• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Footscray Rugby Club and Victorian Rugby in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Footscray Bulldogs’ relegation dogfight

06 APR 10 @ 07:00AM BY ANTHEA CANNON

The Footscray Bulldogs rugby union team trains at Henry Turner Memorial Reserve despite being relegated from Club Rugby's division one. DAVID SMITH N41WT111
RUGBY union in the West has been dealt a cruel blow with Footscray Bulldogs demoted from the premier competition. But the boys are determined to make the best of it.

In order to be eligible for division one in the Victorian Rugby Union’s Club Rugby competition, clubs must have three teams and a “pathway for juniors”.

So when Footscray, the West’s only division one club, amicably ended its association with Wyndham City last year, the club was deemed ineligible without a third team.

However, it joined forces with Melbourne Chargers, a gay-friendly side, and set about training for the 2010 season.

But the VRU would not readmit Footscray, despite it being at its strongest with an emerging women’s team and a blossoming partnership with Braybrook College.

Club president Wayne Hunt and Melbourne Chargers president and Footscray Rugby Union Club committee member Ben Lancken took their case to the VRU’s annual general meeting, but lost a vote for the issue to be considered 17-19.

In an email to the club, the VRU had said it would be more appropriate if the Melbourne Chargers started at a lower level of competition.

Mr Lancken said it was the VRU clutching at straws rather than discrimination.

“They don’t know how we play. It was an interesting comment ... ability has never come into (eligibility) before.

“It’s a shame for rugby in the West, for young players.”

The relegation means the premier competition is now run between eight teams, preventing the need for weekly byes.

Mr Hunt and Mr Lancken said that, while still awaiting a proper explanation from VRU, their club’s re-admittance was a lost cause because the season started on April 24.

VRU president Tim North said the competition had been “set in stone” last year before Footscray boosted its numbers.

“To change the (schedule) at the last minute is not proper process. It’s disappointing (Footscray are no longer in division one) and we hope that they will be back in next year because our only aim is to foster rugby. But there’s nothing wrong with playing in second division,” Mr North said.

“Full due process has been followed and they have been explained the reasons.”

Mr Hunt said the club had told players it would not stand in their way if they decided to leave.

“I haven’t seen anyone leave yet, but time will tell,” he said.

The club had previously been home to state level players.

Mr Lancken said being relegated to division two wouldn’t make players ineligible for state selection but their chances of selection were now slim.

This article frames the issue as being about homophobia combined with a deliberate alienation of the Western Melbourne sporting community. This is pretty far from the truth.

The truth is up until last year Victorian Senior Rugby was broken up into Premier 1/2/3, Second Grade, Colts (which is U20 and any club can field a team in it) and Country. It was commonplace for a good club that only had the numbers for 1 or 2 teams would join with a 1 team club to field the necessary 3 teams to play Premier Grade. The VRU drew the line this year and said if you can't field 3 teams this year, you are demoted to 2nd Grade and Footscray got demoted. They are however keen to get back up, which is good to see.

Second Grade this year has been split into two leagues this year due to demand. This was also so non-Premier clubs with 2 sides can play them in different leagues of different standards and the better 2nd grade clubs wouldn't have to versus the ones considered "social".

This year there are 8 clubs playing Premier Grade with 3 clubs (Wyndham City, Endeavor Hills and Footscray) looking to gain promotion in the not to distant future.

Also according to the article a new club, the Melbourne Chargers, are starting up this year with another one, Melbourne South Africans, likely to start exhibition fixtures this year.

Interesting developments in the Victorian Rugby community indeed.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
I remember a few times back in the day (97 in this case), when clubs couldn't field a Colts side. One week we had to lend a fair few players (7) to Quins, but it was a Sunday, which didn't work with a fair few of their guys religious beliefs. Powerhouse Colts actually folded mid-season that year due to lack of numbers. The bigger clubs can be bad at providing a "pathway to rugby". Actually remember Powerhouse merging with (absorbing) Altona in those days to keep rugby in the west.

VRU are on a hiding to nothing on the rest though. Assuming that due process was followed it still never looks good in press. Lucky we can barely get a Rebels signing covered down here.

Also, what paper was that article from?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Stoff,

There was an Altona Union Club? Go figure. But yeah, this whole Rugby dying in Western Melbourne based on Footscray is a load of BS. Powerhouse are one of the top 4 clubs in Melbourne consistently and will always be the major presence out there. The clubs are about 15 minutes apart in peak hour.

The professionalism in Victorian Rugby is getting there slowly. The Colts league is being finalised this week but is set to be between 10 and 12 teams. One club, Melbourne Unicorns, is even fielding 2 colts sides. Things are on the up and up. In quantitative terms the league is looking slightly better the WA or even ACT tournaments. Qualitatively may be a different story but I wouldn't know.

As far as media attention goes the information gets to where it needs to, the die-hard fans. I have been noticing more and more friends of mine who I never would of picked have been taking an interest in the Rebels. I think Union really is everyones 2nd favourite sport.

