to Moore but only jut tips the scales at 100kg which is a lot lighter than he looks.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Would love to see Hanson get a start in the Force trial. I haven't written Saia Fainga'a off by any means but he's had quite a few games of Super rugby now and I'd like to look at Hanson - not being able to assess him from Sydney and not seeing a lot of North Harbour in the ANZC.

I've never forgotten that try he scored in the ARC when he ran away to score a try. I wondered who that fast back was - as I didn't recognise him. Bloody hell - it was the hooker.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
anyone planning on going to the QLD A game? I guess I will wait and see the teams, but I am considering heading out.

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
S Fainga'a played out 20 mins the other night and looked alright but I was surprised he didn't get more time on the field. Perhaps they gave Hardy and decent run because he won't play this weekend and the Fainga'a and Hanson will get to fight it out?

The bits I saw of Hanson in the NPC he looked pretty solid, both in statue and play

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I saw Brett Hamlin mentioned above. Have the Brumbies let him go from their Academy?

edit: It was hard to see much of Hanson for North Harbour as he was used mainly off the bench. Looked busy when he came on, though.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I asked LMSC how it works and got this answer:

Head to LMSCTV.com before the game, a link will appear next to the scheduled match, just click and watch. There will also be some additional advertising and news items on the day to direct users to the player.

Also might be key to note, vision quality of the LIVE broadcasts are far superior to any of the replays we put on line (replays are down graded due to the shear file size)

RugbyWA / Force should also be sending out a press release in the next day or two - and we presume will also link on their site

That's as much as I know - I assume it is free.

As listed - it starts at 6.45pm WST.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Ash said:
I saw Brett Hamlin mentioned above. Have the Brumbies let him go from their Academy?
edit: It was hard to see much of Hanson for North Harbour as he was used mainly off the bench. Looked busy when he came on, though.
I'm fairly certain he spent all of last year in Brisbane, so he may have been out of the Brumbies setup for a while. Also understand that he was training off-season in the Wider Reds set up.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
After getting word of a last minute business trip, I will be in town for this game.

I have hit up some contacts and have a ticket organised, anyone else going?

D

daz

MrTimms said:
After getting word of a last minute business trip, I will be in town for this game.

I have hit up some contacts and have a ticket organised, anyone else going?

Yep, I'll be there on my pat malone. Happy to meet up with anyone from the forum for a beer. I've got a ticket in the reserved seating area and am looking forward to seeing the start of a new era in Reds rugby.

Please let it be a real new era, rather than an extension to the recent series of same-old disappointments...! I'm counting on you, Mr. McKenzie, sir!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Wallabies James Horwill, Digby Ioane and Quade Cooper will play in the QR Reds final pre-season trial match this Friday against the Western Force in Perth.

In a surprise move by Head Coach Ewen McKenzie, Reds captain Horwill will switch from lock to blindside flanker for this match, with Adam Byrnes partnering Van Humphries in the second row.

As he did for the Wallabies and for Queensland during last season, Ioane will play at outside centre against the Force, with Anthony Fainga'a as his inside centre partner and Rod Davies and Luke Morahan on the wings.

Having been cleared to resume playing, Cooper will slot in at flyhalf, outside fellow Wallaby and scrumhalf Will Genia, who has been named vice captain for the match.

Former Wallaby prop Greg Holmes returns from a rib injury to play at loosehead prop, while young hooker James Hanson gets his first crack at a starting spot.

After running enlarged squads of up to 30 players in previous trials, McKenzie will use the Friday night match against the Force and Saturday's Ballymore game between an Australian Barbarians side and a QAS Reds 2nd XV team to give more game time to those players who have had less than others.

"We're trying some different combinations and we're looking to make sure guys get enough playing time to be match fit," McKenzie said.

"That's why we've looked at these two games as a chance to give players as much game time as we can before we sit down to decide the final combination for the game against NSW.

