• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Finals predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Well, in a surprise to fucking nobody, I'm picking the Rising to come first.

Finals from here look like:

Rising v Vikings
Brisbane v Eagles

Reckon the Eagles, if they get their full lineup on the park, might just have the game to upset Brisvegas, and head to Melbourne for their runners-up medals.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What's the schedule for the finals? Will they all be broadcast and, if so, played on Thursday night?

Wilson

David Codey (61)

Rising v Vikings
Brisbane v Eagles

Reckon the Eagles, if they get their full lineup on the park, might just have the game to upset Brisvegas, and head to Melbourne for their runners-up medals.

Probably about right, though the Spirit may pip the Vikings. The Vikings do have an advantage with a game in hand but it's an harder run home for them and the Spirit will likely travel to the NSW Country game with there full contingent.

I'd expect City to beat NSW Country, but it'll be very interesting to see who gets released to play from the Wallabies, particularly in that first week of finals, with a break before the EOYT tour.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
The Rebels are locked in. Brisbane City need a win (ideally with a bonus point to wipe out mathematical possibilities). NSW Country might need two wins (but possibly could scrape through on one). The Rams, the Vikings and the Spirit all need at least two wins to be in with a chance and three for the Vikings would pretty much lock them in. The Rays are an outside chance probably needing three wins unless they get super lucky.

I'd wager on:
1. Rebels
2. Brissie City
3. Whoever wins the Rnd 8 clash between the Vikings and NSW Country.
4. Spirit

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Schatz will probably only be gone for one game. City willl likely get back Genia as he hasn't play much for a while and may not make the Wallabies 23 for the last Bledisloe.

Vikings edit: Rising on 30 have the comp sealed up.

If City on 16 win even just 1 out of their last 3, which is fairly likely, they'll end up in 2nd or 3rd. City have Rams away, Rays away, Vikings home, of which they are probably favourite to win all 3 but more likely will get 2 or so. City seem to be one of the few teams not picking up many injuries - in fact they have been getting stronger as the comp goes on, with Genia, Cooper, Gill, Browning, Turner (and to a lesser degree Faagase) all returning after the start.

The Eagles on 15 have an easier run home than City: Stars (likely bonus point win), Vikings away (likely close game), Spirit home (likely win with no regular Force Super rugby players).

I'd say that 2nd / 3rd will be a close run thing, with maybe the Eagles pipping City for 2nd despite winning less games.

I'd pick the Vikings on 11 for 4th, but they seem to be accumulating a few injuries and have a few tough games vs the Rays, Eagles and City, so it may be a close run thing.

Spirit on 11 are also in trouble, with a bye, home game vs Qld Country (which they should win) and away vs the Eagles (which they should lose).

Rams on 11 also have a tough run home, playing City, Rising and then a bye, so I think they are toast, probably not winning again unless they upset City.

Finally, the Rays on 10 have the Vikings away, City home, and Stars home, of which you'd expect them to win the last only.

So, 4 teams fighting for 4th, and I reckon all 4 look like winning just 1 if their remaining 3 games. However, Vikings look most likely of picking up an upset win or even a few close losses vs either the Eagles and/or City, so they're my pick for fourth.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Rising v Vikings
Brisbane v Eagles

Think the Spirit could make the finals, probably at the expense of the Vikings on present form.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Schatz will probably only be gone for one game. City willl likely get back Genia as he hasn't play much for a while and may not make the Wallabies 23 for the last Bledisloe.

Vikings Rising on 30 have the comp sealed up.

fixed for you

Reactions: Ash

Wilson

David Codey (61)
The Eagles on 15 have an easier run home than City: Stars (likely bonus point win), Vikings away (likely close game), Spirit home (likely win with no regular Force Super rugby players).

That game may well be a case of win and make the finals, loose and you're out for the Spirit, don't be surprised if they bring the super rugby players.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
anyone else get the impression the rest of the field is rising to the Rising standard? I'm picking the Rising lose the final, not sure to who (hoping Eagles)

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not really.. the Rams were in top form and played to their best and still lost by 18. In the last 15 mins the Rising dominated, just turned it on.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I reckon Brisbane can do them in the finals. If they had Quade, which I assuming they won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.