• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force desperate for hookers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
It's official, Tai McIsaac is retiring at the end of the year, leaving the Force with only Luke Holmes, who is not really a S14 starter. The Force have expressed interest in TPN, but he's on contract as far as I know, and the Tahs have already said, "sod off!".

I really think the Force got it wrong by not aggressively targetting Freier last year when he was available. The Force tight 5 scouting and signing has been woeful - it's something they need to improve, especially letting players like Jerry Y, Weeks, Charles all slip through their fingers, two of them heading to Academies. Haven't been too impressed with their acquisition of O'Connor, either.

In contrast, the Reds seem to have unearthed Weeks, Daley and Kennedy (poached from the Brumbies Academy), plus done well with Byrnes, and also did alright with Edwards last year. The Force could do worse than aggressively targetting Dunning from the Tahs, Ma'afu from the Brumbies, or Edwards from the Reds to replace Castle. Hooker is a problem, though, as still is lock.

Tatafu Polota-Nau ... Western Force target. Stephen Cooper

Western Force pursue interest in NSW hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau
Bret Harris
March 14, 2009 Western Force has expressed interest in New South Wales Waratahs hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau for the next Super 14 season.

And there is speculation the Force is also keen on Waratahs half-back Brett Sheehan, who is playing behind Wallabies scrum half Luke Burgess at the Waratahs.

It is understood there has been preliminary discussions between the Force and Polota-Nau.

The Force is keen to find a hooker to replace former Wallaby Tai McIsaac, who will retire at the end of the year to take up a coaching role in Japan.

The only other hooker in the Force squad is Luke Holmes, who is not ready for a permanent starting role.

Polota-Nau, who faces strong competition from Adam Freier for Tahs No.2 jersey, would be a guaranteed starter at the Force.

Waratahs coach Chris Hickey confirmed the Force had made an approach to Polota-Nau, but said NSW would not let him go.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Ash said:
It's official, Tai McIsaac is retiring at the end of the year, leaving the Force with only Luke Holmes, who is not really a S14 starter. The Force have expressed interest in TPN, but he's on contract as far as I know, and the Tahs have already said, "sod off!".

I really think the Force got it wrong by not aggressively targetting Freier last year when he was available. The Force tight 5 scouting and signing has been woeful - it's something they need to improve, especially letting players like Jerry Y, Weeks, Charles all slip through their fingers, two of them heading to Academies. Haven't been too impressed with their acquisition of O'Connor, either.

In contrast, the Reds seem to have unearthed Weeks, Daley and Kennedy (poached from the Brumbies Academy), plus done well with Byrnes, and also did alright with Edwards last year. The Force could do worse than aggressively targetting Dunning from the Tahs, Ma'afu from the Brumbies, or Edwards from the Reds to replace Castle. Hooker is a problem, though, as still is lock.

Tatafu Polota-Nau ... Western Force target. Stephen Cooper

Western Force pursue interest in NSW hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau
Bret Harris
March 14, 2009 Western Force has expressed interest in New South Wales Waratahs hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau for the next Super 14 season.

And there is speculation the Force is also keen on Waratahs half-back Brett Sheehan, who is playing behind Wallabies scrum half Luke Burgess at the Waratahs.

It is understood there has been preliminary discussions between the Force and Polota-Nau.

The Force is keen to find a hooker to replace former Wallaby Tai McIsaac, who will retire at the end of the year to take up a coaching role in Japan.

The only other hooker in the Force squad is Luke Holmes, who is not ready for a permanent starting role.

Polota-Nau, who faces strong competition from Adam Freier for Tahs No.2 jersey, would be a guaranteed starter at the Force.

Waratahs coach Chris Hickey confirmed the Force had made an approach to Polota-Nau, but said NSW would not let him go.
Really? Curious about this. Why not? The kid looks to be pretty talented, and really could be something I reckon.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Might be a bit early to write off O'Connor - he hasn't played for 2 years due to injuries so it'll take him time to work back into form.

F

formeropenside

Or the Force could try developing a local player.

Oops, forgot that wont happen.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Huia Edmonds is just their type of player. He won't be getting many minutes with Moore at 2 for the Brumbies. I don't if he's signed for 2 years though.

F

formeropenside

I suppose the Reds could donate Fainga'a - throw in his twin as well - and then we can develop young Hanson further.

Its a shame we lost Hobbs to the Blues; he looks a good 12 and learned his rugby in Qld.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
cyclopath said:
Really? Curious about this. Why not? The kid looks to be pretty talented, and really could be something I reckon.

I was referring to Pat O'Connor, not JO'C (in case you didn't realise). O'Connor didn't impress me in the games I watched where he started in the first few games of the season.

Naza; do you know much about O'Connor?

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Ash said:
cyclopath said:

I was referring to Pat O'Connor, not JO'C (in case you didn't realise). O'Connor didn't impress me in the games I watched where he started in the first few games of the season.

Naza; do you know much about O'Connor?

I know that some people have big raps on him but injury has stood in the way of him showing his true ability. I think he lacks that extra bit of size you want in a lock, and he isn't going to learn anything about tight forward play with the Force.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Pat O'Connor is 197cm and 114kg - he's not a bad size for a second rower.

You're right about his real estate though - give him a year at the Tahs' academy and he'll be right.

Status
Not open for further replies.