"The coaching staff will be back from Perth in time to watch the A game at Ballymore on Saturday night, so there's plenty of opportunity there."

The Reds will take a squad of 24 to Perth, with the remaining uninjured players turning out against the Barbarians.

Asked about the decision to move Horwill to the backrow for his first game back after the Wallaby tour, McKenzie was non-committal.

"We're just trying a few things," he said.

"Kevvie (Horwill) is pretty excited about it, so we'll see how it goes."

QR Reds team to play the Western Force at Members Equity Stadium Perth on Friday night (from fullback): Peter Hynes, Luke Morahan, Digby Ioane, Anthony Fainga'a, Rod Davies, Quade Cooper, Will Genia (vc), Ezra Taylor, Daniel Braid, James Horwill (c), Van Humphries, Adam Byrnes, Laurie Weeks, James Hanson, Greg Holmes. Reserves: Ben Daley, Sean Hardman, James Slipper, Robert Simmons, Scott Higginbotham, Richard Kingi, Ben Lucas, Morgan Turinui, Blair Connor.

Admission and parking for this Saturday night's match at Ballymore between the QAS Reds 2nd XV and the Australian Barbarians will be free. Kickoff is at 7.30pm.

The teams are:

QAS Reds 2nd XV (from fullback): Aidan Toua (Easts), Brando Va'aulu (University), Will Chambers (TBC), Ben Tapuai (Sunnybank), Paul Doneley (Brothers), Tim Walsh (TBC), Brent Hamlin (Souths), Jake Schatz (Sunnybank), Lei Tomiki (TBC), Andrew Shaw (Brothers), Liam Shaw (Brothers), Adam Preocanin (Easts), Dayna Edwards (Sunnybank), Saia Fainga'a (Souths), Albert Anae (Sunnybank). Reserves: Heath Tessman (University), David Feao (Souths), Pat Ritchie (Eats), Cameron Bracewell (Gold Coast), Liam Gill (Sunnybank), Sam Grasso (Brothers), Jono Lance (University), Dallan Murphy (Brothers).

Australian Barbarians (from fullback) Thomas Cox (Sunshine Coast), Rex Tapuai (Sunnybank), James Harvey (Brothers), Nathanuel Gendle (Brothers), Nicky Price (Brothers), Michael Zovko (Souths), Sam Batty (Country), Paula Kaho (Souths), Chris Johnson (Souths), Martin Collins (Gold Coast), Tom Murday (Sunnybank), Rubin Fuimaono (Gold Coast), Adrian Dixon (Brothers), Andrew Coady (Brothers), Cole Mooney (Gold Coast). Reserves: Ryan Schultz, (Norths), Sam Cummins (Easts), Brett Nayler (GPS), Geoff Ingram (GPS), Mitch Francis (Gold Coast), Ian Prior (University), Fred Tuua (Souths), Ian Aokuso (Wests)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
well I reckon I'm going to go. Admission and parking are free.

That team:

Aidan Toua (Easts), Brando Va'aulu (University), Will Chambers (TBC), Ben Tapuai (Sunnybank), Paul Doneley (Brothers), Tim Walsh (TBC), Brent Hamlin (Souths), Jake Schatz (Sunnybank), Lei Tomiki (TBC), Andrew Shaw (Brothers), Liam Shaw (Brothers), Adam Preocanin (Easts), Dayna Edwards (Sunnybank), Saia Fainga'a (Souths), Albert Anae (Sunnybank). Reserves: Heath Tessman (University), David Feao (Souths), Pat Ritchie (Eats), Cameron Bracewell (Gold Coast), Liam Gill (Sunnybank), Sam Grasso (Brothers), Jono Lance (University), Dallan Murphy (Brothers).

has enough to watch to make it interesting.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
He'd better bloody not play Horwill at 6 during the season proper, we don't need another player confused as to whether he is a lock or a blindside.

Status
Not open for further replies.