• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby AU Team of the Week

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Personally I don't rate Powell as an international 9, unless you keen on the 3 steps in direction he wants to pass, though I may being harsh and need to watch him harder in a few games. Really need a top 10 to put hand up, I think that is so important going forward, while JOC (James O'Connor) is ok as fill in he beetr in misfield, I wouldn't be all that keen to be a midfield back outside Powell and JOC (James O'Connor).

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
If we're picking a team based on round 5 alone, I can't see how you're starting Powell. What am I missing that a large portion wants him starting? I personally didn't see much from him on Saturday night, I don't recall him having any runs or questioned the line to ensure the pillar and post hold their lines. He did do the basics for a halfback well in kicking and passing.

ESPN has the Brumbies at 166 runs for 356m with the Reds 121 runs for 509m.

So, those who picked him, what do you want in your 9?

This. Neither Lomani, Frisby or Malolua (Malolua and Lomani both being ineligible) did the basics better. McDermott didn't get enough time on the field.

Edit: side note, i actually rate Lomani particularly over Louwrens.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If we're picking a team based on round 5 alone, I can't see how you're starting Powell. What am I missing that a large portion wants him starting? I personally didn't see much from him on Saturday night, I don't recall him having any runs or questioned the line to ensure the pillar and post hold their lines. He did do the basics for a halfback well in kicking and passing.

ESPN has the Brumbies at 166 runs for 356m with the Reds 121 runs for 509m.

So, those who picked him, what do you want in your 9?

It was not a weekend for great halfback performances..........

Powell didn't have a standout game but he was the best of the bunch.

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
Here's my team for the week having watched both games:

1. Sio (BRU)
2. Fainga'a (BRU)
3. Tupou (RED)
4. Frost (BRU)
5. Lee-Warner (FOR)
6. Wilson (RED)
7. Wright (RED)
8. Naisarani (REB)
9. Frisby (FOR)
10. JOC (James O'Connor) (RED)
11. Korobeite (REB)
12. Simone (BRU)
13. Paisami (RED)
14. Petaia (RED)
15. Campbell (RED)

16. Ulese (REB)
17. Orr (REB)
18. AAA (BRU)
19. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (RED)
20. Valetini (BRU)
21. Powell (BRU)
22. To'omua (REB)
23. Ralston (FOR)

3 Force, 5 Rebels, 7 Brumbies, 8 Reds

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
For a 5 test series v the All Blacks, I'd pick this team.

15 Tom Banks 14 Jordan Petaia 13 Tevita Kuridrani 12 Matt To'omua 11 Marika Koroibete 10 James O'Connor 9 Nic White 8 Isi Naisirani 7 Michael Hooper 6 Pete Samu 5 Lukhan Salakai-Loto 4 Rob Simmons* / Matt Philip 3 Allan Ala'alatoa 2 Folau Fainga'a 1 James Slipper

16 Brandon Paenga-Amosa 17 Scott Sio 18 Taniela Tupou 19 Matt Philip / Ned Hanigan 20 Rob Valetini 21 Joe Powell 22 Reece Hodge 23 Jack Maddocks

And then try to get a series v the Maori or Samoa/Tonga of:

15 Jock Campbell 14 Tom Wright 13 Hunter Paisami 12 Irae Simone 11 Filipo Daugunu 10 Noah Loloesio* / Will Harrison 9 Tate McDermott 8 Harry Wilson 7 Liam Wright 6 Lachie Swinton 5 Angus Blyth 4 Darcy Swain 3 Harry Johnson-Holmes 2 Jordan Uelese 1 Harry Hoopert

16 Alex Mafi 17 Dane Zander 18 Tom Robertson 19 Trevor Hosea 20 Fergus Lee Warner 21 Ryan Louwrens* / Jake Gordon 22 Will Harrison / Hamish Stewart 23 Byron Ralston

*if available

Did you even read the rules!

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Here's my team for the week having watched both games:

1. Sio (BRU)
2. Fainga'a (BRU)
3. Tupou (RED)
4. Frost (BRU)
5. Lee-Warner (FOR)
6. Wilson (RED)
7. Wright (RED)
8. Naisarani (REB)
9. Frisby (FOR)
10. JOC (James O'Connor) (RED)
11. Korobeite (REB)
12. Simone (BRU)
13. Paisami (RED)
14. Petaia (RED)
15. Campbell (RED)

16. Ulese (REB)
17. Orr (REB)
18. AAA (BRU)
19. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (RED)
20. Valetini (BRU)
21. Powell (BRU)
22. To'omua (REB)
23. Ralston (FOR)

3 Force, 5 Rebels, 7 Brumbies, 8 Reds

Some may say - but the Brumbies won, but it's tough to make individual selections based on a pack effort (mauls)

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
For a 5 test series v the All Blacks, I'd pick this team.

