• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby AU Team of the Week

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
My assumption was that it was essentially based on the team of the week concept but just with the provision that the players are a realistic change of being a Wallaby player in that position. So, for example Scott Malolua & Dane Zander would both be out, the first because he is ineligible and the second because he is not realistically in squad contention. Otherwise both could have arguably been a consideration for some.

If it’s open to all comers then it’s just the TOTW (which is fine). If it’s just the current Wallaby selection in each of our opinions then we might as well merge it back into the previous thread.
Correct. Wallaby eligible team of the week. No reason you can’t pick Zander though, makes for interesting chat elsewhere if he doesn’t make it.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
In the hope of not filling up wallabies 2020 thread with endless variations of who would play where I invite you to pick a weekly Wallaby 23. We will open a new thread every week after the last Super Rugby AU game.

Team Template

1. loosehead
  2. Hooker
  3. Tighthead
  4. Loosehead Lock
  5. Tighthead Lock
  6. Blindeside
  7. Openside
  8. 8 man
  9. Halfback
  10. Flyhalf
  11. Left Wing
  12. Inside Center
  13. Outside Center
  14. Right Wing
  15. Fullback
  16. Reserve Hooker
  17. Reserve Loosehead
  18. reserve Tighthead
  19. Reserve Lock
  20. Reserve Backrower
  21. Reserve back or Forward
  22. Reserve Halfback
  23. Reserve utility back
Rule suggestions.

1. Should players from teams on the bye be included?
2. Can players be picked in different positions to the one they played in this round?

Sully, your template unfortunately is going to cause a lot of confusion among some posters who don't seem to know the difference between a LHP and a THP.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Correct. Wallaby eligible team of the week. No reason you can’t pick Zander though, makes for interesting chat elsewhere if he doesn’t make it.
Ironically I did in the end anyway, without really thinking about it.

Only as a reserve though - I though Sio had a nice bounce back to form.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Sully, your template unfortunately is going to cause a lot of confusion among some posters who don't seem to know the difference between a LHP and a THP.
That’s a fair point however the posters that do know the difference also know that in many cases the said players can play both sides. If there is dissention we shall assemble an appropriate judiciary.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
1. Sio
2. Fainga'a
3. Tupou
4. Blyth
5. Hosea (LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) out due to high penalty count)
6. Valetini
7. Wright
8. Naisarani
9. Powell
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Wright
12. Simone
13. TK
14. Petaia
15. Banks

16. BPA
17. Zander
18. AAA
19. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
20. Wilson
21. McDermott (actually 4th in line behind ineligible Louwrens and Frank Lomani)
22. MT
23. Campbell

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Louwrens is eligible I think isn’t he? Been here since 2014 unless he went home for a while in that time?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
If I'd thought of this before the games started we could have sorted the general rules out before we started but alas I'm a little slow.
As for anything I've set out everything is up for discussion except for the order teams are listed. Anyone not starting their list at one and working through sequentially to 23 will be banned for life! But seriously, it makes things easier for those tallying these things up if everyone uses the same format.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
If I'd thought of this before the games started we could have sorted the general rules out before we started but alas I'm a little slow.
As for anything I've set out everything is up for discussion except for the order teams are listed. Anyone not starting their list at one and working through sequentially to 23 will be banned for life! But seriously, it makes things easier for those tallying these things up if everyone uses the same format.
You've made the brave call. I feel duty-bound to see this through.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
For a 5 test series v the All Blacks, I'd pick this team.

15 Tom Banks 14 Jordan Petaia 13 Tevita Kuridrani 12 Matt To'omua 11 Marika Koroibete 10 James O'Connor 9 Nic White 8 Isi Naisirani 7 Michael Hooper 6 Pete Samu 5 Lukhan Salakai-Loto 4 Rob Simmons* / Matt Philip 3 Allan Ala'alatoa 2 Folau Fainga'a 1 James Slipper

16 Brandon Paenga-Amosa 17 Scott Sio 18 Taniela Tupou 19 Matt Philip / Ned Hanigan 20 Rob Valetini 21 Joe Powell 22 Reece Hodge 23 Jack Maddocks

And then try to get a series v the Maori or Samoa/Tonga of:

15 Jock Campbell 14 Tom Wright 13 Hunter Paisami 12 Irae Simone 11 Filipo Daugunu 10 Noah Loloesio* / Will Harrison 9 Tate McDermott 8 Harry Wilson 7 Liam Wright 6 Lachie Swinton 5 Angus Blyth 4 Darcy Swain 3 Harry Johnson-Holmes 2 Jordan Uelese 1 Harry Hoopert

16 Alex Mafi 17 Dane Zander 18 Tom Robertson 19 Trevor Hosea 20 Fergus Lee Warner 21 Ryan Louwrens* / Jake Gordon 22 Will Harrison / Hamish Stewart 23 Byron Ralston

*if available

dru

Tim Horan (67)
For a 5 test series v the All Blacks, I'd pick this team.

