• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon

Chris McKivat (8)
This is what I find interesting.

When RugbyWA went to the ARU asking for a loan, they were refused.

Instead, they were required to sell their IP (firstly) and Super licence (subsequently) to get financial help.

We heard from the ARU, "no more bailout loans", and that the way forward for rugby was this new model of cooperation under "Alliance" agreements.

Well, we all know how that worked out …

But now it seems Queensland Rugby nearly went insolvent this year. Did the ARU buy out their IP and/or Super licence to provide some ready cash?

Hell no, they provided a bailout loan!

What a stitch up.
Do you have this confirmed anywhere? I've turned off rugby this year in a big way, but i would have thought i'd have seen that news somewhere.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Do you have this confirmed anywhere? I've turned off rugby this year in a big way, but i would have thought i'd have seen that news somewhere.

Best I can do for now (see Tony Howarth's opening statement, pages 20–21):

http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/download/committees/commsen/73598356-3773-4e76-b3e8-1bb8240ce745/toc_pdf/Community Affairs References Committee_2017_09_20_5567.pdf

"The RugbyWA board believed Bill Pulver when he publicly stated his commitment to the Force remaining in Perth and the ARU's support for the growth of rugby in WA and that the strategic objective was to introduce a new model for Australian rugby. In the same way, we believed the ARU needed to feel the financial consequences of its policies on talent equalisation, which went to the heart of the Western Force's ability to be competitive and which was a large driver of our financial challenges. It appears that we were wrong on both counts and it appears that the ARU used the alliance agreement as an easy way to shut down the Force and reverted quickly to its former operating methodology by granting financial assistance to the Queensland Reds."

Basically, the third of the three sentences above.

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
Well played ARU you've won!! This rusted on Force supporter has now lost the will and care to fight anymore hope they take the spirit as well so we can totally not give a toss about rugby. If you Rebels don't win the comp you deserve a good rootin. You've had everything handed to you on a platter. Id be ashamed to call myself a supporter.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There are thousands of threads on this forum that are no longer relevant and they just drift back in the pages.

That can happen here too I reckon.

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
A sad sad day. I dont want to be angry at Wessels bu I genuinely hoped he'd leave for Munster and take Coleman with him. It really feels like there are no real consequences for the incompetent ARU. I know it's complex for Wessels but a fresh start overseas would have been best. Distance himself from the whole mess.

B

BLR

A sad sad day. I dont want to be angry at Wessels bu I genuinely hoped he'd leave for Munster and take Coleman with him. It really feels like there are no real consequences for the incompetent ARU. I know it's complex for Wessels but a fresh start overseas would have been best. Distance himself from the whole mess.

The ARU are extremely competent, they seemed to have wanted to destroy rugby in WA and god damn have they done a good job of it.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Not the Rebels fault, I hope the former Force players, Wessels and hopefully Bakarat add immense value to the Rebels and become a....force...to be reckoned with

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Not the Rebels fault, I hope the former Force players, Wessels and hopefully Bakarat add immense value to the Rebels and become a..force.to be reckoned with

The ARU is ultimately responsible but. Rugby in Victoria is such a non performing asset over many years that the ARU has almost hit insolvency as a result. If there was even a modicum of support and passion for the game there we would not be in this position. To make things even worse the worst performing area by far is kept, not because of any future blue sky but because the at the time current COO Rob Clarke an ex CEO of the Rebels and the Chair Clyne were personally connected to the Rebels. Any mildly unbiased Management and Board would never allowed this to happen. The result was, the most financially secure Team and the area with the greatest chance to become an even greater Rugby Union stronghold was let go. Make no mistake the Force was chosen due to the Rebels and their supporters on the board and in management. BTW the day after the ARU announced that a team would go on April the 9th the WF Chairman sent the ARU a letter telling them that Twiggy was 100% behind the Force. Why would Clyne not take this into account? because they had already made their decision because of personal self interest.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Very interesting piece on 7:30 last night about the canning of the Force and the Senate Enquiry. If you haven't seen it, check it out on Iview.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Former Force player Jayden Hayward has been picked in the Italy squad for the end of year internationals.

T

TOCC

That’s the second Force/Spirit player who has now progressed onto Italian test team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

M

Moono75

I wonder how the Australian can describe the Victorian governments downgraded investment of approx $14 million for 6 Wallabies Tests a Bledisloe Cup and Lions Test over 8 years as massive? What then was the WA governments $5 million for one Bledisloe Cup Test......truly Gargantuan!

The announcement by the Rebels and that North bloke today just sounds like they are copying the Forces community engagement plan and rolling it out in Victoria. Perhaps a revised Rebels playing strip morphing to a lighter shade of blue is next.

Status
Not open for further replies.