We will soon see if this will support a professional franchise though.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Out of interest, who are Melbourne Unicorns - I assume Melbourne RUFC still playing out of Faulkner Park. Actually surprised that Powerhouse are now big in the west. We didn't have a specific base when I played there as we were nicely located on Albert Park Lake, with the players skating on their studs out of the GP pits/change rooms. The Altona thing may explain it.

Media-wise I find it disturbing that the Herald Sun is more over the Rebels than the Age, even if they are part of the TV rights owners.

Still would love to know attribution for the article at the top of the thread.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Melbourne RUFC (aka Melbourne Unicorns) play on Orrong Rd in Prahran. Not sure how long this has been the case but I get the impression it has been for a while.

Powerhouse still have the GP pits as the change rooms but still managed to field a 4 open teams last year including a 1st grade side who were Minor Premiers (I'm 95% sure). Apparently they are set to field a Colts side this year as well (which shouldn't be an issue with their player base). I think they get their players from their junior club, some from the schools league (Xavier/Melb/Brighton Grammar kids live reasonable around there) and some are rugby playing travelers (mostly from Europe). Maybe they have done their homework since you left?

Media was always going to be an issue but they haven't exactly been friendly to the Storm either and they have done OK.

My apologies about the article, the link is http://maribyrnong-leader.whereilive.com.au/news/story/footscray-bulldogs-relegation-dogfight/.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
you guys should do up a wikipedia page, even though it might sound stupid, i did up the shute shield page and it helps peoplesortof identify i feel, the leagueys have done a real good job in making league seem bigger than it is because their wiki pages are so much more developed than ours, im gonna make a template for the australian club competitions soon

and en force er, you have to change your name or sumthin soon won't you?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
RugbyFuture said:
you guys should do up a wikipedia page, even though it might sound stupid, i did up the shute shield page and it helps peoplesortof identify i feel, the leagueys have done a real good job in making league seem bigger than it is because their wiki pages are so much more developed than ours, im gonna make a template for the australian club competitions soon

and en force er, you have to change your name or sumthin soon won't you?

I will, I will. Do they let you chat your username? I feel like I'd lose my whole online identity.

How would I get access to said template? I'd be happy to pinch a few things from the VRU site.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
i dunno, ask gagger or scarfman or sumthing i presume it would be kinda possible to change it if you were an administrator.

I haven't created the template yet but if you go to the shute shield wiki site it has basically a good outline you can follow for a victorian club version. The various clubs also are based off a wroldwide template for teams available somewhere on the rugby union project. I'd maybe try emailing the VRU because i found it difficult enough to create a similar layout for the QPR, although i didnt have local knowledge.

T

tighthead1982

I feel for Footscray, particularly after Boroondara was dropped from Premier Division a few years (and unfairly mind you), due to what many at the club including myself thought were double standards. In hindsight, the benefits from this far out-way any negatives. It brought the club together with a determination to get back in to Premier Division, the re-establishment of juniors again, which brought back a great memories from my junior days at the club, and the establishment of a link between Old Xavs and the club. It also gave birth to a strong rivalry with Footscray culminating in two closely fought A Grade Premierships for the club. My only real concerns for the club are senior player numbers and the state of the ground. he lack of cooperation from the local council and Hawthorn Secondary College (the state education department actually own the ground) to improve it doesn't help. When the soil is mostly clay, it tends to be rock hard!

en_force_er said:
There was an Altona Union Club? Go figure.

Altona folded mid 90's I think, I remember playing them as a junior, but for the life of me remember when exactly. I know Powerhouse are affiliated with Hobson's Bay and could be what was the Altona club. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Club rugby kicked off for the season over the weekend. Did anyone get down and watch/play any of the games? I went down to see Boroondara v Moorabbin 1st Grade on the weekend and saw a very promising start to the season for the Redbacks. Despite the loss, it was a showcase of what the team could do. The scrum needs some work and the backs need to hold on to the ball rather than kick the ball away unnecessarily, which they did a number of times resulting in a couple of Moorabbin's try's. Lack of numbers didn't help either, fingers crossed they'll get back players that were missing on the weekend sooner rather than later. It's only the first game of the year, so there is plenty more room for improvement!

T

tighthead1982

Here's the Premier Division Draw for anyone who's interested:

ROUND 1 24 April
Melbourne v Box Hill
Sth Districts v Harlequin
Boroondara v Moorabbin
Melb Uni v Pwr House

ROUND 2 1 May
Melbourne v Sth Districts
Box Hill v Harlequin
Boroondara v Melb Uni
Moorabbin v Pwr House

ROUND 3 8 May
Pwr House v Melbourne
Melb Uni v Box Hill
Moorabbin v Sth Districts
Harlequin v Boroondara

ROUND 4 15 May
Pwr House v Boroondara
Harlequin v Melbourne
Sth Districts v Box Hill
Melb Uni v Moorabbin

ROUND 5 22 May
Melbourne v Melb Uni
Boroondara v Sth Districts
Box Hill v Pwr House
Moorabbin v Harlequin