15 Tom Banks 14 Jordan Petaia 13 Tevita Kuridrani 12 Matt To'omua 11 Marika Koroibete 10 James O'Connor 9 Nic White 8 Isi Naisirani 7 Michael Hooper 6 Pete Samu 5 Lukhan Salakai-Loto 4 Rob Simmons* / Matt Philip 3 Allan Ala'alatoa 2 Folau Fainga'a 1 James Slipper

16 Brandon Paenga-Amosa 17 Scott Sio 18 Taniela Tupou 19 Matt Philip / Ned Hanigan 20 Rob Valetini 21 Joe Powell 22 Reece Hodge 23 Jack Maddocks

And then try to get a series v the Maori or Samoa/Tonga of:

15 Jock Campbell 14 Tom Wright 13 Hunter Paisami 12 Irae Simone 11 Filipo Daugunu 10 Noah Loloesio* / Will Harrison 9 Tate McDermott 8 Harry Wilson 7 Liam Wright 6 Lachie Swinton 5 Angus Blyth 4 Darcy Swain 3 Harry Johnson-Holmes 2 Jordan Uelese 1 Harry Hoopert

16 Alex Mafi 17 Dane Zander 18 Tom Robertson 19 Trevor Hosea 20 Fergus Lee Warner 21 Ryan Louwrens* / Jake Gordon 22 Will Harrison / Hamish Stewart 23 Byron Ralston

*if available

Superb work Reg. I'd still be locking Petaia at 13, move to the second team if necessary. I'd also be tempted to make To'omua a multi-role finisher and start Simone at 12.

Love your Australia A.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Caveat didn't see the Rebels vs Force game (can I still vote ? )

1 - Sio
2 - FF (Folau Fainga'a)
3 Thor
4 Frost
5 Blyth
6 Valetini
7 Wright
8 Wilson
9 Powell
10 JOC (James O'Connor)
11 Wright
12 Simone
13 Paisami
14 Petaia
15 Campbell

16 BPA
17 Slipper
18 AAA
19 LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
20 McReight
21 Fines
22 TK
23 Murihead

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Superb work Reg. I'd still be locking Petaia at 13, move to the second team if necessary. I'd also be tempted to make To'omua a multi-role finisher and start Simone at 12.

Love your Australia A.

my thinking is that this international season is a write off. 5 tests v the ABs is a lost cause with a new coach and so many issues around playing. Chuck just a solid team there, and let the rookies bond in a separate series.

In saying that, we may end up blowing up the Giteau Clause anyway

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
My list tries to find who I felt was best in each position that actually played, not the WB team I might select and no Waratahs as they had the bye. And to select them where they did play, not where I think they should play.

1. Sio
2. BPA
3. Tupou
4. Blyth
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Valetini
7. Wright
8. Naisarani
9. Powel
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Koroibete
12. Simone
13. Paisami
14. Petaia
15. Campbell

16. Uelese
17. Zander
18. AAA
19. Philip
20. Wilson
21. Edit: Prior [noone stood out for me so I'll leave it blank.}
22. To'omua
23. Banks

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Something that comes out of that excercise is while we seem to be building good depth in most areas, we really need the locks to stand up. They are usually the powerhouse of a forward pack and we are going to be looking a tad vanilla as we go through the depth of locking stocks.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
My list tries to find who I felt was best in each position that actually played, not the WB team I might select and no Waratahs as they had the bye. And to select them where they did play, not where I think they should play.

21. Prior

Prior didn't play on the weekend.........

Reactions: dru

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
My team of the week for round 5.........

1. Sio
2. Fainga'a
3. Tupou
4. Blyth
5. Frost
6. Valetini
7. Wright
8. Naisarani
9. Powell
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Koroibete
12. Simone
13. Kuridrani
14. Petaia
15. Campbell

16. Uelese
17. Zander
18. Ala'alatoa
19. Lee-Warner
20. Wilson
21. Malolua
22. Lance
23. Banks

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Something that comes out of that excercise is while we seem to be building good depth in most areas, we really need the locks to stand up. They are usually the powerhouse of a forward pack and we are going to be looking a tad vanilla as we go through the depth of locking stocks.

Mentioned this in the other thread but Rennie seems to have confirmed he will ask for overseas based locks to be called back.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
If we're picking a team based on round 5 alone, I can't see how you're starting Powell. What am I missing that a large portion wants him starting? I personally didn't see much from him on Saturday night, I don't recall him having any runs or questioned the line to ensure the pillar and post hold their lines. He did do the basics for a halfback well in kicking and passing.

ESPN has the Brumbies at 166 runs for 356m with the Reds 121 runs for 509m.

So, those who picked him, what do you want in your 9?