15 Tom Banks 14 Jordan Petaia 13 Tevita Kuridrani 12 Matt To'omua 11 Marika Koroibete 10 James O'Connor 9 Nic White 8 Isi Naisirani 7 Michael Hooper 6 Pete Samu 5 Lukhan Salakai-Loto 4 Rob Simmons* / Matt Philip 3 Allan Ala'alatoa 2 Folau Fainga'a 1 James Slipper

16 Brandon Paenga-Amosa 17 Scott Sio 18 Taniela Tupou 19 Matt Philip / Ned Hanigan 20 Rob Valetini 21 Joe Powell 22 Reece Hodge 23 Jack Maddocks

And then try to get a series v the Maori or Samoa/Tonga of:

15 Jock Campbell 14 Tom Wright 13 Hunter Paisami 12 Irae Simone 11 Filipo Daugunu 10 Noah Loloesio* / Will Harrison 9 Tate McDermott 8 Harry Wilson 7 Liam Wright 6 Lachie Swinton 5 Angus Blyth 4 Darcy Swain 3 Harry Johnson-Holmes 2 Jordan Uelese 1 Harry Hoopert

16 Alex Mafi 17 Dane Zander 18 Tom Robertson 19 Trevor Hosea 20 Fergus Lee Warner 21 Ryan Louwrens* / Jake Gordon 22 Will Harrison / Hamish Stewart 23 Byron Ralston

*if available
I'd love to see those 2 teams play each other rather than endless Bledisloes (and not only because we'd have a guarenteed Oz win:)
Also agree that numbering that way is Pants

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I've been collating the results so just some comments/observations:

- for the purpose of TOTW I will make the locks interchangeable. However will select correctly for the end of season team.
- similar with the wings.
- if people select props on the wrong side I will rectify that. However if someone were to select 2 LHP or 2 THP the votes will stand in the numbers submitted.
- flankers similar.
- if a player who didn't play, or one who is not Wallabies eligible, is selected I will remove him from their list, that space will just be vacant
- in a realisation that will please Brumby Runner no end, every team will be play 5 games except the Tahs will only play 4 games, so Tahs players will be disadvantaged when it comes to the team of the season. To compensate I can either add 25% to all the Waratahs players' votes, or can just tally the result from the last 5 weeks. Open to suggestions.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I've been collating the results so just some comments/observations:

- for the purpose of TOTW I will make the locks interchangeable. However will select correctly for the end of season team.
- similar with the wings.
- if people select props on the wrong side I will rectify that. However if someone were to select 2 LHP or 2 THP the votes will stand in the numbers submitted.
- if a player who didn't play is selected I will remove him from their list, that space will just be vacant
- in a realisation that will please Brumby Runner no end, every team will be play 5 games except the Tahs will only play 4 games, so Tahs players will be disadvantaged when it comes to the team of the season. To compensate I can either add 25% to all the Waratahs players' votes, or can just tally the result from the last 5 weeks. Open to suggestions.

Tally last 5 games.

BTW good work!

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
It looks like all the votes are in and as it’s the test run I’ll get this one out early. The official round 5 GAGR team of the week is:

1. S. Sio (BRU)
2. F. Fainga'a (BRU)
3. T. Tupou (RED)
4. A. Blyth (RED)
5. L. Solokai-Loto (RED)
6. R. Valetini (BRU)
7. L. Wright (RED)
8. I. Naisarani (REB)
9. J. Powell (BRU)
10. J. O’Connor (RED)
11. M. Koroibete (REB)
12. I. Simone (BRU)
13. H. Paisami (RED)
14. J. Petaia (RED)
15. J. Campbell (RED)

16. B. Paenga-Amosa (RED)
17. J. Slipper (BRU)
18. A. Ala'alatoa (BRU)
19. N. Frost (BRU)
20. H. Wilson (RED)
21. T. McDermott (RED)
22. M. To'omua (REB)
23. T. Kuridrani (BRU)

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That's a pretty bloody good team and strong bench KOB. While I voted JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 and seriously thought it was the best game I've seen from in that spot, I still think the No 10 position is the most in question as far as upcoming test matches are concerned.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
I saw one one on an article on theroar.com.au

Worst team. Rubbish.

Yeah I saw that team on the other site, it was ridiculous. It claimed to be based on form so far this year and yet had Frost and Petaia picked over others who have colllectively not even played two games between them. They may well turn out to be great picks but Im not quite sure the author gets the general definition of "current form".