ROUND 6 29 May
Boroondara v Melbourne
Moorabbin v Box Hill
Melb Uni v Sth Districts
Pwr House v Harlequin

ROUND 7 5 June
Melbourne v Moorabbin
Box Hill v Boroondara
Sth Districts v Pwr House
Harlequin v Melb Uni

ROUND 8 19 June
Box Hill v Melbourne
Harlequin v Sth Districts
Moorabbin v Boroondara
Pwr House v Melb Uni

ROUND 9 26 June
Sth Districts v Melbourne
Harlequin v Box Hill
Melb Uni v Boroondara
Pwr House v Moorabbin

ROUND 10 3 July
Melbourne v Pwr House
Box Hill v Melb Uni
Sth Districts v Moorabbin
Boroondara v Harlequin

ROUND 11 10 July
Boroondara v Pwr House
Melbourne v Harlequin
Box Hill v Sth Districts
Moorabbin v Melbourne Uni

ROUND 12 17 July
Melb Uni v Melbourne
Sth Districts v Boroondara
Pwr House v Box Hill
Harlequin v Moorabbin

ROUND 13 24 July
Melbourne v Boroondara
Box Hill v Moorabbin
Sth Districts v Melb Uni
Harlequin v Pwr House

ROUND 14 31 July
Moorabbin v Melbourne
Boroondara v Box Hill
Pwr House v Sth Districts
Melb Uni v Harlequin

ROUND 15 7 August
Melbourne v Box Hill
Sth Districts v Harlequin
Boroondara v Moorabbin
Melb Uni v Pwr House

ROUND 16 14 August
Melbourne v Sth Districts
Box Hill v Harlequin
Boroondara v Melb Uni
Moorabbin v Pwr House

ROUND 17 21 August
Pwr House v Boroondara
Harlequin v Melbourne
Sth Districts v Box Hill
Melb Uni v Moorabbin

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Tighthead, I wouldn't say Boorondara and Xavier have much of a connection, many clubs try to get player numbers up by affiliating with a school but it just doesn't seem to be a long term thing. It's entirely based on the preference of the current year level. That being said, how's your colts looking? You seem to have signed a bunch of pretty handy English lads.

The advantage of dropping Footscray, combined with the huge improvement of Souths means that Prem 1st Grade is looking extremely competitive this year. Footscray need a couple of years to re-galvanise as a club. I wish the best to them.

I'm personally not a huge fan of the sign-up another club to be your 3rd grade thing that some clubs are doing. With Footscray dropped Souths are the last one. Though, I guess if it's a choice between Souths having a colts side or having a 3rd grade I'd rather colts.

So, how are Boorondara looking this year? Any other interesting inside news related to Vic Rugby? I hear Eltham, Wydnam, Footscray and Endevour are all desperate to move up to Prems, anyone know much about this?

T

tighthead1982

Actually a bulk of our Colts side and for the past couple of years has been made up of Xavier old boys. The Club President is an ex Xavier Boy/Parent, so the connection is there. No idea how many have joined the club this year, I haven't been around much. Colts kick off their season this weekend, won't be able to get down to watch them though with work commitments. I only found out about the English lads this week, so I have no idea how they'll go. Fingers crossed the Colts will get off to a good start.

The Club as a whole is looking good in terms of finances and organisation, it's a very exciting time. If you get the chance, drop by for one of our home games and check out the club rooms, they're looking great!

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
tighthead1982 said:
Actually a bulk of our Colts side and for the past couple of years has been made up of Xavier old boys. The Club President is an ex Xavier Boy/Parent, so the connection is there. No idea how many have joined the club this year, I haven't been around much. Colts kick off their season this weekend, won't be able to get down to watch them though with work commitments. I only found out about the English lads this week, so I have no idea how they'll go. Fingers crossed the Colts will get off to a good start.

The Club as a whole is looking good in terms of finances and organisation, it's a very exciting time. If you get the chance, drop by for one of our home games and check out the club rooms, they're looking great!

You comment links back into what I said about it not being a long term thing.

You obviously have a fair few of the Xavier 07 graduates but the 08 and 09 crop are almost entirely playing at Melbourne (there would have to be at least 15 of them). There were 1 or 2 08 boys playing for you guys last year but from what I hear they aren't this year. This trend is set to change though with alot of the Xavier coaches having some kind of Melbourne Uni affiliation.

Great to hear about everything being in order with you boys. If only you could get your field fixed, it's in such a good location but it's so uneven.

T

tighthead1982

I haven't been around the club enough to know exactly what is going on. I'm sure I'll hear more in due course.

The field has been a problem the club has been trying to get resolved for quite some time. Club admin are doing everything they possibly can to get something done about it, it needs to be done in conjunction with the Hawthorn Cricket Club as well seeing as their Juniors use it in the Rugby off-season, as well as the council and Hawthorn SC. It is an ongoing issue of frustration for the club!

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Anyone interested might like to know Footscray in currently putting cricket scores on other teams in Vic Rugby's 2nd Division. They will probably move up to Div 1 again next year with a whole heap of club pride restored.

Status
Not open for further replies.